Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MEAT.MEAT.MEAT.MEAT.MEAT
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 08:50 PM
MEAT.MEAT.MEAT.MEAT.MEAT

Quote:
You talking about the now-Uruguayan place? I think they should name it "La Esquina Salada"-- perhaps that would break the curse...

BTW, have you tried it? I have yet to pass when it's open...

--Larry

We went to the Uruguayan restaurant at the corner of Abasolo and Jalisco in la Paz tonight at 630. Very pleasant inside with comfortable rustic chairs and tables. Full bar, wines and beer. A house specialty is the Tinto Verano served by the pitcher for 70 pesos. Red wine spritzer. Delightful. Served iced. They started us off with empanadas and chimichurri salsa, complimentary. The chimichurri was similar to a bagna caulda: Oil based, fresh green herbs and garlic and onion. The empanada dough was light and tender. The restaurant offers many cuts of beef plus a sampler platter. That's what we ordered. Ribs, steak, tenderloin, chorizo, chicken, matahambre, foil wrapped potatoes, kidneys and a skewer plus homemade bread and roasted red pepper.
It was all served in a chafer, keeping everything warm until we were stuffed. Our plates were actually cutting boards.
Also on the menu were various pasta dishes: Lasagna, capellini green or white, spaghetti, ravioli, canneloni. Pizzas, empanadas and Chivitos. Chivitos con or sin pan, are a meat sandwich with lettuce, peppers and a griddle fried egg. If you opt for no bun on your chivito, you get fries. Three desserts offered.

We will go again, and try the pastas and the chivitos.
Skip the bread

constructive criticism: a bit heavy with the salt

[Edited on 1-1-2007 by villadelfin]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 12:34 AM

Thanks, we have been considering going there for a while now and now that you o.k. the place we will try it for sure.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 08:16 AM

not to belabor an old favorite subject, but do they occasionally offer Bar-B-Q seal meat, the young ones, kinda like veal.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 01:02 PM

Must have Capt. G'S SEAL of Approval I'm there! Arf!! Arf!!
"Seal the other veal"
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 05:09 PM

Quote:

"Seal the other veal"

:smug::tumble::spingrin:

Therianthropic
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 03:36 PM

The S.O. and I had dinner at the latest Uruguayan restaurant incarnation at the cursed corner of Jalisco and Abasolo and the meal was wonderful. We ordered the Canneloni and the Milanesa Napolitana and shared. Both dishes were very well done, although they looked a little lonely on the platters, served as they were without a side dish or any garnish. Both orders could've benefited from inclusion of something like Rigatoni with a marinara sauce, which would be our suggestion. This version of Milanesa was the closest to Veal Parmigian that we've had in a Baja restaurant and it was quite good. Although not veal, it was tenderized beef, breaded as usual, fried and then covered with a slice of ham, some salami, tomato sauce and cheese, then finished in the oven. Just writing about it makes me ready for some more.

We found the waiter and the owners to be a little too pushy with the wine list and the dessert menu though. We don't like having our arms twisted to order wine we don't want. The dessert we settled on however, and enjoyed enormously, consisted of two layered butter cookies with a cajeta filling that were toothsome indeed, and for two bucks a cookie they should be.

Friends of ours tried the restaurant at a later time but left before ordering dinner because the music was obnoxiously loud and the staff would not turn down the volume, explaining that they wanted to create a "party atmosphere" to attract a crowd. Not. Very. Smart. Our friends had a drink, split, and had dinner at another restaurant where they could hear themselves think.

So, although the food was terrific we are afraid, with an attitude like this, the restaurant will be another in a long list of failures at that location. Pity, that. We wish that our local restauranteurs could get it through their thick heads that people who go out to enjoy a good meal also want to talk to each other and enjoy each other's company, that is indeed a large part of what the whole thing is all about, a shared social experience. Obnoxiously loud music (of whatever quality) and blaring televisions work against the very thing a good restaurant should strive for, an ambience in which people are stroked and soothed, not assaulted with noise pollution and pressured by pushy waiters.

Nevertheless, the food is so good the place deserves a chance to get it right. And, offhand, I'd say the cuisine is as much Italian as it is Uruguayan, and being a refugee from San Francisco's North Beach that's okay by me.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 04:00 PM

Based in part on the idea put forward by Richard Least Heat Moon in his book Blue Highways, that the quality of the food will be directly proportional to the number of calendars visible from the dining room...

We use the idea that in an authentic Mexican restaurant, the food will not be worth beans if there aren't at least three sources of noise. Music for the cooks, a TV for the kitchen, a different TV in the dining room, and some foreground music trying to drown out the Mexican soap operas.

I don't know about where they serve Italian food, but for Mexican food, and especially north of the border, if we can't hear ourselves talk, we usually expect good authentic Mexican food. I think its a cultural thing.:lol: No problem with us. Come to think of it...I don't remember ever having had a good Mexican meal at a place where they had a WINE LIST. Then again...we're commoners.

MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT...

[Edited on 1-22-2007 by vgabndo]

[Edited on 1-22-2007 by vgabndo]

san javier 2006 102.jpg - 50kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 05:11 PM

I'm with you Vagabundo. Keep the tv and music up loud then I don't have to talk and I can focus on eating and drinking!
Nice cow. Is he smiling?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 12:32 AM

That's disgusting(to me)

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 12:44 AM

Here's another dead animal I ate. Actually still eating it. Smoked him and pressure canned the morsels of gold.
The difference is perception, no? Or is it about mammals?

yellow tail w john 018 reduced.JPG - 45kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 12:56 AM

Hard to say. Maybe it is because when skinned the anatomy is close to humans. Like you said, mammals. Hey, I do eat them sometimes. Just don't like that part of that part of the process.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 04:02 AM

that cow looks to be a head above all the others!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 07:26 AM

We have talking about trying it Thurs. night. What are the prices like.
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 01:55 PM
Uruguayan restaurant

A few nights ago we took a party of six to the Uruguayan restaurant we'd enjoyed so much a few months ago. Happy to report that the food was as good as the last time and the service was better.

Between us, we ordered a hamburger, a chivito de res, brochettes of both chicken and beef, and an order of spaghetti. Terrific meal all around and with four beers and two refrescos added to the tab the total was around 620 pesos. I had the brochette de res and was served two skewers of tender beef interspersed with chunks of onions, tomatos and yellow and green peppers. The beef was perfect.

The French fries that accompanied two of the orders were the best we've ever had anywhere on the Baja. Man, I hope this place makes it, it would be a cryin' shame to lose French fries like these.

The music was still a little too loud and it wasn't accomplishing what the owners want it to do -- create a "party" atmosphere and pull in a bar crowd -- so there's still some room for improvement in the ambience. But the food is by far the best we've ever been served by any of the incarnations that has occupied the corner of Jalisco and Abasolo in La Paz. :spingrin:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 04:48 PM
You folks are killing me!

As I read all of these wonderful and savory comments I am looking at my box of food from Nutrisystem. 210 while stomping around Baja...........Returned to the sedate life of the States and blossomed to 250 so now I am starving and you are parading this wonderful stuff in front of a salivating fool.

Hi Jesse

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2007 at 12:16 AM

vgabndo

Now we know the answer to the question, "where is the beef?" You found it. Great display and presentation. It takes a lot of guts to run a cow!

Iflyfish
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2007 at 08:13 AM

Looking at that picture of the cow's head reminds me of the wonderful Ancho Chili's stuffed with Braised Beef Cheeks at Savario's in Tijuana.

Delicious!:cool::cool::cool:
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 08:54 AM
more carne

patagonia style

2005 Estancia Ride 065.JPG - 25kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.