Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 1984 ARCA Panga
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-22-2006 at 07:14 PM

Skeet

To carry the story farther back the crosly engine was originaly an engine used by the the military for field refrigeration unit, if you remembery the old crosly frig's for homes, That engine went on to power a lot of road race cars in the early 60's.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 02:30 AM

Paladin;

Take lots of "BullFrog"-Long Sleeve Shirts- all the protection from the Sun that you can Get!!
My face and Arms are covered with multiple Scars from Operations over the years for, Thank God, from surface Cancers. caused by not taking care of the sun!!

Have a Good Life on the Sea Of Cortez- I wish I could do it all over Again!!!

Skeet/Loreto
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 06:26 AM
Panga

I have an 89 - 22 ft ARCA with an old 55 Johnson. Old outboards like mine kick up when you hit the beach. If I had to do it over again I would be sure to match the motor to the launch/haul where I was gonna fish. There are no ramps near my place so it's just an ever changing sand beach for in and out. The new Diaz boats have a step chine that makes em more stable but I like my flat bottom (no wake, more fish - and I like to slice through the waves when I have to). Panga IMHO is the perfect, safe, stable fishing platform for SOC. Good luck, good fishing.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 12:14 PM

I think you are now on the right track. Work with Lupe who knows these boats as well as anyone around there. I would personally like my gas tank to be under the deck as it keeps the deck area free for walking around and chasing those big marlin and dorado.
From my personal experience, I would suggest that you do not underpower the boat. First, if you have to keep the boat always at the higher RPM's to keep it on the plane, you will wear out a motor sooner and burn lots of gas. Second, if you ever want to carry a couple of extra people, the weight will have you completely underpowered. The mexicans use these boats in a pretty uncluttered manner and do fine with a 55 hp enduro Yamaha, but as soon as we add gas tanks, tackle, gear, people, and all the other stuff we can't do without, then it takes more power to push that weight through the water. I have a friend who has the same boat as you are describing at San Lucas and he pushes it with a 70 hp two stroke evinrude. If I were powering I would use a 4 stroke in the 75-90 range.
I have a 115 4 stroke on my boat and use very little gas because I am always running from 1/2 to 3/8 throttle, and the design of the boat allows for that, but I have the reserve when and if I ever need it.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 07:46 PM
Shroyer Panga

We have had this one since it was built in 1982..
On our forth motor..100hp Yamaha four stroke..Best one yet:bounce:
Running at 1 mile per liter..carries a 40gal center tank, with no problems other than a couple years that I "mixed" my gas in the tank on an old Evenrude 100 two stroke:no:
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 09:13 PM
What kind of tank?

Nice boat, Is the tank metel or Fiberglass?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 05:45 AM

this is all very good discussion, and convinces me when the time is nigh to invest in a NEW boat!!;):rolleyes::biggrin:
and i hope it is to be a Diaz Panga out of los barriles.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
this is all very good discussion, and convinces me when the time is nigh to invest in a NEW boat!!;):rolleyes::biggrin:
and i hope it is to be a Diaz Panga out of los barriles.

Me too, I think...
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 08:46 AM

Shoot Mike you could probably trade that old bird or yours for a brand new shiny Diaz Super Panga. Not only that but have you ever tried to troll out of an airplane.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 12:57 PM

hey!! lets get a Grumman widgeon, goose or de havilland on floats and we CAN troll!!:coolup:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 01:05 PM

Yes, we have fished the Bahamas out of a Chaulks Airlines belly-lander !

The ramp was being repaired so we had to anchor 50' offshore and wait for the onloading passengers to be ferried out.

I took out my Popiel Pocket Fisherman, baited my hook with a few pieces of Juicy Fruit molded into the shape of a fish and caught a 370lb Wahoo on my first cast !

Just Kidding :lol:

But we have been dropped off to snorkel our way in towards shore when they landed at Eleuthra in the 80's.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 01:07 PM

Mike,

By the time you get around to actually buying a boat, you will need one with a potty and a place for the old captain to rest between boils.
Maybe you should start looking at cabin cruisers now ?? :lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 01:55 PM

i am very familiar with Chalks charter group, what a dream job to have:saint:

yeah, this boat think is hard to put together when you're not retiradado yet!

but at least i am getting good at figuring out all the angles. heck, by the time i am ready i might just be able to afford one. Until then i'll ride with Marv and Alex!!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 03:38 PM

I've done a lot of fishing ans some snorkeling off my '92 14' Lund with newer 15hp Merc. The whole rig with trailer cost me under $2,000 used.
Make the plunge !!

Oh yeh,
And my 12' Zodiak with 9.9hp cost less than a grand used !

[Edited on 5-24-2006 by Diver]
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 09:36 AM
Tank ?

"Panga" the tank is 40gal fiberglass..has held up well over all these years:yes:
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 10:19 AM

Very nice I wish I xould say the same. By the way my friend with the 22 ft panga, very much like yours, is selling it this summer. He is gonna stick withhis skip jack.
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 02:36 PM

I am currently looking to buy a panga in Baja. Nothing fancy with a console or anything, just a tiller steered outboard is fine and in the range of 18 to 22 feet would be perfect. What do you think the cost range would be for something older like that.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.