Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bilge Pump Blues
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 06:36 PM
Bilge Pump Blues

My bilge pump needs replacing.

I would like to know who you think makes the best bilge pumps? Attwood? Lovett? Johnson? Mafare? Rule? Whale ? Any others?

I believe that manufacturers seem to install too small bilge pumps. So I am looking for a good brand with high volume output for a 23' boat. (I already know about the scared man with a 5 gallon bucket being the best.)

What can you recommend, fishermen and boaters? Also any good tips on installation, hoses, through-hulls, etc will be appreciated. Gracias.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 06:49 PM

my 22 footer is plummed with three rule pumps wich i believe are good all around pumps. i have two in the bilge, one has a switch and the other has a automatic switch(you need two in case one fails) and they are all plumbed to a thru hull out the side. the third one sits down in the self bailing bilge, in case i have so much weight in the back the bilge will take over and pump the water in the scuppers. good luck.:coolup:
Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 06:54 PM

It depends on how you are currently set up. Do you need a positive displacement pump or a centrifugal pump. If your pump is mounted below the waterline you can usually get by with a centrifugal pump. They are not self-priming so they need to be mounted with a thru-hull and below the water-line.

I like centrifugal pumps because typically the amp draw is very low and they are relatively quiet and fairly inexpensive

If the pump must be mounted above the waterline such as with a transom pickup tube you will most likely need a positive displacement pump (self-priming).
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:02 PM

4baja...I read where Rule makes a 8000gph pump. That may be overkill, but certainly comforting. I agree about having 2-3 bilge pumps, in addition to the bait-well pump.

I am also wondering about using different level switches..both auto and manual.. and not setting them so close together as I have seen. Less chance of loosing both to trash, etc.

We had a good discussion recently about using corrugated hose with internal ridges. One said that cuts the rated pump performance by 15% or more according to what he read on Boat/US tests. I may pull the hose and replace with smooth-bore output hose. I also like the solid stainless steel thru-hulls another buddy has on his boat.

Well, that's one vote for Rule, which is a highly respected brand. Any others?

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:05 PM
good info, Alan

[My pumps will be both above and below the waterline. 2 for bilge and one for bait-tank, so it looks like 2 centrifugal and 1 displacement. Thanks.

Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:53 AM

Actually you should disregard my answer. I guess I just always have fishing on my mind. You wrote Bilge Pumps, I read Bait tank Pumps
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:16 AM

Thanks, Alan...was thinking the same thing yesterday. Good advice on bait types, though.

Will be shopping soon at West Marine in San Diego. Can't wait to get out fishing again on the Cortez.

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by Summanus]

redjonson

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:26 AM

A 3 inch hole in the boat is no problem if you have a 4 inch pump.........(Alaska native fisherman quote)
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:45 PM

Marine surveyor David Pascoe is a fellow who can excite passions of love or hate, depending on whose sacred cow he is railing against this week, but I doubt anyone can question that he is a knowledgeable fellow on marine matters. His article on bilge pumps is worth a read:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:37 PM

I vote for Rule. Im in San Diego also. Go over the the West Marine on Rosecrans and take a look at the Bilge pump working display. They have a series of pumps in series, small to large. Im sure you will decide like I did, Give me the big one!
You will need to size the pump to your thru hull size. You cant pump 3000 gph out of a 3/4" thru hull, a typical size for a 500 gph pump. U2U if you need anything else.
http://www.rule-industries.com/prodInfoApp/servlet/DisplayPr...
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 10:10 PM

Been in two swamped boats, the 16' alaskan had an oversized bilge that may have saved our lives(go big!) the catalina 22' sailboat had drain covers with really small holes and wouldnt empty the c-ckpit (about 200 gals.) until the covers were removed(poor design), picture your boat swamped the buy your bilge pump, 2cents

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.