BajaNomad

Starlink in San Felipe

WestyWanderer - 11-16-2023 at 07:24 PM

My in-laws spend half the year in southern California and half the year in Puertecitos.

They're considering Starlink but would want to move it back to Southern California each year when they come home for the season.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

pacificobob - 11-17-2023 at 02:49 AM

I'm also curious about this. Additionally, could the account be Mexican (cheaper?), yet usable in the north?

RFClark - 11-17-2023 at 04:02 AM

WW,

We use a US StarLink in Rancho Nuevo. Cost is $145/mo. The reason we haven't replaced it with the $55/mo Mexican StarLink is the US unit provides a US IP address even in Mexico.

If the US IP address isn’t important I would buy a Mexican unit, leave it in Mexico and either turn the service off when not there or use it for site security.

Advantages to having a US IP address. Streaming US content because the apps think you are in the US, if you have WiFi calling your phone co thinks you’re in the US, having your internet not switch to Spanish while in Mexico, having your financial apps think you are in the US.

[Edited on 11-17-2023 by RFClark]

Cancamo - 11-17-2023 at 08:16 AM

Starlink Roam Mexico;

As per their website,

* 8300 pesos for the hardware.
* 1350 pesos a month.
* Billing one month at a time with ability to pause service.
* Functional anywhere in the continent, (N. America).

PaulW - 11-17-2023 at 09:26 AM

Starlink proven strategy:
Buy in either San Felipe of the US and carry it back an forth.
Delivery in San Felipe is directly from Starlink, just like it is if you buy in the states. Performance will be the same either place.
If you buy in or near San Felipe I would suggest using pickup at AXP Logistics in town.

RFClark - 11-17-2023 at 10:52 AM

We had ours delivered to our realitor in San Felipe.

HeyMulegeScott - 11-17-2023 at 04:06 PM

Our Mexican Starlink with portability option and tax is $1,350.00 pesos a month. We did use it in the US this year from June - November. I don't think you can get the portability option anymore so you have to change your service address manually in the app and they can according to terms of service cut you off after two months but haven't heard of that happening.

WestyWanderer - 11-17-2023 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
WW,

We use a US StarLink in Rancho Nuevo. Cost is $145/mo. The reason we haven't replaced it with the $55/mo Mexican StarLink is the US unit provides a US IP address even in Mexico.

If the US IP address isn’t important I would buy a Mexican unit, leave it in Mexico and either turn the service off when not there or use it for site security.

Advantages to having a US IP address. Streaming US content because the apps think you are in the US, if you have WiFi calling your phone co thinks you’re in the US, having your internet not switch to Spanish while in Mexico, having your financial apps think you are in the US.

[Edited on 11-17-2023 by RFClark]

RF, that’s a good point about the US IP address.

Reason for the switch would be to save money. Now they have internet in Mexico and in the states, trying to figure out if they can get one system and use it both places.

Thanks all for the info this far.

WestyWanderer - 11-17-2023 at 08:53 PM

They still offer a portability option, it’s called Roam, and they’re quoting $1,350mx / month.

Mulege Scott, how does it work streaming for you? Does it default to the Mx programming?

HeyMulegeScott - 11-18-2023 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
They still offer a portability option, it’s called Roam, and they’re quoting $1,350mx / month.

Mulege Scott, how does it work streaming for you? Does it default to the Mx programming?

Works great for streaming very fast. We use Nord VPN to switch to a US IP when needed.

WestyWanderer - 11-18-2023 at 08:26 PM

Awesome, I’ll look into Nord.

Thanks everyone for the responses, appreciate it