Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Srirachi throw down
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2024 at 06:03 PM
Srirachi throw down

Not a blind test but close. I use sriracha in everything, or else, in Baja local red Chile sauce. Huy Fong is on the left (Rooster, green cap). Tran (who owned the original sriracha recipe) and Underwood (who grows peppers in Ventura county) had a falling out years ago, Fong disappeared for years. Recently read Fong was back and bought couple of bottles. I had been using the middle sauce (Yellow Bird) and it was fine. Read Tabasco was in the game now and it is good. Flying Goose (second from right) is popular too (I’ve used it regularly). Ox Brand and Flying Goose are from Thailand). Yellow Bird, Flying Goose and Ox are all very similar and spicy but not hot. Tabasco is the most spicy but not hot at all. Fong (on the left) is the hottest — it’s hotter than I remember.

I don’t recall Fong being this hot and it’s a new batch since he buys his peppers from different growers now (in Ventura county). Underwood (Fong’s former partner) has a sauce I am looking for to test and read it’s good.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2024 at 06:41 PM

:thumbup:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2024 at 08:13 AM

In this climate i just can't bring myself to buy manufactured chile products. I have 6 varieties of chiles growing as well as tomatoes, onions ect.
It takes minutes to whip up a good chili sauce. I can also regulate the amount of salt, heat ect. I do love a good blind taste test. Tequila for example often yields interesting results.

[Edited on 2-22-2024 by pacificobob]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2024 at 08:47 AM

Don't buy Huy Fong. The guy is a major azz. He screwed Underwood. It's not the same product it use to be. Farmers don't want to sell to him.

Here is the story.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8E9KBXU/

[Edited on 2-22-2024 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2024 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
In this climate i just can't bring myself to buy manufactured chile products. I have 6 varieties of chiles growing as well as tomatoes, onions ect.
It takes minutes to whip up a good chili sauce. I can also regulate the amount of salt, heat ect. I do love a good blind taste test. Tequila for example often yields interesting results.

[Edited on 2-22-2024 by pacificobob]

We're big fans of growing our own chiles and making our own sauces. Here on Cape Cod, our yield depends largely upon how quickly the plants bud after we move the seedlings from pots inside to planters outside. In 2022 we had a fairly warm, dry spring and summer, and the chiles did well as long as we watered them. In 2023, a cool spring and wet summer reduced our yield so much that we only produced 2 small bottles of "Poppy's Potent Potion." Poppy is our dog, but we haven't ascertained her affinity for hot foods.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2024 at 12:15 PM

I gotta say I don't use a lot of these sauces but I use a butt load of this on everything.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-23-2024 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Don't buy Huy Fong. The guy is a major azz. He screwed Underwood. It's not the same product it use to be. Farmers don't want to sell to him.

Here is the story.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8E9KBXU/

[Edited on 2-22-2024 by JZ]

Cant read your linked article or video. Seems to be a chinese website popular with teens, and Chinese operators require you provide email and PW before being allowed to see content.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

peninsular

[*] posted on 2-27-2024 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
[/rquote]

Cant read your linked article or video. Seems to be a chinese website popular with teens, and Chinese operators require you provide email and PW before being allowed to see content.

come on now, i don't have an account and have never been there and it was as simple as pressing 'continue as guest'

but i have seen embedded vids form this site and there are a plethora of ages and races and locales represented on it

i honestly don't know how some of the posters here continue when there is such animosity from some of the members
really just abject hatred, yet i guarantee if asked they would say they are the pinnacle of love and acceptance

just an outsider looking in who will always have a soft spot for the baja from my first trip 30+ years ago

[Edited on 2-28-2024 by peninsular]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2024 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by peninsular  

i honestly don't know how some of the posters here continue when there is such animosity from some of the members
really just abject hatred, yet i guarantee if asked they would say they are the pinnacle of love and acceptance

just an outsider looking in who will always have a soft spot for the baja from my first trip 30+ years ago

[Edited on 2-28-2024 by peninsular]

Abject hatred? Everybody is flawed. Don't see hatred here. Cranky and argumentative attitudes, sometimes, but, so what?

Peace love and fish tacos = ideal. Reality is different.

Give yourself time here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2024 at 08:33 AM
Sriracha in the wild

My wife and I took a quick trip up to Boston and spotted these two Srirachas at the Boston Public Market. The first looks like a fairly standard variety that I've never seen before.

The next was a smoked maple Sriracha from Maine. I'm thinking this might be nice with ribs on the grill!

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2024 at 01:18 PM

On my list of srirachi's to try:

Three Mountains
Texas Pete
Fix
Melinda's

Reviews are looking good for Bob's smoked maple sriracha.

Might as well try this:

F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.