BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best lobster I had in the last 2 weeks....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 08:05 AM
Best lobster I had in the last 2 weeks....

okay, so I eat a lot.

But for some real great lobster..and other seafood...try Francisco's Equipales Restuarant in downtown Mulege. It's the second floor cafe just across from Ana's old gift shop. Parking can be a problem, so be prepared to walk a block.

We had planned to vary all our orders so as to compare the different dinners Francisco offers...but nobody was willing to pass up the lobster, so we all had the same.

The smiling, attentive service was superb and our waiter called me by name.. then I remembered he was a son of a craftsman I had hired many years back. I had not seen this lad for many years and it was nice to be remembered.

Numero Uno for sure. Bravo, Francisco!

[Edited on 2-20-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 09:23 AM

Hey Pompano what you recommend in Bola, I will be there in april.:bounce:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 09:28 AM

You have a choice in BOLA ?:?:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 09:31 AM
turtleandtoad

Exactly, T & T I don't expect a hole lot just somenthing decent. Maybe a grossery store and I guess I will have to make my own food.:lol:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 09:42 AM

Bajacat....I wish I could help you, but I have never eaten in a restuarant in Bahia de Los Angeles. Only our own campfire cooking, which you would have loved, I am sure.

One of our Baja campout specialities is a dutch oven treat for breakfast called a 'compage'....a 18th century French/Canadian voyaguers recipe. I could tell you about it but I have to go raid the fridge right now.

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 09:47 AM
Pompano

Ither that or you have to kill me, to keep me from spredding the recipe on bajanomad:lol::lol:.Thanks Pompano I will do that I will plan for cooking on the camp site, do the have any stores to buy supplies in Bola:?:

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 06:43 PM

Pompano: Thanks for bringing the subject up. Can you tell me when Lobster season is? I'm planning on stopping by Santa Rosalitta to purchase some in March if available.....Thanks
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 03:13 AM

Debra....don't quote me on this, but I believe the season is normally from October to late March, around the 20th or so. Hopefully, you will be within the season. I can check that for you and post soon. If anybody else has more definite information please jump in for Debra.

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 04:16 AM

Roger. I've perused the culinery perfection of the restaurant upstairs many a time in the past ten years. Not a lot. Never sorry any trip. Only sorry, I didn't try the lobster. When we order lobster at El Nido, in Loreto, it usually is three smaller ones. But a delight every time. I discovered the backyard patio just this year. (15 years of eating there, and never bothered to "investigate where all those people were going". Now I don't want to eat inside anymore.
What is the going rate for lobster in your second story restaurant these days?

[Edited on 2-20-2006 by Phil S]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 06:03 AM
Phil S..Hola...about those lobsters...

The Equipales lobsters I have been presented with are always large. Cost: My guess would be about 16-18 dollars or so, but really don't remember. My dinner checks are always high with mucho extras and I just look at the end figure....love those desserts and after dinner c-cktails, y'know. I can say that Francisco has never been too high on prices in the many years he has been in business. I highly recommend his loft restaurant.

Hope your El Nido's dinners are great, too. Their fish dinners were superb, I recall, as were the steaks. I used to eat there quite a bit many years ago...and still have a hat that I 'appropriated' from a donkey out front. A bit floppy, but still usable.

[Edited on 2-20-2006 by Pompano]

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 06:00 PM

Thanks Pompano......anybody know for sure?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 07:42 PM

Bajacat, the two acknowledged best restaurants in BOLA are probably Costa del Sol and Las Hamacas. I prefer CDS.

I hear Larry and Raquel's is very good but I'm not sure if they serve walk-ups or only their overnighters.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 07:43 PM

Bajacat, the two acknowledged best restaurants in BOLA are probably Costa del Sol and Las Hamacas. I prefer CDS.

I hear Larry and Raquel's is very good but I'm not sure if they serve walk-ups or only their overnighters.

Pompano, I think your price is probably pretty close. I almost always order the marisco combination there (really good!) and it's usually 12.00US.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 07:50 AM

Larry and Raquel do serve walk-ups. Try her machca quesidillas (sp?) I like to stop by on the way back from La Gringa just for a cold cervesa, a visit and enjoy the telescope on the deck.

The large Las Hamacas is now a tourist center, but, they have a smaller place just before it (same side of the street) same great food. The only down side is that you can't sit outside.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 08:20 AM

In the US lobster season is the first Saturday in October for sport and the first Wednesday in October for commercial. This year 10-1-05 to March 22nd.

I do believe the season is the same in Baja and you know it is strictly enforced.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:45 PM

elgatoloco..yes, I asked and that season is correct and..ah..."strictly enforced!"... so say my panga friends at San Marcos.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 07:25 AM

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/03/08/furry.lobster...

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by bajajudy]

White Angel
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 01:40 PM

Being from New England where the 'real' lobsters are; I've been routinely disappointed in the Baja version. Oddly, the best one I've ever had was at La Pinta in San Ignacio. Perhaps it was happily undercooked; but it came out juicy and flavoful rather than the tough and dry version I'm usually served. A lot of garlic butter doesn't help if they've been under the broiler too long!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.