Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whew.... Pam finally reported
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2005 at 07:27 PM
Whew.... Pam finally reported

Thanks Pam.

I been waitin' for all the good reports, but I think I'll just go on down, cook in the heat & humdidy, enjoy the good food and friendly local folk, try and catch BBFCO open so I can get a cupa & what the heck!

Things could be worse. Maybe I'll rent a Panga, pay for it then sleep in instead of goin out.

Think anyone cares? Doubt it.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2005 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
try and catch BBFCO open so I can get a cupa

Good luck. I was there last week with a roomful of fisherman jonesing for a copa and Pam came up with some story about how it took an hour for her imported Italian expresso machine to heat up and left us with that empty feeling. Said she fires it up in October cuz it's too hot now. I'm thinking, iced coffee, now, please?

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-10-2005 at 12:17 AM
Why turn on the machine if there's no demand?

The Pavoni takes at least 45 minutes to first come up to temp then build up the proper pressure and the Cimbali one hour. That scenario of a group jonesing for java happened only once this season. You just happened to be there to witness it. If this were a repeat occurance do you think I'd be stupid enough to just blow it off? C'mon!

I tried some recipes for making a simple iced cappuccino that my staff could duplicate but lost interest. I wan't keen on the taste and demand really wasn't there either. If I'm gonna sell it, put my name on it then it damned well better be perfect.

BBFC will be closed during the month of September for similar reasons...why stay open for ten hours a day with the A/C running and consuming tons of Kwatts when nobody will walk in? We're open by appointment in September, but regurlarly take out charters.

And sorry for the tardy reports, we've been busy and I have two little ones out of school (three and five). Between waking up at 3am to cook lunches for the fishermen, then wake my husband/captain at 4, sending out boats from 5 to 7, dashing home by 8 to entertain the kids, run the store from 10-3, haul ot the boats after the fishing day ends 3-4pm, cleaning fish till about 5pm, handling clients 24 hours a day, keeping the shop open till 8pm (it was 9 in June and July), then shopping for fresh ingredients for the lunches until 10pm...and getting to sleep before midnight if I'm lucky, I guess I just couldn't find time all the time. The reports are on the site for the courtesy of our clients and they just happen to be helpful to others who may plan on being here. I am always available via e-mail and have contacts for these all over my website. I tend to respond within a day. If you ever want an on demand and on the spot, honest report give me a call in Loreto. My numbers are on the website. I wish I cold update every day but I'd have to grow about six extra arms.

You already knew the Dorado fishing sucks anyway, and continues along the same pitiful path. Bummer season!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2005 at 07:00 AM
Expresso and fishing reports

No worries Pam. Just seeing that fine expresso machine in Baja made my day. Iced coffee with a shot of real cream and cane sugar shaken on the rocks is a summer treat and picker upper and I was dreaming.

We appreciate your reports, tardy or not. I love the latest and the part about how it's so hot your eyeballs sweat.

As we know, billfish are so thick down there this year and I don't understand why the sailfish fishery isn't a target market like it is Costa Rica. Maybe someday it will be.

Also enjoyed your comments in your latest report about the pangeros not understanding how to fish billfish with lures in Loreto. Indeed, they want to go slow and small with the lures in the water too long. Tight and fast with big lures, bring em up with the boat and catch 'em on the lures.

They think 5 knots is too fast and we think 10 knots is slow. They want to put feathers in the water on 90 pound leaders and I want to put Zukers 3.5 and 5.5's on 300 pound leaders. But if you speak Spanish you can fish your way and if you let them know ahead of time you want to release billfish and will tip to do so that can be done also.

Good luck on developing the flyfishery for Loreto. You are thinking outside of the box and have my respect for that and good luck with September in Loreto, a brutal time of year.

See you in October for an expresso and the San Bruno roosters, another fine Loreto fishery!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2005 at 12:01 PM
Sorry I freaked out...

...but sometimes I take comments like this personally since having been wroking so hard for the past several months. Now that the tourism is slowing down I can take a peek here now and then.

Not to turn this into a coffee conversation but I am experimenting with roasting our own coffee. This because the coffee providers here in BCS often run out of coffee and I can't order it sometimes! Crazy huh, but this is the reality in which we live here in LTO.

I can't wait to go fishing and I also wonder why sailfish aren't targeted here like they are in CR. They are just as large and plentiful and Loreto is so much easier to get to and less costly. Anthough CR sounds so exotic and tempting and I'd love to go someday. We'll just keep the sails our little secret.

Now that the gas has risen a bit in price for August, the station on Salvatierra is ripping people off bigtime! For the first time my Ford Ranger took $550 pesos to fill up when it alsayw used to be $450 even as far back as two weeks sgo! And the same thing on the panga, I have two tanks in back and one reserve, it was always $500 to fill up those two rear tanks and now its $600! Think the pnagueros like to troll slow now? Just wait you ain't seen nuthin yet. If this keeps up we'll need to charge a fuel surcharge and I'm not foolin' either.

Java jonsers can get their fix in my shop starting on October 3rd when we'll be open from 8:30 am till 8pm. Finally I have competent staff!

Now its time to THINK FISH!!!!!!

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by flyfishinPam]
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2005 at 12:53 PM

No offense ever intended. Believe it or not when you don't report, some might worry a little about your well being. Anyone who has gone fishing in Loreto (period) let alone with you, knows you may be a little prone to ......... work to hard? It's also a cold hard fact that some of your peers uh, lie just a little. You, we can believe.

Most of us have time to reflect on our "chosen profession" now and then and wonder.... why?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2005 at 08:35 PM

Why? Is a good question. I just can't wait to go fishing myself. Tired of sending everyone else out. Two more days and Francisco is free, then two days after that and the kids are in school. I fish then. Hope there's fish!
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 8-11-2005 at 08:51 AM

Pam. Your description of your work day reminded me of another woman (gringo) in Loreto who also had two children (this was probably twenty years ago) who did the same thing you do for her (now deceased ) husband. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. She used to tell me about her same drill!!!!
I'm being told the salmon fishing off the Oregon coast isn't anything to brag about right now either. How's it doing up there at Newport Sharkbait? No that's not right. Darn. Now I'm doing it again. CRS strikes again.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 08:50 AM
Yes I kow who you're talking about!

Gayle who now owns her own hotel "Quinta San Francisco" on the malecon. Yes we sure have a lot in common. I guess Alfredo spent many years in the US. My Francisco has never visited the US so really doesn't know "where I'm coming from" sometimes. He and I are so different. Imagine the "I Love Lucy Show" times ten except that we make fun of each other's accents more viciously but in a fun way. so I can just imagine how life was for Gayle when Lisa and Linda were five and three. At least we have pavement in Loreto now!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 09:49 AM
Yes Phil/Pam

God Bless Lisa-May she Rest in Peace!

Gayle Ramriez was a very special Women!
I met her on one of my first trips .Was filing a Flight Plan at Mexicali when I notice a "Prettt, Skinny little blonde" with some American fisherman being processed through customs..
Through the Years in Loreto I watched and Admired her Hard work and common Sense. Watched as she rasied her 2 girls in the School System

One of her Girls was the first "Miss Baja California".
Gayle worked and Handled the business for one of the first States Side business which came into Loreto.

I will bet you that if you ask Her why she was able to get where she is today she will answer" My Faith in God" Hard Work, and being "Tough" when necessary!

She is a Lady!!!!!

Skeet/Loreto
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-15-2005 at 01:50 PM
be nice Phil ....can I say that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
I'm being told the salmon fishing off the Oregon coast isn't anything to brag about right now either. How's it doing up there at Newport Sharkbait? No that's not right. Darn. Now I'm doing it again. CRS strikes again.

--------
Salmon never materialized and market prices are high.. Crab strong. Another halibut opener last week, last one I'm sure, great season for some.... Rockfish/lingcod sportfishing available but commercially problematic. Tuna fair to good

No shellfish closures in the producing bays. Tuna still offshore 80 + miles
-----

Pam, it's the life of a business owner/ parent. You are very fortunate and you obviously give 110 % . Cool business and reports you got there. You go girl! The kids DO eventually grow up:lol:
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 06:11 PM

Sharksbaja. I honestly drew a blank on your nomad name. Sorry. Sharkbait was kind of a low blow I guess. Wasn't intended as that though. Maybe when we eat at your restaraunt one of these times, I'll be able to put a face with the name, to help me remember the right one.
PHil S
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

wink.gif posted on 8-15-2005 at 08:37 PM
No prob Phil, this is my last unnecessary response

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Sharksbaja. I honestly drew a blank on your nomad name. Sorry. Sharkbait was kind of a low blow I guess. Wasn't intended as that though. Maybe when we eat at your restaraunt one of these times, I'll be able to put a face with the name, to help me remember the right one.
PHil S

:yes: Thanks, Phil, I was tad testy recently:lol:

Remember, people don't typically venture where we do here so understand (many of) these conversations are not representative of street talk. Like I've said before, I never hear these types of conversations amongst strangers.

Would the people that talk with a derogatory tone do that in a public place with others around? I haven't seen it much aside from bars.
Other than that, I do hope some will ever make it into the restaurant. WE do welcome ALL, why wouldn't we.
I don't hate anyone on here,just can't figure them out. Normal human behavior just not used to it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.