BajaNomad

New US regs to bring dogs back to states

Doug/Vamonos - 5-10-2024 at 05:36 PM

I haven't seen this discussed here. It's confusing to me and I worked in the government 35 years! Looks like mandatory chips for dogs and paperwork or they won't allow you to cross northbound beginning in August.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-...

AKgringo - 5-10-2024 at 05:52 PM

I'm going to have to read through that a few times, just to make sure I follow the right turns. As of 4/28 they were not interested in seeing any paperwork for my 90 pound co-pilot.

The only mention made about her was to keep her in the front seat while the agent went through my ice chest. She confiscated some opened lunch meat and wouldn't even let me give it to my dog!

I was crossing northbound at San Luis

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by AKgringo]

tjsue - 5-10-2024 at 06:23 PM

I wonder how it's going to affect the rescues that bring the dogs across the border to be adopted.

[Edited on 6-2-2024 by tjsue]

[Edited on 6-2-2024 by tjsue]

AKgringo - 5-10-2024 at 06:38 PM

I have crossed once or twice a year with my dog since 2012. Only once have I been asked for proof of vaccinations, and even then the agent did not even look at the paper I was holding.

If I was bringing a dog into the US, I would go ahead and get a Mexican veterinarian to do the vaccinations and sign some paperwork. Getting the vaccs is the right thing to do, and that would probably be accepted if they even ask.

Flying in with a dog is probably different.

surabi - 5-10-2024 at 07:31 PM

FYI Mexico is a dog rabies-free country.

pacificobob - 5-10-2024 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I'm going to have to read through that a few times, just to make sure I follow the right turns. As of 4/28 they were not interested in seeing any paperwork for my 90 pound co-pilot.

The only mention made about her was to keep her in the front seat while the agent went through my ice chest. She confiscated some opened lunch meat and wouldn't even let me give it to my dog!

That sort of move like preventing you from giving your dog the lunch meat so it could be "more appropriately" disposed of is such bullchit. I loose what little respect i have for law enforcement when witnessing such silly behavior.

surabi - 5-10-2024 at 09:52 PM

I once was flying from Vancouver to Mexico, with a plane change in the US, so had to go through US customs at the Vancouver airport. I had an apple with me, which was part of what I was going to eat for breakfast while waiting for the plane to board. They told me I had to throw the apple in the garbage. I said I was planning on eating it in 5 minutes in the boarding area, not importing it to the US, and that I would eat it right then and there if necessary. She made me throw it in the garbage can. So ridiculous and a total waste of food, just to be an officious jerk.

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 5-11-2024 at 06:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

That sort of move like preventing you from giving your dog the lunch meat so it could be "more appropriately" disposed of is such bullchit. I loose what little respect i have for law enforcement when witnessing such silly behavior.

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I once was flying from Vancouver to Mexico, with a plane change in the US, so had to go through US customs at the Vancouver airport. I had an apple with me, which was part of what I was going to eat for breakfast while waiting for the plane to board. They told me I had to throw the apple in the garbage. I said I was planning on eating it in 5 minutes in the boarding area, not importing it to the US, and that I would eat it right then and there if necessary. She made me throw it in the garbage can. So ridiculous and a total waste of food, just to be an officious jerk.

You people are ridiculous prima donnas. The customs lines deal with an endless stream of people, the customs officers cant be adjusting rules for every prima donna that crosses each day.
No, you cant feed your illegal meat to your dog.
No, you cant keep your illegal fruit for a snack.
No, the line cant wait while you eat your apple and feed your dog.
Customs is one size fits all. Follow the rules, and don't ask for special rule bending because you are feeling special.

AKgringo - 5-11-2024 at 09:59 AM

Back on topic, as Surabi pointed out, Mexico has made great progress in preventing animal to human rabies infections. If that is the case, why wouldn't a Mexican veterinary certificate of vaccination be acceptable?

For what it is worth, despite the progress Mexico has made by vaccinating dogs, there are other animals that can carry rabies, and sometimes without symptoms.

"She wouldn't even let me feed it to my dog."

AKgringo - 5-11-2024 at 10:42 AM

That line led to all these off-topic rants? Come on people, this thread is about dogs, not dogma! How about some edits to stay on topic?

mtgoat666 - 5-11-2024 at 10:55 AM

That line led to all these off-topic rants? Come on people, this thread is about dogs, not dogma! How about some edits to stay on topic?

Know the rules. Be prepared. Plan ahead. And don't complain when you screw up and it is your fault.
I clean my car of verboten items before i cross the border.
I empty my water bottle before i go thru TSA at airport.
I guy gasoline before my vehicle’s tank runs dry.
If i am inconvenienced because i forget to do these things, i don't lash out at others, i blame myself.

pacificobob - 5-11-2024 at 10:57 AM

I was crossing at Tecate some years back with my dogs. When the grumpy lady asked for the health certificates.....and then protested about them being in Spanish . She felt better after confiscating a single hard boiled egg from the cooler.

surabi - 5-11-2024 at 11:38 AM

She felt better after confiscating a single hard boiled egg from the cooler.

I think it's good to have some innocuous but nevertheless "verboten" item with you, which you obviously haven't made any attempt to hide, when crossing borders as a sort of decoy to being majorly hassled. Once they find something like a hard boiled egg, an apple, or an open package of sandwich meat, they can confiscate it and feel they've done their job and let you know who's boss.

Maderita - 5-11-2024 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
I haven't seen this discussed here. It's confusing to me and I worked in the government 35 years! Looks like mandatory chips for dogs and paperwork or they won't allow you to cross northbound beginning in August.

Back to topic:
Mexico is not on the list of "High Risk" countries.

If a country or political unit is not listed below, it is not considered high risk for importing dog rabies into the United States. Therefore, if the country is not listed, CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies, but the additional requirements for dogs from high-risk countries to enter the United States do not apply.

[Edited on 5-17-2024 by Maderita]

AKgringo - 5-11-2024 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Mexico is not on the list of "High Risk" countries. It appears that these new regulations, therefore, Do Not apply.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I am concerned not just with being legal, I want my dog to stay healthy as well, so I keep her current with vaccinations against strictly canine diseases.

mtgoat666 - 5-11-2024 at 12:26 PM

I think it's good to have some innocuous but nevertheless "verboten" item with you, which you obviously haven't made any attempt to hide, when crossing borders as a sort of decoy to being majorly hassled. Once they find something like a hard boiled egg, an apple, or an open package of sandwich meat, they can confiscate it and feel they've done their job and let you know who's boss.

Why would I flock around with decoys to distract agent from contraband? They will yank my sentri. I am willing to throw away food now and then to continue my sentri privilege… and i dont bring in alcohol or goods above the allowable limits (‘cause i like my sentri), so i dont see need for decoys.

surabi - 5-11-2024 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
but now your dog needs to prove it’s healthy to get across. The USA has lost its mind

Sounds as if you aren't aware that if bitten by a dog that is carrying rabies, immediate treatment is necessary to prevent the spread of infection or the disease is fatal. Not only fatal, but the symptoms experienced before dying are horrible.

It isn't about dogs being healthy, it's about preventing rabies infections and death if bitten.

cupcake - 5-11-2024 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Back to topic:
Mexico is not on the list of "High Risk" countries. It appears that these new regulations, therefore, Do Not apply.

If a country or political unit is not listed below, it is not considered high risk for importing dog rabies into the United States. Therefore, if the country is not listed, CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies, but the additional requirements for dogs from high-risk countries to enter the United States do not apply.

¨Therefore, if the country is not listed, CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies, but the additional requirements for dogs from high-risk countries to enter the United States do not apply.¨

CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies

While Mexico was certified by the WHO as being a country without dog to human transmission of rabies, it should be understood that this type of situation is susceptible to change. It evolves over tme. And, dog rabies cases are still found in Mexico. They just haven´t had a confirmed dog to human transmission in many years.

As an example, look at the situation experienced in Bali in the not too distant past. There never had been a confirmed case of dog rabies there, and never a case of dog to human rabies transmission. It was a well known fact that you could not get rabies from a dog bite in Bali, so post exposure rabies treatment was not given to people that were biten by dogs. Then the day came when a person did get rabies from a dog bite on Bali. Before the change in the situation could be fully understood and new information disseminated, 100 people had died on Bali of rabies contracted via dog bites.

In Mexico, cattle are the main reservoir for rabies (and thousands of them are found to be rabid every year in Mexico), while the vampire bat is the main vector for the spread of the virus to other species. Historically, the vampire bat has not inhabited northern Mexico, but this is thought to be changing now, with vampire bats being found recently as far north as southern Texas.

It really is a good idea to keep your dogs up to date on rabies vaccination.

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by cupcake]

surabi - 5-11-2024 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Why would I flock around with decoys to distract agent from contraband?

I didn't say anything about "distracting from contraband". Trying to smuggle contraband across borders is quite foolish.

By "decoy" I meant that if they find some innocuous thing like a piece of fruit and confiscate it, they usually
seem satisfied and then just wave you on through without any further hassles.

Other rabies vectors

AKgringo - 5-11-2024 at 01:07 PM

I have not run into any racoons in Baja, but my dog and I have had interactions with skunks, foxes and coyotes. Any one of them has the potential to pass the disease to my dog, or me if for some reason I can't stay away from them!

A bite is the usual way they pass rabies, but animals grooming each other, or even just playing hard could do it. Open wounds, eyes and mucus membranes are potential entry points.

surabi - 5-11-2024 at 01:23 PM

Regardless of border crossing requirements, anyone who cares about their dog will get them vaxed against rabies and other dog diseases. Dogs can get rabies from contact with other infected animals.

Once when I was in elementary school, us kids couldn't leave at the end of the day, because a rabid dog had somehow gotten into the front doors of the school and was trapped between the outer and inner glass doors. They were waiting for animal control to arrive. I remember standing there with the rest of the kids watching the dog through the doors. It was foaming at the mouth, and throwing itself against the doors. It was horrible.

I once read an account by a human who contracted rabies and miraculously survived. He described feeling as if you are drowning, as the salivary glands go crazy and liquid continually fills your throat and mouth.

cupcake - 5-11-2024 at 01:46 PM

About seven weeks ago, I was biten by a dog in TJ. I was just walking on the sidewalk back to my hotel in the evening. Dogs often become more aggressive in the evening, and this dog ran out of the car parking lot where it lives, onto the sidewalk and bite me before I even knew it was there. I was greatly relieved to read online of Mexico´s wonderfully succesful effort of vaccinating dogs against rabies throughout the country. However, as a layperson who knows something about rabies, having been bitten by dogs in India, where thousands of people die every year from dog contracted rabies (and where I received post exposure rabies prophylaxis), I still came back in ten days time to see that the dog was alive. It was, which means I could not have been infected with rabies via that particular dog bite (the dog would have been dead within ten days had it been capable of transmitting the rabies virus when it bite me). I also stopped by to see the dog again, at the one month post bite mark. Still alive and healthy. Never been so happy to see a bad dog...

[Edited on 5-12-2024 by cupcake]

pacificobob - 5-11-2024 at 05:15 PM

That's a tried and true method. Lots of contraband has been overlooked while the inspector is distracted by a piece of fruit.

[Edited on 5-12-2024 by pacificobob]

Bajazly - 5-12-2024 at 09:10 AM

The free speech clause only applies to the government, and it doesn't protect you from being called out and shown the door when applicable.

Back on topic, will most vets down here do a rabies vaccination? Pretty sure mine aren't going to the states ever but might as well get it done.

surabi - 5-12-2024 at 09:48 AM

Yes, as far as I'm aware all vets in Mexico have all the dog shots available including rabies.
And in the US, the rabies shots are good for 5 years, I think, but in Mexico only for 1 year. My vet said it's because it's a different type of rabies shot, but I don't know if that's actually true.

One good thing- vet services are so much less expensive in Mexico than the US,as long as you don't go to vets who cater to tourists and expats
My dog's yearly shots cost about 400 pesos.

AKgringo - 5-12-2024 at 10:06 AM

Here, the first rabies shot was good for a year, then every three years after that.

pacificobob - 5-12-2024 at 10:30 AM

Mexican law rabies vax 1 year
USA 3 years
Anti vaxers,?

AKgringo - 5-12-2024 at 10:51 AM

USA 3 years
Anti vaxers,?

I only allow vaccinations in her left butt cheek. The right cheek remains unspoiled!

surabi - 5-12-2024 at 05:39 PM

USA 3 years
Anti vaxers,?

Yeah, my dog started in on an anti-vax rant (even though I really try to monitor what she reads online) but I told her no treats for a month, so she shut up about it, and relented. :lol:

[Edited on 5-13-2024 by surabi]

Doug/Vamonos - 5-12-2024 at 07:05 PM

Every time I post here I wonder why the hell did I do that? I was hopeful for an intelligent conversation about the new regs.

With that said, someone mentioned that Mexico is a rabies safe country and therefore not applicable. My read of the regs isn't the same. What I seemed to understand is ALL dogs must have the chip that satisfies the international requirements. And the dogs must have the rabies docs and international travel papers. Is that what you see?

Lee - 5-13-2024 at 08:56 AM

Every time I post here I wonder why the hell did I do that? I was hopeful for an intelligent conversation about the new regs.

With that said, someone mentioned that Mexico is a rabies safe country and therefore not applicable. My read of the regs isn't the same. What I seemed to understand is ALL dogs must have the chip that satisfies the international requirements. And the dogs must have the rabies docs and international travel papers. Is that what you see?

If you're looking for definitive and intelligent conversation you might have come to the wrong place.

If US regs call for appropriate paperwork AND chip, then that's the best route to take. Get the chip and do the paperwork.

There might be a lag for these regs to make it to border agents.

Just do it.

KaceyJ - 5-13-2024 at 09:31 AM

From my read, only one of the categories apply here: Mostly*

"Required documents for dogs ((That Departed) the United States and have been only in dog rabies-free or low-risk countries during the 6 months before entry:

Mexico is not on CDC high risk list

It looks like for the majority here , the only thing that changes is to have a CDC Dog Import Form receipt

*Mostly - I say this because I imagine the majority here are going from the US to Baja and back and most will have a dog health certificate . If you don't , there are more hoops .

AKgringo - 5-13-2024 at 10:03 AM

I apologize for my part in veering off topic, and I agree with Lee that I should know, and comply with the requirements for crossing the border with dogs.

I have done my best over the last thirty years traveling from AK to CA and Baja to get it right, and so far have not had a problem. This is what I have experienced;

Traveling by air, the regulations have always been strictly enforced.
Traveling by car, they have never been strictly enforced.

That includes the Canadian border as well as Mexico.

I find it strange that a few years ago, the requirement for a health certificate ($35 added to exam and medical charges) was eliminated for land crossings, but now they are going to require a micro-chip to scan?

My dogs have been chipped, but are they commonly available in Mexico?

My guess is that it is because a photo ID for a dog is impractical, and they want to make sure the shot records presented are for the dog presented.

I am sure that every airline will have chip scanners, but unless a driver is sent to secondary inspection, there will likely be none at the border agent booth.

[Edited on 5-13-2024 by AKgringo]

surfhat - 5-13-2024 at 11:03 AM

Doug, it appears a troll is on the warpath again on Baja Nomad. He/she is quite persistent. Let's all hope he/she gets bored and moves on.

Ignoring all the posts is highly recommended, since attention appears to be the motivation.

We do get all kinds, at times. Thanks for keeping Nomad going. I am sure at times it is quite trying.

mtgoat666 - 5-13-2024 at 01:53 PM

I apologize for my part in veering off topic, and I agree with Lee that I should know, and comply with the requirements for crossing the border with dogs.

I have done my best over the last thirty years traveling from AK to CA and Baja to get it right, and so far have not had a problem. This is what I have experienced;

Traveling by air, the regulations have always been strictly enforced.
Traveling by car, they have never been strictly enforced.

That includes the Canadian border as well as Mexico.

I find it strange that a few years ago, the requirement for a health certificate ($35 added to exam and medical charges) was eliminated for land crossings, but now they are going to require a micro-chip to scan?

My dogs have been chipped, but are they commonly available in Mexico?

My guess is that it is because a photo ID for a dog is impractical, and they want to make sure the shot records presented are for the dog presented.

I am sure that every airline will have chip scanners, but unless a driver is sent to secondary inspection, there will likely be none at the border agent booth.

Here is a good idea: add microchips to the vaccines! Easy peasy to track your dog and at same time verify vaccination status!

We should do that with human vaccines too, many practical applications in governance and enforcement :lol::lol:

liknbaja127 - 5-13-2024 at 06:09 PM

We take our dog back and forth, 6 or 7 times a year, he has had his shots and chiped! When we frist started taking him, my wife had to get him his DOGGY
PASSPORT! It has all his papers, and shot info. inside. After 3 years we have never been asked for any thing! But if they do we should be ready. Goat may have gone a little off topic, but I do agree with him about his border crossing rules! As we to do Sentry, and want to stay in there good graces! FYI she got the doggie passport on Amazon if you should want one.

AKgringo - 5-13-2024 at 06:55 PM

I will check in to getting one of those passports, it sounds like it would be handy if we wind up flying again. As for the agent at San Luis, she would not even look at the papers I had in my hand.

I was as polite and cooperative as I could be, but it seemed like she was having a bad day and wanted to share it!

stillnbaja - 5-13-2024 at 07:07 PM

from the SD Reader......
Due to Mexico’s sweeping rabies campaign and free vaccination program, they have been officially rabies-free since 2019, and the last two cases of dog-to-human transfer occurred in 2006.

I have travelled across the border dozens of times with my dog – and several fosters to new permanent homes – over the past decade. I have never once been asked for any paperwork, health certificates, or vaccination records. Rabies vaccinations may be required for air travel, cruise ships, and when entering certain states but were not required over the past few years since Mexico was declared rabies-free.

Now new CDC requirements for people traveling with their dogs from Mexico, whether the dog is from the U.S. or Mexico, include a microchip, a CDC form electronically filled out, and applicable vaccinations or health certificates. All information is to be tied to the microchip. The requirements come from a federal bill sponsored in 2020, the Healthy Dog Importation Act, which never got a vote.

The original intent was to control cross-border puppy mills that do so to avoid certain state or federal domestic rules. That bill, however, struck down section 18, which defined ‘importer’ as “any person who, for purposes of resale, transports into the United States puppies from a foreign country”, and resale as “any transfer of ownership or control of an imported dog of less than 6 months of age to another person.”

In the CDC regulations going into effect on August 1, 2024, ‘importer’ now means, “any person bringing a dog into the US, pet, rescue, or otherwise.” There are several sections in the new announcement, including ‘All Dogs’ and ‘Dogs from Low-Risk or Rabies-Free Countries’.

A fuss in veterinary and expat circles has bubbled up. The CDC suggested timeline, for one, begins 60 to 90 days before crossing the border in either direction, and requires signatures and official stamp, photo, and more. The electronic form is not yet available and won’t be until July 15, and as expats or tourists (including me) get our dogs vaccinated in Mexico where we spend most of our time, it will require dealing with a sluggish bureaucracy to get the required ‘official government veterinarian’ stamp.

Rescue operations are inundated with dogs on both sides of the border. The new regulations will severely hobble rescue efforts, according to insiders. Per Gabriella Stupakoff Morrison at Mulege Animal Rescue, “For the record, we are all for the CDC changing its laws since that hasn’t happened since the 50s. And we don’t disagree that a dog should be healthy before being admitted into the US. But the rest is overreaching, unnecessary (punitive even), and will place a sizable burden on our small organizations.”

Vets in the U.S. weren’t even notified. I was in a back-and-forth with Rebecca Lemmon, a vet who had no clue of the policy before it’s release. She said that there is quite an uproar on the Veterinary Information Network. “Lots of frustrated people. And I mean, we just found out this week so over the next month or two it’ll get noisier. Especially when people start figuring out what they have to do with their dog.” At this point, the new regs are staggering to many, and if anyone is planning travel to Baja with their dog and return on or after August 1, they better read up on the new regs and follow them to a T, because as per the CDC, they will be turned back at the border.

Doug/Vamonos - 5-14-2024 at 09:28 AM

Hey Stillinbaja! Outstanding response! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm going north for my bro's wedding August 10 so this is an issue for me. One dog chipped 12 years ago. One no chip. Do you know if chips from 12 years ago even include the rabies information the CDC is looking for? Actually that is a stupid question because obviously they wouldn't include any data other than what was entered in the database at that time. Thank you so much and I look forward to your updates about this issue.

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]

cupcake - 5-14-2024 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Doug, it appears a troll is on the warpath again on Baja Nomad. He/she is quite persistent. Let's all hope he/she gets bored and moves on.

Ignoring all the posts is highly recommended, since attention appears to be the motivation.

We do get all kinds, at times. Thanks for keeping Nomad going. I am sure at times it is quite trying.

The only 'troll post' I see in this thread is yours ^^.

surabi - 5-14-2024 at 12:17 PM

A bunch of responses were removed.

surfhat isn't a troll- their profile shows they have been a
forum member here for 12 years.

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by surabi]

cupcake - 5-14-2024 at 12:29 PM

...someone mentioned that Mexico is a rabies safe country and therefore not applicable. My read of the regs isn't the same. What I seemed to understand is ALL dogs must have the chip that satisfies the international requirements. And the dogs must have the rabies docs and international travel papers. Is that what you see?

This might be a more helpful link than the one that started this thread:

CDC info found via this link states that all dogs must have an ISO compatible microchip and that it be implanted prior to rabies vaccination.

After the 'all dogs' section on this webpage, you will need to identify the situation specific category for your dog, and then determine how best to meet those specific requirements.

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by cupcake]

cupcake - 5-14-2024 at 12:58 PM

Hey Stillinbaja! Outstanding response! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm going north for my bro's wedding August 10 so this is an issue for me. One dog chipped 12 years ago. One no chip. Do you know if chips from 12 years ago even include the rabies information the CDC is looking for? Actually that is a stupid question because obviously they wouldn't include any data other than what was entered in the database at that time. Thank you so much and I look forward to your updates about this issue.

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]

Any rabies vaccination your dog received 12 years ago will no longer represent a current protection against rabies. The dog would need to have received booster rabies injections since the chip was implanted. It is possible to have your dog's medical records (vaccinations, etc.) be made accessible via the microchip, and this information is updatable (depending on the microchip and service).

https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/pet-owners/petcare/micr...

https://www.thewelldogplace.com/blog/why-does-my-dog-need-a-...

cupcake - 5-14-2024 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  
from the SD Reader......
Due to Mexico’s sweeping rabies campaign and free vaccination program, they have been officially rabies-free since 2019, and the last two cases of dog-to-human transfer occurred in 2006.

I appreciate your intelligent response to this thread. Please take my following obervations and posted information in the good nature it is intended...

Mexico was declared free of dog-to-human rabies transmission at a given moment in time, 2019, by the WHO (World Health Organization).

The WHO citation for Mexico does not mean that dog-to-human rabies transmssion is impossible in Mexico. It also does not mean that every dog in Mexico has been vaccinated against rabies. What it means is Mexico has done such a good job with dog vaccination AND post dog bite treatment that Mexico has gone many years without a confirmed dog-to-human rabies transmission. As I posted previously, this can change over time.

I don't know what the outcome has been of this January 2023 reported event (excerpt below link):
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/public-health-authorities-i...
"Over the last two months, health authorities have confirmed three rabies cases in humans and are closely monitoring 13 other possible cases, the most recent of which involves nine people who came in contact with an infected dog in Sonora...If one of the nine cases is confirmed, it will be the first time a human in Mexico has contracted rabies from a dog since 2005...It is unclear if recent cases will impact Mexico’s low-risk status."

cupcake - 5-14-2024 at 02:19 PM

¨Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico.¨
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/mexi...

The above linked information is current on the CDC website (13 March 2024). I emailed the CDC to verify this. Does it stand to reason that the fact rabid dogs are still being found in Mexico, means a dog-to-human rabies transmission is still possible? It makes sense to me. It also makes sense to the CDC, as their response to my inquiry proves:

Personal commumication to me from the CDC, specifically regarding Mexico:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The WHO has declared Mexico free from human rabies transmitted by dogs. However, some wild animals are reported to carry rabies virus in Mexico. Hence, the occurrence of rabies in dogs due to wild animal bites is still possible. The local/state health department or primary health care provider should be contacted for a complete risk assessment and vaccination recommendation.

Generally, in cases of a dog bite, the decision to start post-exposure rabies vaccination will mainly be based on health and vaccination. In case of exposure to a healthy domesticated animal that is available for 10-day observation, persons should not begin vaccination unless the animal develops clinical signs of rabies. However, in case the dog is not available for quarantine or if the dog is sick, immediate vaccination will be required."

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by cupcake]

Doug/Vamonos - 5-15-2024 at 04:24 AM

The "ISO compatible microchip" raises the question of older chips. As I stated, one of my dogs has a chip that was placed 12 years ago. Does anyone know if older chips are compatible with this standard? Thanks. I'm hopeful the veterinarian community can convince the CDC and Homeland Security that they created a cluster and agree to delay this or do some sort of soft enforcement initially.

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]

surabi - 5-15-2024 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  

The above linked information is current on the CDC website (13 March 2024). I emailed the CDC to verify this. Does it stand to reason that the fact rabid dogs are still being found in Mexico, means a dog-to-human rabies transmission is still possible? It makes sense to me. It also makes sense to the CDC, as their response to my inquiry proves:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The WHO has declared Mexico free from human rabies transmitted by dogs. However, some wild animals are reported to carry rabies virus in Mexico. Hence, the occurrence of rabies in dogs due to wild animal bites is still possible. The local/state health department or primary health care provider should be contacted for a complete risk assessment and vaccination recommendation.

The quote you led with seems to be completely at odds with the answer you got, which only says that it is possible for dogs in Mexico to contract rabies from a wild animal (which is true anywhere), but gives
zero confirmation that any "rabid dogs" in Mexico have actually been found, let alone "commonly".

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by surabi]

cupcake - 5-15-2024 at 04:59 PM

The "ISO compatible microchip" raises the question of older chips. As I stated, one of my dogs has a chip that was placed 12 years ago. Does anyone know if older chips are compatible with this standard? Thanks. I'm hopeful the veterinarian community can convince the CDC and Homeland Security that they created a cluster and agree to delay this or do some sort of soft enforcement initially.

The microchip part of this thread I have no personal experience with. I found what looks to me like a worthwhile website, so I am passing along the URL here, with excerpt below.
https://www.foundanimals.org/second-microchips-re-chip-pet/
"Remember, just knowing the chip company is not enough to tell whether your existing chip is compliant. Look to length – if the microchip number is less than 15 digits, the microchip is not ISO standard, so go ahead and re-chip away."

I agree, this new regulation looks complicated and convoluted enough that a period of acclimation for all involved would be good, both the authorities trying to effect it and those trying to comply.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by cupcake]

cupcake - 5-15-2024 at 05:15 PM

The quote you led with seems to be completely at odds with the answer you got, which only says that it is possible for dogs in Mexico to contract rabies from a wild animal (which is true anywhere), but gives
zero confirmation that any "rabid dogs" in Mexico have actually been found, let alone "commonly".

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by surabi]

I do not see any conflict in the information. The CDC states very clearly and plainly on their website that I linked: "Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico." This is why, in their personal communication to me, they give the advice to either monitor the biting dog for 10 days, or if this is not possible, start post exposure prophylaxis immediately.

Statistics on numbers of confirmed dog rabies in Mexico is not easy to come by. This linked article, published September 2021, is interesting. I believe it shows the continuing importance of post-exposure treatment. Excerpt below link:
https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2021/09/yucatan-has-not-regi...
"He warned that there are many dogs that roam the streets throughout the State, not counting the animals that have “a semi-calf life”, whose irresponsible owners do not bother to vaccinate them...He warned owners that a dog should be suspected of having rabies when it bites for no reason, as well as when it shows changes in its habitual behavior, as well as not recognizing its master, and refusing to eat or hide...In Yucatán, a total of 1,677 dog attacks have been registered as vaccinated against rabies this year, which shows an increase of 10.8 percent compared to the previous year, when the sum was 1,514."

surabi - 5-15-2024 at 06:11 PM

For sure odd behaviors in dogs or biting for no apparent reason should be cause for vigilance as far a rabies is concerned, but if there are no statistics for rabid dogs in Mexico, it's rather weird and disingenous for them to state that "Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico".

It just doesn't make sense that rabid dogs would be common in Mexico, yet the last known case of dog-human transfer was in 2006. You'd think if many dogs had rabies, someone would have been bitten by one in the last 18 years.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by surabi]

Doug/Vamonos - 5-16-2024 at 06:34 AM

And off we go again on another tangent. If you want to discuss rabies in dogs please start your own thread. This one is about the new requirements to bring your dog across the border. Thanks.

Doug/Vamonos - 5-16-2024 at 06:37 AM

The microchip part of this thread I have no personal experience with. I found what looks to me like a worthwhile website, so I am passing along the URL here, with excerpt below.
https://www.foundanimals.org/second-microchips-re-chip-pet/
"Remember, just knowing the chip company is not enough to tell whether your existing chip is compliant. Look to length – if the microchip number is less than 15 digits, the microchip is not ISO standard, so go ahead and re-chip away."

I agree, this new regulation looks complicated and convoluted enough that a period of acclimation for all involved would be good, both the authorities trying to effect it and those trying to comply.

Another great response! That is a great website. Thank you. So my dog's chip is OA12733869, which is less than 15 digits, which is not ISO compliant. Boy...we really need more guidance on this.

AKgringo - 5-16-2024 at 07:06 AM

That was a great link! My dog lost both the rabies tag and the microchip tag somewhere in the brush, so in March I went to my veterinarian and got a signed print out of both numbers.

They dd this for free, and I am pleased to see that the chip (over nine years old) is fifteen digits.

They pulled the information from my dog's records, so I think I will make another trip over there to have them re-scan her to see if it is still in place and functioning.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by AKgringo]

cupcake - 5-16-2024 at 02:16 PM

For sure odd behaviors in dogs or biting for no apparent reason should be cause for vigilance as far a rabies is concerned, but if there are no statistics for rabid dogs in Mexico, it's rather weird and disingenous for them to state that "Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico".

It just doesn't make sense that rabid dogs would be common in Mexico, yet the last known case of dog-human transfer was in 2006. You'd think if many dogs had rabies, someone would have been bitten by one in the last 18 years.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by surabi]

I moved this quote of your post and my response to a new thread on the Baja Health & Wellness forum:

Dog to Human Rabies Transmission Risk
https://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=100067#pid12...

PaulW - 5-16-2024 at 06:59 PM

My wife was walking along in Eldorado south -Solar- and a dog came out from a home and bit her on the leg. No provocation just a dog intent on attacking anyone coming nearby.
Called security who called the local cop. I demanded charges against the owner. It did not matter, nothing happened. Dog owner did not have any papers for the dog.
Wife went to the EDR clinic and got treated for a serious infection. The wound did not get better.
Drove to Yuma ER and found out the meds from the clinic were correct but she had a reaction to the meds. New meds solve the issue and she got better. Rabies not found.
Dog owners that do not use dog restraints are bad people.

surabi - 5-17-2024 at 01:13 AM

That sounds like an awful ordeal your wife went through.

But not all dogs bite and need to be restrained. I'd venture a guess that the majority of dogs kept as pets have never bitten anyone nor ever will.

I'm sure most dogs would bite if seriously provoked in some way, it's their defense mechanism. But most pet dogs don't just run out and bite someone who's walking by. If they are aggressive like that, of course they should be restrained or kept locked in a yard they can't get out of.

Unfortunately, the kind of dog owners who seem to get some kind of ego boost from having dogs which tend to be vicious also tend to be the most irresponsible dog owners. If people whose dogs ripped some kid's face off were charged and did jail time instead of simply having the dog put down and ordered not to own a dog again, people might think twice about getting pit bulls and similar breeds that are responsible for something like 90% of dog attacks and deaths.

[Edited on 5-17-2024 by surabi]

Bajatripper - 5-23-2024 at 05:46 PM

I once dropped off my wife at the Seattle airport for a return flight to La Paz. She was carrying two large jars of Skippy's peanut butter, both brand new and sealed. An agent told her she couldn't take them with her on the plane, so she called me (I was in the parking garage by that time) so I could return and pick them up. When I arrived at the screening gate, nobody knew anything about the peanut butter.

[Edited on 5-25-2024 by Bajatripper]

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2024 at 07:41 AM

Detailed instructions from CDC on how to import dogs to usa, or travel across border with american dogs.

SFandH - 5-31-2024 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Detailed instructions from CDC on how to import dogs to usa, or travel across border with american dogs.

This is from the section that describes "Requirements for all dogs"

"Isolation of the dog, veterinary examination, and additional testing, at the importer’s expense, may be required to determine if the dog has a contagious disease and prevent spread if the dog does not appear healthy upon arrival."

Emphasis added.

So, CBP agents manning the booths are tasked to determine whether or not the dog appears healthy.

What idiot came up with that rule? Does a dog with a bandaged leg because of a break or cut "appear healthy?"

What about old dawgs, special critters that they are, that are asleep?

I bet the CPB agents dislike these new rules. They have their hands full looking for drug and other contraband traffickers and illegal migrants. Now, they also have to judge canine health with a quick look.

[Edited on 5-31-2024 by SFandH]

Doug/Vamonos - 6-14-2024 at 11:08 AM

Additional guidance. Fortunately, they decided to include a transition period.

Scan down and you will see this: I travel frequently to Canada or Mexico. What are the requirements to return to the U.S. with my dog?
CDC’s importation requirements apply to all dogs, including dogs that leave the country for short trips, such as to visit family or friends, or to receive veterinary care. Both Canada and Mexico are rabies-free countries. People bringing their dogs to the U.S. from these countries have many options to meet CDC’s requirements. Please see our website for the list of requirements for dogs that travel frequently between Canada, Mexico, and the U.S.

Click the website link noted above.

cupcake - 6-14-2024 at 04:45 PM

The section of the page that you linked to above has a linkout, which I have put in this post:

Requirements for dogs that have been ONLY in countries that are dog rabies-free or low-risk during the 6 months before entry