Author: Subject: Sierra Snap
bajafly
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2007 at 11:23 AM
Sierra Snap

REPORT #1050 “Below the Border” Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
Endless Season Update 02/17/07

East Cape

Beach and inshore action this week was dominated by a better-than-normal sierra bite that went on from gray light until well after sunrise. Our guide reported that between releasing fish and retying flies on, he barely had time to take any photos. If you were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, the small roosters and ladyfish could be found chasing small schools of sardina right to the beach. Offshore there was still consistent billfish and dorado action to the north outside of Punta Pescadero, as well as to the outside of the color break near the Punta Arena.

Water temperature 65-70
Air temperature 58-77
Humidity 62%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Partly Cludy
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 6:51 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:15 p.m. MST
Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

Remarkably, the whale count continues to climb. Enrique Soto, Puerto San Carlos, reported seeing over fifty whales on a three hour trip on Friday. Huge schools of large squid have mysteriously appeared during the week and have been washing up on the sandy beaches. Inside the Esteros, the corvina fishing exploded this week for the few anglers fishing there. There were also a few snook caught at Devil’s Curve.

Offshore, in spite of the windy conditions earlier in the week, local shark fishermen found both marlin and dorado west of the Entrada, 10 – 22 miles.

Water temperature 65 - 72
Air temperature 64 -79
Humidity 41%
Wind: Light
Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Visibility 5 miles
Sunrise 7:00 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:22 p.m. MST

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico
This week's trend is still staying true to the improving fishing from last week. The sailfish average is holding at between two and three sails per boat per day, but the blue marlin have showed up to join the party. Early in the week, foretelling what was to come, several huge blues were taken. A couple came in around 750 pounds, and a few more between 450 and 650 pounds. But, on Thursday, six big blues hit the dock, and then yesterday (Friday), another eight. Plus, several more were taken by the private boats based out of Marina Ixtapa.

Keep in mind, more of these marlin are lost than are actually hooked. Almost every boat in the blue water is getting a shot at one. Almost all the blues are being taken on a slow trolled live black skipjack tuna.

The inshore action is kind of unknown at this time, as most captains are telling their clients to try for the marlin.

Ed Kunze
Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 75-89
Humidity 82%
Wind: SE 15 mph
Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
Visibility 6 miles
Sunrise 7:12 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:48 p.m. CST

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-17-2007 at 01:48 PM

As a kid we used to catch those Sierra, we'd eat 'em fresh, fried and broiled. Would fillet and salt the rest. Salt Sierra for breakfast was one way to start the day off right, but you'd be thirsty for the rest of the day.:lol:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 04:12 AM

:light:sounds good to me Cypress....

soon, amigo, soon!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 09:49 AM

I've always wondered about people who say they don't like this fish or that fish, because they taste to "fishy." What the heck is a fish supposed to taste like? I like fish that taste like fish. Those other guys can have the codfish---I'll take sierra or another "fishy" fish anytime, "fresh, fried and [or] broiled," as Cypress says.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 09:57 AM

Personally< I like my fish to be a little on the sheepish side in flavoring:bounce:

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 10:10 AM

In Bahia San Nicolas, in the past, we normally got into the Sierras while "Kira Trolling". With dinner already in the boat, we'd change to a couple of K-mart light spinning combo outfits, tie on a Kroc. so they were easier to release and have some real fun with rods bent double and singing drags. A nice three foot Sierra on light tackle is FUN!

Because they are oily they're also delicious SMOKED.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 10:19 AM
Wonderful "Sierra"------

------some of the most fun fishing I have ever had is catching Sierra in a big school, the fishing action just went on, and on, and on-----------.

I think that Sierra are among the most tasty fish in Baja-----my absolute favorite!!

Fish should taste like "fish"------

Viva Sierra!!!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 10:19 AM

Mullet AKA "Biloxi Bacon" are really good also, they are extra tastey smoked.:bounce:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 10:25 AM

Imho, Sierra is the best for Ceviche! And lotsa fun to catch on light tackle!!I didn't think they were"fishy'!";)

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2007 at 09:25 AM
steak or fillets?

which is the more common method of cuttin them up? im going to be doing some surf fishing in the pescadero/todos santos area. sierra seem to be the most common catch.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2007 at 09:57 AM

Fillet, unless you're gonna broil 'em.:spingrin: To broil, don't fillet, just remove head etc. and wrap in foil with whatever seasoning you like and cook it:) Does real well when covered with hot campfire coals and left for an hour or so.:):tumble:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.