BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: N.O.R.R.A. guys and photos...
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 09:05 PM

its all in the tires!

[Edited on 11-3-2012 by willardguy]
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Bruce is doing well I hear from Dave Deal... who raced in the early NORRA days and is well known for his Baja and off road comics... Also the new PIXAR movie 'Cars' is coming out soon, the 'characters' are the creation of Dave Deal in part or whole. They both live in San Diego County.

A Baja Cars movie.....AWESOME:P:cool::cool::cool:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
bajabrant
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 06:29 AM

i raced the bra race also--the driver's name on the horse is rick pacquate
( bad spelling on last name )
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Here's Mickey Thompson at the 1975 Baja Internacional (500) at Valle Trinidad... just got out of his damaged Chevy LUV (with a 454 V-8 in the bed on top of an Olds. front wheel drive installed on the rear tires!)... man he had some wild horsepower vehicles in Baja!

In high school in the late '70s one of my buddies bought one of his trucks from Arcadia Datsun. Every year he had to take it to the dealership to get it 'smog checked' since everything smog related was welded shut. To this day one of the best custom built 4X4 trucks I have ever seen.....even for a Datsun:lol:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 12:57 PM
1975 BRA BAJA 300, Santo Tomas

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabrant
i raced the bra race also--the driver's name on the horse is rick pacquate
( bad spelling on last name )

What a great place Baja Nomad is that people who were at the same event, 38 years ago can share about it here!

75 Baja 300.jpg - 37kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 04:47 PM
BRA (Baja Racing Association)

Man does that bring back memories

Help me a little here with my fading memory.
The head dude was Bill Martin? or was it Miller?
Whispery little voice, came across cranky, but had a big heart.
I seem to remember that his world headquarters was KM37 just west of Mexicali, at the head of the Laguna Salada.
Everything (except the above noted Santo Tomas race) began there.
We won the Laguna Salada 200 in 1973 in the Old Blue pickup
(Had to stand on a stool to take the trophy down, wipe off the dust and read the inscription)
Went down and ended in San Felipe.
Threw off a power steering belt right away, what a b-tch it was to steer that truck.
When we came close to the pavement our crew was there and we yelled at them to go on down to the hiway crossing and take the belt off my family truck- they did, we took a couple minutes to install it on the race truck and away we went.

Great memories.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Man does that bring back memories

Help me a little here with my fading memory.
The head dude was Bill Martin? or was it Miller?
Whispery little voice, came across cranky, but had a big heart.
I seem to remember that his world headquarters was KM37 just west of Mexicali, at the head of the Laguna Salada.
Everything (except the above noted Santo Tomas race) began there.
We won the Laguna Salada 200 in 1973 in the Old Blue pickup
(Had to stand on a stool to take the trophy down, wipe off the dust and read the inscription)
Went down and ended in San Felipe.
Threw off a power steering belt right away, what a b-tch it was to steer that truck.
When we came close to the pavement our crew was there and we yelled at them to go on down to the hiway crossing and take the belt off my family truck- they did, we took a couple minutes to install it on the race truck and away we went.

Great memories.....

EPIC story! Love the original days of Baja Racing (1960's and 1970's) when it still was mostly a 'family' sport with only a few hot shots like Parnelli Jones and Mickey Thompson!

I got my dad to take me to see the 1973 Baja 1000 (Mil) in Ensenada and then out past Ojos Negros just beyond where the pavement towards San Felipe ended.

Mickey Thompson didn't pass his own SCORE rules (or whatever the real story was) and he, Danny and his mechanic drove out to where we were and camped by us with his race pickup on the trailer and watched the race the next morning from the boulders we and others were sitting on. I remembered the morning of the race, at 15 years old saying to myself... wow, that is the world's land speed record holder over there warming himself by a campfire.

Love Off Road Racing stories... The next race I went to was the first SCORE race, The Baja Internacional, in July, 1974... I was camped at Mike's Sky Rancho (where there would be a mandatory 1 hour down time)... Parnelli Jones had a terrible accident in the pine forest near Laguna Hanson as he and Bill Stroppe in the Big Oly Bronco crashed head-on with a motorcycle going backwards on the race course! Biker (an American) was killed, and Parnelli never raced Big Oly again.

Other than that terrible moment (we learned about much later), the race was a huge success and ushered in SCORE as the main race promoter in Baja ever since.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 11:14 AM
Look at what I dug up...

I still have the race program I got in 1974... and we see that thebajarunner is in race car #125 (starting at 9:32 am)!

Looks like I recording you at 4:34 at Mike's.:light:
Oh, look who started next to you... Ivan Stewart!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 06:23 PM
Yep, you got me....

Quote:
I still have the race program I got in 1974... and we see that thebajarunner is in race car #125 (starting at 9:32 am)!

Looks like I recording you at 4:34 at Mike's.:light:
Oh, look who started next to you... Ivan Stewart!

Hard to escape your past:lol::tumble::tumble::tumble:
I am remembering a 4th place finish, not positive about that.
What I do remember was the terrible incident Parnelli had with the wayward biker.
Parnelli's business partner, Marv Porter, was a very close friend of ours, and he had promised to make us a quick lunch during the one hour down time at Mikes.
Marv had brought PJ's slick FMC motor home all the way up to the Sky Ranch, and as soon as we timed in we made a beeline for the motor home.
Marv gave us the sad news about the crash, said PJ and Stroppe were singed by a bit of fire flash but basically o.k.
He made us tuna sandwiches (man, the little things you remember) we stretched a bit, strapped up and away we went.
Sad memory of a great time!!!
And, David, thanks for reminding all of us that we were in there in much better time than most....:yes::yes::yes:
Dick
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 06:49 PM

Yes indeed... Ivan Stewart only was an hour ahead and he was in a race buggy and you were in a pickup truck! Good job Dick! Another great story about Parnelli's motorhome making it into Mike's.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.