Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dorado and Marlin in Loreto
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 09:45 AM
Dorado and Marlin in Loreto

Yesterday and the day before, fishing a distinct temperature break about 50 miles east of Loreto, I caught 33 dorado and my first marlin of the season. I had two other marlin hook-ups that spit the hook after less than a minute and about 15 minutes. The largest dorado was 21 lbs. and the average about 8 or 10. I brought in dorado of 21, 18, 14 and around 12 lbs., which are a little small for keeper dorado, but it has been a long winter. All fish were caught on marlin feathers. My fish were a little bigger than those caught by the three only other boats fishing the area who were using bait and small dorado feathers, since the smaller dorado had trouble getting their mouths around the 9/0 hooks. Pam Bolles, who has a few more years experience than I, cautions against premature optomism based on anything that happens in April, but who knows.... Maybe this early flurry of action portends a good year for dorado in Loreto. After 3 leans years we should be due.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 09:56 AM
Thanks for the report, Bill.

Hope it portends well for this year, but a few of the poor years started out with early flurries.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 10:59 AM

Bill isn't there a limit in loreto for dorado?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 12:54 PM

Bill,
What will you do with 33 Dorado?
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 01:11 PM

Folks

He said he hooked 33 dorado, didn't say anything about keeping them. Don't know Bill, but I'm sure they released the" over the limit" ones.
Right Bill ??
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 01:22 PM

either that or he had 15 other people on the boat:tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 02:05 PM

It says in his post that he brought in 4 fish
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 02:17 PM

The limit on Dorado throughout Mexico, Loreto included, is two per person per day ..period end of story.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Hope it portends well for this year, but a few of the poor years started out with early flurries.

Hook you are right that is my experience too and that of the captains with whom I've been discussing this subject with. I hope we're wrong though.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 02:20 PM

Sounds like the dorado may be coming in early. In 1988 I caught dorado on March 15th north of Loreto off Ille del Fonso and Pta. Teresa...it was a great spring/summer run. Let's hope this year will be a repeat.

I 'caught' 11 sturgeon up here over the last 3 days. In the spring run-off it is easy and soooo much fun. Big ones...Like alligators. Also caught a 'bunch' of reds...didn't really keep count on those.

Tomorrow I might out and catch them all again...if they dared to stay in the area.:rolleyes:

p.s. This last weekend a grandmother broke the record on the largest sturgeon caught in this river...105 lbs. But then, she's an old hand at this. For comparison's sake, the photo below shows an 87 lb sturgeon brought in by Little Luke and JimBob.

[Edited on 4-27-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 05:22 PM

Pomp.........If either one of tose guys is Little Luke then Big Luke must be one big dude. Where are you catching those sturgeon? My brother fishes for sturgeon in Oregon and has been trying to convince me that it is fun. He, however, does a lot more fishing than catching. Eleven of those in three days does sound like a good time.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 05:34 PM
Bill...on those sturgeon..

This fishery is mostly all catch and release...nobody really keeps them anymore since the commercial netters of the early 1900's almost wiped them out. Through a lot of fishermen and sportmen's efforts they are coming back strong these days. There is a slot size, but like I say, nobody really keeps them here except to take a photo.

I have fished for them in Oregon too...and those huge white sturgeon will give you a hernia! Seen some true monsters out there...scary riding that Rogue River mailboat when one jumps right in front of you.

Up North where we are, the sturgeon are easiest to catch in the spring run-offs when they are concentrated in certain areas. It is a fun event, but not for the faint of heart.

[Edited on 4-28-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 04:55 AM

Wife & I were having dinner at Mexico Lindo's, and folks at the table next to us were "bragging" about "catching" 40 Dorado that day, but had to go a long ways out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I hear statements like that, I don't think of whether they were catch & release or what. I just wonder, is it worth going 50 miles with the price of gasoline what it is today to catch anything? How much is it for 'bragging rights'? Or is it for 'on the table'?
The cost versus the pleasure seem to be flip flopping these days, compared to 15 years ago when I first started fishing these waters.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 06:11 AM

Y'know, sometimes you just have to take a break from catching them sturgeon here on the Colmbia River, just to get the excitement back.

Last week I hooked and caught two off the shore and then 4 more the next day in the boat about 300 feet from shore. Maybe 4 hours total fishing time, $1.00 gas. Even though none of them were keepers; all too big or too small, the catching was well worth the effort !!

PS, don't tell my wife I went fishing, she thinks I was shopping for mothers day presents !!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 06:47 AM

With your Permission Pompano:
I was fishing out of Benica near the Mothball fleet in my 22 Ft Chris Craft Lapstake. Had been trolling for Stripers!
had a small Bass rod for casting, so decide to drop two Lines out{Illegal}
Hooked on to a 50Lb Sturgeon, My First on a 12 Lb. Test.

Was observed and caught in the Act by the Game Warden!
they let me keep my fish but demanded my rods, I refused, they took me to the Judge in Martinez{No arrest } but fined me $ 25. an told me the next time they would Take my boat.!!

That was the same Boat my Mother and I took to Loreto before the Road opened. took it across the ferry!!
Smoked Sturgeon is my number one fish for Eating.

Lots of Memories. thanks for bringing them back.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 08:17 AM

Pompano, I have seen a lot of your pictures in Mexico and now I see this sturegeon picture. What a contrast. In Mexico you look warm and content while in this one you look like you need to get home under the electric blanket for an hour or two just to thaw out.:lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.