Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mulege's El Patron beach cafe
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 04:39 AM
Mulege's El Patron beach cafe

El Patron directions: turn into Mulege at the Y, drive straight ahead..past Saul's market, etc...parallel the river...all the way to the beach..you will see the lighthouse to the right. You are there.

This has been a favorite cafe of ours for many years. I forget all the different names this beachside hangout has had but a few were Almeja's, Ramon's, La Palapa, and El Mar. We must have had a great time in the 80's there..because I remember little except how to say mas Bacardi and mi cama es su cama. (Just a joke, sweetheart!) One thing is always consistent, though..and that is the view and the good food. A splendid place to have lunch or dinner while gazing out at the Cortez. Most often shrimp boats are anchored right in front and you can watch the pelicans, gulls, and frigates buzzing the boats...looking for their lunch, too. Truly a sea-lover's hangout.

Felipa and I went there last night again. Ordinarily we go for our neighbor Bony's chili rellenos every Thursday night, but the lure of stuffed clams and shrimp was too much. The ambiance was great as usual and our waiter, Jesus, was very good. These two meals with 1 c-cktail, 2 beers, and coffee con Kahlua came to 285 pesos...or 28 dollars.

Ramon, the previous owner/operator, with his wife Lilly ran the cafe until Ramon died a couple years ago from a long battle with cancer. His final salute was some party! A truck brought marachis and the music went until dawn. Now Lilly is semi-retired and a son runs the kitchen very well. The presentations show special attention and the atmosphere is muy friendly. A romantic candlelight dinner for you and your sweetheart. Get some sand in your sandals!

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 04:44 AM
Loved my stuffed clams.....'chocolate erotica'

p.s. What would Baja be without those little packages of saladitas? Ceviche wouldn't be the same, right?

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:02 AM

Over the pat 15 years of visiting Loreto area & Rattlesnake Beach (yes not unusual to run into one there) while camping, an occational trip up to Mulege for a change in scenery, most always would include a visit to the beach cafe. Windy times not too pleasant. But food was always enjoyable.
I remember a beach restaurant also south of Mulege. Remember it as Ray's. Palapa roof. Sand floor. I had the most incredible butterflied, coconut fried shrimp, that still makes my mouth water thinking about it.
He had been visited by Conde Nast (like Gourmet magazine) & was to be written up as excellant place to visit. Anyone know if that ever had happend. Roger. You know anything about this? Was maybe three years ago at least.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:21 AM
Ray's at Santispac

Phil S...yes, Ray Lima serves a great plate as his beach cafe...named, what else...RAY'S.

Myself, I love the 'papagayos shrimp' Ray serves...as I am not too fond of anything with cooked coconut in it. He has some real killer specials, too. We have had snapper, squid, shrimp, scallops, burgers, steaks, ribs, you name it..we ate it!

Still going strong today. Here's an inside pic of the place...maybe I can find an outside shot and post later. Very easy to find...if you can find the highway, Mulege, and Santispac..you can find Ray's.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.