Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stupid fishing question
digcolnagos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2024 at 02:18 PM
Stupid fishing question

I'll be in Bahia Asuncion in mid-July and would like to do some casual fishing, maybe boat, maybe surf cast, maybe both. Not sure what will be in season, internet no help so far. What can I expect? I'll find out when I get there, but anxious to know nonetheless.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2024 at 05:15 PM

hola digcoinagos,

welcome to nomad,

in my approximate 70 years of fishing fresh and salt water, it is my opinion that for new people fishing, there are no dumb questions.

everybody that fishes started out with questions so in my opinion, please ask questions to seasoned fisherpersons and at tackle shops so you can learn the great sport.

so, i invite you to submit questions and for seasoned anglers to submit their knowledge to help you along.

perhaps, after you gain knowledge, if you have children or friends that do, you can pass the knowledge along to perpetuate the sport.

keep learning,

DA RAT

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-22-2024 at 05:30 PM

Check in with Shari
Several years ago she rounded up a local fisherman on his day off
took half dozen of us out for a few hours
We loaded the boar with our catch.
Best day of my fishing life was one Sunday morning in Asuncion
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-22-2024 at 05:55 PM

There are no stupid fishing questions. None.

As mentioned above contact Shari. She is Asuncion's Nomad resident expert on the area. She be bona fide.

Enjoy the trip and drop a report after the visit please and thank you.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
digcolnagos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 01:04 AM

Yes, I hope to track Shari down.

It's my understanding that it's likely too early for yellowtail, but I am not fussy, so long as it is not an endless series of bonita, for which I do not much care. Sea bass and other bottom fish would be great. Have never surf casted, but figure this would be a good time to try.

I hope I am wrong about yellowtail.
BoenBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 07:29 AM

Shore fishing in Bahía Asunción is a blast. I prefer using a Carolina rig using sand crabs or Berkeley Bloody Gulp Worms 🪱. Fish in the bay on the Hawaiian (northeast) side of town. Ditto on seeking out and talking to Shari.
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 10:44 AM

Shari's La Bufadora Inn in BA is a true Baja treasure if you have the time, and you should make the time, if only for a couple of days.

That they have their own set of blowholes at different tides out front that you can stand next to with a beer in hand, haha, and get an ocean shower is as rare an experience as chickens teeth.

The locals are exemplary for their generous hospitality. My experience was years ago, but I suspect the same is ongoing.

I hope I can make it back to Shari's La Bufadora Inn on one of my future annual Whale Magic Tours, depending on my fellow travelers, to share the Baja treasures I have been lucky to experience.

BA is special and Shari and Juan, and others, have been instrumental in making this part of Baja Sur a mandatory visit.

My eternal appreciation is endless for what Baja can give us just for the asking. It is all so simple.

I have always been given more than I could have imagined over the last fifty years by the salt of the earth locals and for that alone I am eternally grateful for their generosity. It comes so naturally to them to lend a helping hand when most others pass by.

Peace, love, and fish tacos to all who treasure what Baja has freely given us over the decades. I hope that giving is ongoing, in spite of the pressure of developers looking to make a killing wherever they can.

I can be a dreamer a times. So be it. I can live with that. Rose colored sunglasses notwithstanding.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 11:00 AM

Hola 'Nagos -

I have not been to BA, though I hope to go there pretty soon and do a little prospecting. Anyone interested in joining up?

With regards to fishing, from what I have heard it is pretty hard to go wrong in that area, whether you are flinging a chunk of bait out into the surf or hiring a local panga. A good reference is the book called The Baja Catch. I am not sure if it covers that area specifically the information with regards to the central west coast of Baja California would be applicable.

I used to fish quite a bit, both in the surf and on the cattle boats in San Diego. These days I may go out once in the late fall if the tuna are biting close enough to catch on a 3/4 day boat, otherwise when I want some fresh sushi grade fish I go to Catalina Offshore products. It is actually cheaper, though not as much fun.

Buy my book, The Gold of Northern Baja, 40 copies sold and counting!

[Edited on 6-23-2024 by bajaric]
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 12:20 PM

Juan Arce in BA is one to hook up with, literally and figuratively.

I hope to do this next time I have the privilege to stay at this magical on the water location.

Your own lagoon emptying out twice a day with several blow holes to doing their thing, what could be better?

Seal island just offshore deserves a closer look with Juan at the helm.

Make the time if you are able. Supporting the local townsfolk is worth the effort.

Precious, comes to mind, along with the old song 'Precious Time' by Van Morrison.

We all know there are a few magical spots in Baja for each of us and BA is one for me.

It can be for you too.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 12:27 PM

Just saw this....July is still early for good fishing as the water temps are still cold but there is good calico bass fishing and great white fish as well..maybe some small yellowtail. Shore fishing is excellent then for halibut and yellowfin croaker. Hit me up if you want intel on where to shore fish or want to get a panga.

Charters are between 5,000-6,500 pesos for a super panga. Not sure if Juan Arce is doing charters.

Bajaric...be careful when prospecting as the locals arent keen on tourists pulling gold out of their area! jus sayin

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 02:04 PM

!!SHARI!! How are you chiquita, wa'sup? Long time, no talk. Still pullin' fish out of the ocean, huh? How's your daughter? So much to catch up on, send me a U2U!
BoenBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 06:54 AM

If Juan is no longer doing charters, another Capitan in town is Manuel, across from the co-op and next door to the boat ramp out by the point.
mrbogo

[*] posted on 7-2-2024 at 04:04 AM

Offshore you may find Sheri if lucky.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.