BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shoreline fishing setups?
Flatfish

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 05:52 PM
Shoreline fishing setups?

Okay, newbie here so please be kind! 😂🤣
I’ve done lots of freshwater fishing with a fly rod and a spinning tackle setup, but the whole saltwater shoreline fishing thing has me stymied for some reason or other. I’ve got an Ugly Stick and a nice Shimano reel compliments of my brother in law to start off with. I have some 40# braided and 30# leader line along with a couple of lures-krocodile and spoons. I’ve also got a 9’ bone fishing fly rod too. Is bait casting better or do the toss and retrieve with the lures? If bait casting, what kind of setup? I’ve been wading thru YouTube videos daily, but thought I would reach out here for advice from people who actually fish Baja. Truck camping trip starts April 8th from Ensenada to Cabo and back. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 06:45 PM

Welcome to Nomad!
Hopefully, you will get plenty of answers...

I grew up in a surf-fishing family. It was what brought us to Baja in the 1960s. My dad was the fisherman and my mom and I joined in with our own poles. The fishing was so great (double hooked lines) that my dad was just staying busy removing the fish and rebaiting my mom and my poles (when I was small).

We used mussel collected off the docks in Mission Bay and took them south of San Felipe or south of Ensenada to catch corbina, croaker, halibut. Squid or sand crabs also was used and later we discovered grunion was great for bait.

At what is called today "Bahía Santa María" at Km. 31 south of San Felipe. Back in the 60's there was nothing here and we just called it "the lagoon" as it empties at low tide.

We also hired pangas to go deep sea fishing and here i am off of Cabo San Lucas in 1966, with my first dorado (aka mahi mahi or dolphinfish). I was 8 1/2.

After my dad died (in 1989), I lost interest in what was so special to him and rarely fished after that. So, I am not the one to give advice on fishing techniques.

I can recommend books and if you search Amazon or ? try and get Tom Miller's Angler's Guide to Baja California, from 1979...

A very popular book, many editions, from the 1990s was The Baja Catch:

Ray Cannon's books about fishing are pure gold:

Again, welcome to Baja Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 07:56 PM

When shore fishing I typically fish rocks, structures; and mangroves - not a fan of shore fishing sandy beaches.

I throw krokodile spoons, but they get expensive losing them on rocks or in mangrove channels, so i often throw grubs on lead heads.

I have found that when the fish are biting, then they will bite anything and color/type of lure is not really important. And when the fish are not biting, then fishing gets boring and i go do something else.

There are others on here that make fishing a science,… they will be along to provide you with too many suggestions…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 09:00 PM

Good topic, I have many of the same questions.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 08:17 AM
What I saw some locals using...

I don't have much useful advice for you, but consider the fishing technique that I witnessed a few years ago; https://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79539&go...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 08:15 AM

Well I remember April as being a rather windy month. As far as shore fishing it is hard to beat Bahia Asuncion region In season for surf fishing opportunities and great skiff fishing on reefs not very far from the coast.
Ask Shari what is happening if anything around that time. I do know that beaches in most parts of Mexico during Easter week can go from zero to very crowded with local campers on vacation
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2024 at 06:08 AM

Hola Amigos, Have not been on the site for awhile. I fish quite a bit from the shore in BCS. I fish with a 12/13' rod. Reel is filled with braided line with a top shot of flouro carbon line. Usually 50# of each. I have hooked Dorado, Sierra, Yellowtail, Snook, Pargo, Roosterfish, Jacks, Corbina, Grouper, Cabrilla and a few others. Structure is good, bait around is good. I am down in BCS, El Pescadero. Give me a holler if anyone would like info. I post fishing reports on Instagram, good and bad days. Tight Lines, bk Instagram: bk_elskel
Flatfish

[*] posted on 4-9-2024 at 07:04 AM

Ok. So some good advice here. Don’t have time to buy and read the books. Maybe next year. So far from what I’ve gleaned is 40# braided with 30# mono leader and using a variety of lures in the 2-3 oz range. Any weights in addition? Placement such as above the swivel or ?? Thanks all! Leaving tomorrow to go explore for 4-5 weeks! Woo hoo!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-9-2024 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Flatfish  
Ok. So some good advice here. Don’t have time to buy and read the books. Maybe next year. So far from what I’ve gleaned is 40# braided with 30# mono leader and using a variety of lures in the 2-3 oz range. Any weights in addition? Placement such as above the swivel or ?? Thanks all! Leaving tomorrow to go explore for 4-5 weeks! Woo hoo!

I usually fish shoreline structure, and throw lighter line, lighter lures (like 1 to 1.5 oz). I never use weights or swivels for shore casting.
Maybe you’ll want heavier stuff for surf,… throw in some heavy lures and weights.
Talk to others once you get there, copy what they are doing, you’ll be fine. Dont worry.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2024 at 08:42 PM

Braid to flouro top shot connection : RP knot also called John Collins knot. Super easy to tie, you tube it. Snap swivel at end of flouro line, east to change lures. bk
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2024 at 08:44 PM

no weights.
Flatfish

[*] posted on 4-9-2024 at 09:11 PM

Thank you all for all the advice! Looking forward to catching some fresh fish!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.