BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio to E. Luis Echeverria to Ciudad Insurgentes
ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 2-13-2024 at 02:12 PM
San Ignacio to E. Luis Echeverria to Ciudad Insurgentes

Hi, I’m bringing my motorcycle down to La Paz (I spend winters there) in April. Coming down M5. I’ve driven down Baja several times in a van or rv and thought it might be a change of scenery from the highways to take this route. I’ve got a TW200 and am in no hurry. What’s this route like? Road conditions, fuel availability, good places to eat or stay (tent or hotel). Things to see. I can carry about 4.2 gallons of gas which should be enough but it would be nice to know if I could get some fuel if needed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-13-2024 at 04:01 PM

The Ejido village is commonly known as La Laguna and that is what signs read when I passed through... It was back in 2017, however.

I have several photos and maps of the San Ignacio south to San Juanico and on to Insurgentes in both my Trip Report and Photo album (both linked at www.vivabaja.com.
It was my mapping and Baja Bound Road Guide Trip #6

Trip #6 San Ignacio South

My photo-webpage for the August 2017 trip: https://vivabaja.com/p817/

Dune camping, south end of salt flats past El Dátil:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-13-2024 at 04:33 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I see that this is your first post, and I hope it works out for you. I also am planning on heading to La Paz sometime soon, but If I get delayed until April, I would be willing to haul gas and gear for you on that stretch of road.

Where will you be starting from?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-13-2024 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisLaPaz  
Hi, I’m bringing my motorcycle down to La Paz (I spend winters there) in April. Coming down M5. I’ve driven down Baja several times in a van or rv and thought it might be a change of scenery from the highways to take this route. I’ve got a TW200 and am in no hurry. What’s this route like? Road conditions, fuel availability, good places to eat or stay (tent or hotel). Things to see. I can carry about 4.2 gallons of gas which should be enough but it would be nice to know if I could get some fuel if needed.

It’s a well-traveled dirt road. Stick to the “high road.” Low road goes across mud flats that may be problem after rains or high tides.

I would expect a motorcycle can make it from san ignacio to san juanico on a tank of gas, eh? Be weird if it couldn't.

In april Lodging probably available at SI lagoon (kuyima or pachico’s). Whale camps shut down by late april, so call ahead. San juanico also has lodging.

[Edited on 2-14-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 2-14-2024 at 07:33 AM

Thanks everyone. Just the info I was looking for. I’m shipping my bike from Michigan to Rancho Mirage, CA (friend’s place) and then coming down from there. I’ll check out http://www.vivabaja.com/ today for more details. I asked about gas availability because the tank on the bike is only 1.7 gallons and I usually get about 90 miles on that. But I haven’t ridden it loaded up for any significant distance on rough terrain to know how that will affect the mileage. With the spare fuel I figured I might get 180 miles. But since it looks like there are places to top up I’m not going to worry about it. I’m bringing it down here more for day trips so this may be the only time I travel this far.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2024 at 08:26 AM

Love the TW200. Years ago i met a guy riding a tw200 at san Ignacio Laguna who had just arrived from san juanico.
One thing I might mention, although people often refer to that route having a "high route, and a lower route" keep in mind there are a plethora of tracks and some of them can be a bad choice.. have a great ride.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 08:43 AM

That is a good point above mainly for low road, but also for high road. I just traveled the "high road" a few months ago. I did not need 4x4 and was cruising at 40mph+ for most of the time. I was in an older F350 and camper as well. There are a few moon dust holes, but that was it. Beautiful drive, only encountered a fish delivery truck.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 09:10 AM

If you happen to choose the "low road", be aware that it can take a while to dry out after an extreme high tide. In a worst case scenario, the surface may appear to be dry, but there could be gooey silt below.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 09:16 AM

Thanks for more info and the recent update. I’ll avoid the low coast route. It sounds like the high route will be fine. My goal is to get off the highway and away from traffic. It’s pretty boring going 60mph all day on a small bike.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 10:01 AM
The low road....

I didn't mean to chase you away from the low road. When conditions are good, it is a nice ride, and I think it is more interesting. You would also pass through El Datil, which may have gasoline available.

I mentioned the high tide factor because that is what I encountered on one trip. I decided to leave the low road and work my way up the drainage to the high road. That was a mistake, but at least I got to practice my self-recovery skills!

Edit; My troublesome low road adventure was right after the Baja 1k race had passed that way. There were so many tracks going so many directions that it was extremely difficult to stay on the "main road"!

[Edited on 2-15-2024 by AKgringo]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 12:05 PM

Get the Avenza app (free) on your phone and purchase the Benchmark Baja Atlas there ($19.99). Using satellites, your location is shown as you travel the peninsula. That will show you what road you are on or which direction to get to the road you want. It also can make a track of your ride/drive.
Link for Avenza-Benchmark purchase is in the For Sale section at www.vivabaja.com/maps

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 12:55 PM

Thanks. I have a paper copy of the benchmark Atlas ordered, the older Baja Almanac downloaded. Maps.me I’ve used with a Gsrmin glow gps for several years with luck. I’ll check out the avenza app and benchmark download too.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 02:25 PM

I have motorcycled the low road several times over the years on a variety of bikes from an old XL350 to a R1100GS and my trusty KLR650, mostly back when the high road was in very bad shape. I always watched the tides and followed the most used track. The appealing thing for me on the low road is that there are a couple of places where beach access is easy. Also in places it is like riding Bonneville Salt Flats. I also have done the low road with 4 wheel vehicles and with caution have never had a problem. One trip I had to turn around rather than chance it because I was traveling alone.
ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 03:21 PM

Sounds interesting.Ill end up playing it by ear as I go along I’m sure. Thanks
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 09:33 PM

FWIW I prefer the low road and a quick stop in El Datil. My last run through was also fortuitous for an older El Datil resident who had sunk his truck ~12km south of town and was walking back. I picked him up and dropped him at his house on my way north.
ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 01:23 PM

I just went this route last week from San Ignacio and ended the day in Cuidad Insurgentes with lunch in San Juanico and all was fine. I ended up taking the low route. I gained a lot of experience riding in sand! The salt flats were all solid and a nice break from the sand. High winds meant that tracks were completely covered so it looked as though no one had been down the different paths in forever. The one time I turned around to take a different route my tire track was already covered. Only passed one truck going the other way. No wipe outs, in contrast to the previous day cutting across the corner from hwy 5 at Coco’s Corner to hwy 1.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 02:21 PM

Thanks for the road info! I assume you are in La Paz now, and so am I. Actually I am in Chametla at the Maranatha campground until next Thursday.

If you are in the neighborhood, I'll buy you a cup of coffee at the corner bakery and Cafe Exquisite.

ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 04:43 PM

AKgringo
I am in La Paz (Centro) and more of a beer guy but could meet you at Exquisito sometime in the next few days. I’ve stay at the campground before. I’ll message you tomorrow and we can set something up

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.