Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Estero La Bocana
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 10:29 AM
Estero La Bocana

Made the annual trip to Estero La Bocana.

Crossed at Calexico East, made the first right after crossing the border, parked under the awning and walked back for my FMN.

No hassle, no one in line, paid with credit card and used the bathroom.

Right turn and straight down the throat of Mexicali which seems about as easy as any other route. Google shows you the way.

Straight on to San Felipe. Stayed as La Palma hotel and at at the restaurant Alfredo’s on the premises. It is very good. Booked a Mountain View room for easy exit. Apparently a lot of off road guests had the same idea so it wasn’t as peaceful as my previous visit but still fine. There is a nice new bank atm a couple of blocks down hill for getting pesos.

Up at dawn the next day but was slightly deceived by the tinted windows into leaving 15 minutes later. Handed room key and remote to gate card to get deposit back.

Rough spot in dip on way out of town but the 5 is in mostly good shape. There are some deep pot holes easily dodged if you see them. Pay attention around the bridges as they are probably going to get worse.

Straight thru to highway 1 and left turn heading south. I let two semi trucks pass me as they were moving really fast. So I followed them into…

The rough road south of Punta Prieta. It’s mostly a broken top layer of asphalt and often stretches across both lanes so you can’t avoid it but is not deep. With the trucks ahead I got plenty of warning and plenty of slow.

I lost the trucks at the checkpoint while I showed off my stuff and never saw them again as the road got better. Still plenty of potholes but mostly you can dodge them.

Gas at Jesus de Maria Pemex and south of there is pretty good road.

20 pesos to get fumigated going into baja sur and on thru Vizcaino. Baja sur they were filling in potholes with asphalt and all of the road construction from the washed out road from last year was complete.

Right turn to Punta Abreojos and the road was in great condition. The bad spots from last year were newly paved.

The cabins at Estero La Bocana are gone, destroyed by last years hurricane and they have been taken down. The restaurant and office remain. Rumor had it they were waiting for permits to rebuild.

Stayed at Les and Blanca’s hotel with a group.

Plenty of wind for kitesurfing but the swell was smaller than forecast.

Return trip was in reverse. After filling up at the Pemex in Punta Abreojos the day before left at dawn.

The rough patch of road didn’t seem so bad this time.

A stop at the store at Gonzaga bay for Gatorade and an apple and bathroom break.

Gas in San Felipe at the chevron next to the 7-11 and right back up the 5. Waved through the all check points going north.

Had a slight adventure when a washing machine tumbled out of a truck heading the other way but fortunately it tumbled off the road.

You make a right turn off the 5 if you follow Google to the calexico east border and I’ve learned you stay in the middle lane and go under the busy intersection before the turn.

I don’t know why I had to wait 20 minutes to turn left into the sentri lane at the border. As I got closer it seemed everything was moving fine as I got closer. Maybe just bad timing.

And then onward back home after some gas and a car wash.

IMG_0431.jpeg - 238kB IMG_0425.jpeg - 107kB IMG_0428.jpeg - 83kB IMG_0429.jpeg - 159kB

IMG_0426.jpeg - 147kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I did not take the side trip into La Bocana on my recent journey. Did anyone happen to share information about the dirt road north to Bahia Asuncion?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 12:16 PM

No but I met two couples that had driven up from San Juanico one in a two wheel drive van and they said it was slow but ok.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.