Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: April fishing
mcquerry
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 07:40 PM
April fishing

Hi, well we are heading to Mulege around the middle of April and want to know type of fish we might catch? Thanks T Mac
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 08:30 PM

trigger fish....too early for dorado...in may the dorado start

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 03:03 AM
April fishing is very good

T Mac...I feel I should tell you Bob y Susan buy their fish at the marketplace.;) There is more to April fishing than 'triggerfish' (the 'bluegill' of the Cortez.. which any kid with a safety pin, worm and cane pole can catch.)

And dorado come at other times than just May...:coolup:

As to your question on Mulege area April fishing: You WILL find good fishing in April near Mulege for many different types of fish. While you are not going to catch all of the estimated 800 varieties of identified fish you will catch some..rest assured. (By the way, marine biologists suggest nearly four times that many varieties exist in the Sea of Cortez.)

There are about 30 species of corvinas and croakers alone. Some varieties in our area include: White Seabass, Gulf Corvina, Orange-mouth Corvina, California Corvina, Yellowfin Croaker and Spotfin Croaker. The popular jacks include Yellowtail, Pacific Amberjack, various Pompanos!!, Jack Crevalle and the strong-fighting Roosterfish.

You can catch needlefish, toothy barracuda (makes great smelly carnada..chunk bait), Mexican lookdown, cabrilla, small halibut, papilotte, lizardfish, pargo, puffers, gold-spotted bass (pintos), skippies, large grouper, cabrilla (delicious) and a host of others. Boredom will not be a problem.

And yes. you can even catch those triggerfish! All that is needed is a variety of rods, tackle...and time.

Photos: And as for dorado..I have caught them just south of Mulege near Ille del Fonso by March 15th...the Ides of March! It all depends on water temps and food. Pay attention to El Nino years. Also the large pargo, snappers, and roosterfish come into the Bay of Conception around this time and WILL make your arms tired. They are a whole of fun on cast lures. These aggressive predators bunch up a bait ball and crash through it, inhaling the bait...and your lure. Fish on!

[Edited on 2-27-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
T Mac...I feel I should tell you Bob y Susan buy their fish at the marketplace.;)

As to actual fishing.....you WILL find good fishing in April near Mulege for many different types of fish. While you are not going to catch all of the estimated 800 varieties of identified fish you will catch some..rest assured. (By the way, marine biologists suggest nearly four times that many varieties exist in the Sea of Cortez.)

There are about 30 species of corvinas and croakers alone. Some varieties in our area include: White Seabass, Gulf Corvina, Orange-mouth Corvina, California Corvina, Yellowfin Croaker and Spotfin Croaker. The popular jacks include Yellowtail, Pacific Amberjack, various Pompanos!!, Jack Crevalle and the strong-fighting Roosterfish.

You can catch needlefish, Mexican lookdown, cabrilla, small halibut, papilotte, lizardfish, pargo, puffers, gold-spotted bass (pintos), skippies, large grouper, cabrilla (delicious) and a host of others. Boredom will not be a problem.

And yes. you can even catch those triggerfish! All that is needed is a variety of rods, tackle...and time.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 03:28 AM

Good morning, Bob...you are up with the owls, too? In my case, that's what I get for eating a little too much comida and falling asleep by 7 last night! Nothing like being the only one awake here in the Bay...so might as well get things ready for some fishing.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 04:59 AM

yes poppano the BEST fishing is at Costco or the little pickup truck that stops by:lol::lol:

but croakers have too many worms and susan won't touch them ....

unless she doesn't know:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 05:41 AM

we had great action for Yellowtail april before last, out by santa ynez with Alex. up to 35 to 40 lbs trolling.
we're going again this year, several april and may trips to fish before Dodos get it in july.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 07:16 AM

Mike...Dorado in July. Do you stay at your place much during the summer months? I guess that is the reason for the AC power questions, huh? But what about local power...are you not hooked into Mulege's grid?

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 08:42 AM

oh yeah, we are plugged in full time at serenidad. goes off a lot though but when you're there infrequently like us who cares??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.