Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bad weekend on Hwy5
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2024 at 03:40 PM
Bad weekend on Hwy5

OMG
3 Accidents reported on Facebook and the usual Mex news outlets.
1) Saturday ~KM107 Nissan trying to pass hit a Chevy Colorado head on. 4 dead
I guess maybe it would be the curve just S of La Ventana?
2) Saturday ~KM14x Little description one SUV burned. 2 dead
Not sure but isn't that the 4 lane area?
3) Sunday bus crash Km7 just S of El Faro road at the sharp curve. 50 persons with 18 injured. 9 ambulance's from Mexicali. Volunteer locals took kids home for lack of transportation. No fatal reported?

On weekends the only medical facility in San Felipe are closed on weekends. Badly injured were driven to Mexicali.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 07:28 AM

Now being a municipality, time for San Felipe tp have a full-functioning hospital, you think?

4 lanes begins at Km. 160.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 07:53 AM
More - today Facebook

ATTENTION TO THE BUS ACCIDENT YESTERDAY SUNDAY JULY 14
Before informing the community about what happened. On behalf of the President of the Municipal Council Fundacional Lic. Jose Luis Dagnino Lopez and this Fire Station, as well as ALL the authorities of the Municipality, we want to thank and our most sincere recognition to all, to ALL and ALL who participated in this emergency. Doctors, nurses, paramedics, firefighters, rescuers, radio operators, Municipal Police, Prosecutor's Agents, Military, National Guard, Marines, volunteers, the Deputy Juan Manuel Molina and the staff of his module, Christian churches, general public and very especially the Galindo family and the Director, Deputy Director, bosses, officers and paramedics from Mexicali Sol Brigade who were in this port.

In addition, our gratitude and recognition also to the personnel of Firefighters, Red Cross and Brigada del Sol Mexicali, who immediately supported us to carry out transfers and transfers to the city of Mexicali. To the Director and Deputy Director of Fire Department of Mexicali, the Commander of the Red Cross Mexicali and the Director and staff, doctors and nurses of the General Hospital. Also to Dr. Brenda for supporting in the logistics of patient reception at the H G.

To all and all THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Demonstrating with this that the Municipality of San Felipe maintains and will maintain strong ties of friendship and cooperation with all Municipalities of the State, today especially with the Municipality of Mexicali. We thank the Municipal President Mtra. To Norma Bustamante and the Governor of the Marine State of Pilar Avila Olmeda, because boldly their links strengthened the operation and were aware of what was happening here at all times.

EVENT
At 18:36 hrs, radio call received from C5, about a car accident on km 6, road south. Report of a passenger truck with approximately 57 passengers.
The following fire units are dispatched: 2 ambulances and three rescue units. Fire units arrived at the scene at 18:49.
When the emergency units arrive at the Red Cross and Firefighters site, a TRIAGE of the injured is carried out, with the intention of classifying the priority in patient care.
Virtually at the same time of receiving the alarm, and recognizing the magnitude of the incident and knowing the number of people involved, all emergency units of the municipality, individuals, civilian and military are activated. And the following supporting institutions go:
Two Fire Ambulances with 4 elements.
A San Felipe Red Cross ambulance with 3 elements.
OMG ambulance with three elements.
An ambulance from Brigada del Sol San Felipe, with 2 elements and a rescue unit from this same institution with 1 element.
International hospital ambulance with 2 elements.
Navy ambulance with 3 elements.
ISSSTE Ambulance with 1 element.
San Felipe Community Hospital ambulance with 2 elements.
Also activated, the two rescue units of Brigada del Sol de Mexicali with 11 elements, which were at that time in the port, due to the accident that took place on the federal highway Mexicali-San Felipe that morning, later, integrate the team one more ambulance Community hospital and a Social Security ambulance, giving a total of NINE ambulances for emergency response.
Transferring a total of 57 injured people from the scene of the accident to the Community Hospital. That is, all the passengers were transferred.
It should be mentioned that at the scene of the accident there were authorities of the three government orders, who were responsible for ensuring the safety of the scene and controlling traffic.

THE SUM OF EFFORTS PAYED OFF.
Simultaneously with all this: the ambulances of Mexicali Firefighters, Mexicali Sol Brigade and Mexicali Red Cross, were activated to carry out transfers to the Ventana, of patients who required transfer to the capital city.
It was installed outside the premises of the Community Hospital of this port, the command center that dictate emergency protocols of this kind. The Fire Operations Chief, coordinates all the efforts of the different institutions. I add that, all the institutions that participated, in addition to those already mentioned, were put under the command of this institution (Firefighters) and the command of who represents them. San Felipe Fire Director and Deputy Chief takes charge of the entire operation in coordination with ALL Municipal Council authorities.
I should add that, the Firefighters and Community Hospital who were frank, when the emergency call, rushed to support. Likewise, Councilors of the Municipal Council, Ombudsman, DIF Municipal and State and the representative of the S.G.G. BISOM, staff of the deputy Molina, as well as volunteers.
Other institutions that participated were, Civil Protection, National Guard, SEDENA, SEMAR, Municipal Police and Prosecutor's Office. Whose work and coordinated effort was important for the care of the injured, the safety of all and the discharge of future responsibilities.

TRANSPORTED
The installed command center, together with doctors and authority of the Health Center, coordinate the different transfers to Mexicali.
A total of 10 transfers were made, with a total of 27 patients, 13 male and 9 female, in addition to 5 minors.
Of these, 13 patients were critical.
It's worth mentioning that response times were very short and the most serious patients were treated, in time and form at this Community Hospital as well as the rest of those involved.
The transfers were made as follows:
1. - H Ambulance 1 C. S. F. transferred 2 patients and crossing ahead of the Hardy River.
2. - Ambulance H. I. transferred to 3 patients and they overflow in La Ventana.
3. - Ambulance 2 of the H.C.S.F. transferred to 4 patients and overflowing in La Ventana.
4. - Ambulance 1 of the H.C.S.F. transferred to 3 patients and overflowing in La Ventana.
5. - Ambulance from O.M.D. 0-10, transferred 3 patients and overflowed in La Ventana.
6. - IMSSS ambulance with 4 patients and overflow in La Ventana.
7. - Ambulance 2 of the H.C.S.F. transferred to 4 patients and overflowing in La Ventana.
8. - IMSS ambulance with 2 patients and overflow in the Window.
9. - Ambulance A-03 from Firefighters transferred 2 patients and overflowed in La Ventana.
10. - Ambulance from H.I.S.F. takes to Mexicali relatives of the displaced, also to be evaluated in H.G.
Making a total of 10 transfers to La Ventana to transfer and continue to General Hospital. We have to remember that ambulances only arrived at La Ventana and returned for more patients.

VOLUNTEERS
In addition to the volunteers from the different rescue institutions of the community, such as Brigada del Sun San Felipe, Red Cross, Firefighters S. F. , the Christian Brotherhood and residents of the port who helped in the scene, there were other volunteers who took charge of providing food and drinks to everyone, such as the Christian Churches, 99+1, Sonshine Casa Hogar and 9 paramedics from Yuma, Mexicali and El Centro Ca.

HOTELS
On behalf of the Municipal Fundacional Council, DIF and BISOM, a hostel is activated to protect all the people who did not require relocation. They are provided with medical care, drink, food where they stay up to date.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 09:36 AM

I have noticed something about Mexican drivers. You mostly see the altars to the traffic accident dead on curves. Now aside from the stupidity of trying to pass just before a blind curve, which you see, I think there is another factor to these accidents.

When I was 16 and my dad was teaching me to drive, one of the things he taught me was that when coming up on a curve, you should start to brake and slow down as you are approaching the curve, then give it a little gas when you are actually in the curve, because when your brakes are engaged, your tires aren't gripping the road and you have less control.

When driving behind Mexican drivers, I have noticed that they don't slow down before the curve, they step on the brakes when they are in the curve.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 01:35 PM

Most dangerous normal activity in Mexico is driving the highways along with the untrained public.
Especially avoid Mother's Day, and most of the holidays, Semana Santa, Navidad, etc.

The only requirements for a Mexican driver's license when I first obtained one was a Curp number, a blood test for blood type, (transfusions), and the fee.
No test required, written or behind the wheel driving.

I shudder to think of how many young inexperienced commercial drivers are driving overloaded tractor trailers on the transpeninsular, often on drugs to stay awake.

Not a month goes by without hearing of a friend or friend of a friend being involved in a horrific accident, sometimes maimed for life, or deceased.

Use your all your mirrors, know whom is behind, in front, and approaching from the side. Put distance between you and the impatient and erratic drivers, let them by.

I was once told by a friend that often mirrors are removed from cars because they don't like the way they look. A shocking number of Mexican drivers even use their mirrors.

Stay vigilant, stay safe.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 02:09 PM

I believe new drivers do have to take a road test now in Mexico, at least in my area they do. I didn't have to take a test when I got my Mex. driver's license because I had a valid Canadian license.

But don't assume the rules are the same. Up north, if you fail to do a shoulder check when changing lanes or pulling out of a parking spot, to make sure no one is in your blind spot, you would fail the test. In Mexico, apparently you fail if you do a shoulder check- I guess they consider it more dangerous to take your eyes off the road.

And I see lots of large trucks here whose side view mirrors don't extend far enough for them to be able to see the traffuc behind them. And many vehicles, like converted pick-ups with storage containers on them, whose height is too tall for the wheel base, and could easily flip over on a curve taken too fast.

[Edited on 7-16-2024 by surabi]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 03:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I have noticed something about Mexican drivers. You mostly see the altars to the traffic accident dead on curves. Now aside from the stupidity of trying to pass just before a blind curve, which you see, I think there is another factor to these accidents.

When I was 16 and my dad was teaching me to drive, one of the things he taught me was that when coming up on a curve, you should start to brake and slow down as you are approaching the curve, then give it a little gas when you are actually in the curve, because when your brakes are engaged, your tires aren't gripping the road and you have less control.

When driving behind Mexican drivers, I have noticed that they don't slow down before the curve, they step on the brakes when they are in the curve.

here is the "gas in the curve" thing:
you should use your brakes before the curve and accelerate when leaving the curve.

braking in the turn makes your weight shift to the front, with that the rear wheels could lose traction, fishtail and oversteer

the science behind it: the friction/traction between your tires and the ground is used by 3 different things - acceleration, deceleration (braking), and lateral stability (the force that keeps you from sliding sideways)
friction/traction is shared by the 3 - if one uses too much there is nothing left for the other
too much gas in a turn - you slide to the outside
too much braking in a turn - you slide to the outside

Harald Pietschmann

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.