BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Gregor, Klamath, Smoker ???
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 12:07 PM

I'll throw in my two cents. I have fished with a Gregor Baja Special for the last 20+ years. Used to carry it on top of my '71 duelly camper "the Beast". We would launch it by rolling it on 3 or 4 approximately 10" diameter boat fenders. As one pops out the back it is carried to the front and on you go. You would want to buy lifetime gauranteed fenders, this is hard on them. Loaded with motor, gas, wooden floorboards, anchor, spare gas, water, tackle etc it was not a one man job. But then I seldom go fishing alone. 2 men could muscle it around, 3 people made the job easier. Launched and returned bow first, after launching would use oars to get past the surf line, then fire up the Suzuki 15 hourse tiller steered outboard. (Surf means Mar de Cortez surf of <1.5 feet, never really got comfortable launching into anything bigger) Fished Punta Chivato to East Cape, inshore and as far out as ~ 10 miles. Caught and released one estimated weight 160 lb marlin, 3 est weight 100 lb sailfish, and quite a few tuna and dorado, most all released except for the unlucky ones which made it to the BBQ. Also mucho toros, sierras, as well as a few nice cabrilla and yellowtail. I cracked a weld on the transom, and had it rewelded, I currently have a hole in the bow caused in some wierd way I think by electrolosys, a gaff point pressing against the hull in a pool of rainwater which I need to get welded up. If I had it to do over again I might buy the Alaska Special instead, as it has a higher transom (and needs a long shaft motor) as I have had waves slop over the lower transom. Also probably go to the rated max HP of 25, as I assume fuel efficiency has improved in the last 25 years. The 15 Hp motor could jsut about fish all of a long day on 6 gallons, carried 2 gallons in a gas can for emergencies. The only other concern I have today is moving it around, more often nowadays it will be just my wife and I, and I haven't figured it out exactly but it seems like I'm not getting stronger as I get older.
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 12:57 PM

The Gregor web site has photos. I think it's gregorboats.com if not google it.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 01:04 PM

wsdunc, :bounce: You're speaking from the voice of experience.:bounce:Thanks.:tumble:
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 01:22 PM

hookemup.... thanks for the offer... I have seen at least 6 15' gregors here in Los Barriles.... they run up to and out from El Pescador and as far east as El Faro(lighthouse).. there seems to be an equal mix of Klamath and Gregor... interesting note that none of them are the original owners of the boats... seems like everyone buys one here and does't trailer one down from states.. they already had wheels...
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 03:52 PM

The wheels could be fabbed down here, if you bring down a couple of spindles but it would be much easier in the States unless you realy know your way around. There are some differences in design, so check out a few to see which suits you,I went a little overboard with aluminum and machining which ran the cost up,but hey it's my fisnin' boat.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I havent read the Baja Catch book in years but I thought Neil contended that 15 foot was just too big to manage for shore launches. I thought he preferred 12-13.

I tend to agree with that. The launch wheels make it doable to use the 15 footer but you still need to pull it off the trailer and you now have to mount your 25 hp motor instead of the 15hp. You can drive around with the boat on the trailer and the motor on the transom but only on smooth roads, not washboard or dirt roads. Or you'll crack the support brackets on the transom. But what good is a small tin boat and motor if you can't take it offroad to remote locations.

So I'm staying with my 13'8" gregor. It's a choice of a bigger boat with greater range or a smaller boat more suitable for the 'outback'.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 08:12 PM

I still have my father's 1970s 15' Gregor - he roofed top that thing all over Western USA and Mexico. He fished the Oregon coast, fer christ sakes, in it. That's no small feat. After sitting for 5 years in my brothers shop yard I picked it up, sandblasted it for cleaning and then spent about $500 getting a gillion pin holes welded up and zotanoned the inside. Looks real good and I still use it in small lakes in the sierras. Same 15hp Yamaha still runs good. Amazing.
Whatever you get, make sure it has a full height transom and BOLT THE ENGINE ON. Just ask ..... oh, we can't:(
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 08:33 AM

If you look under the posting on Boating by Osprey just below this post you will see a picture of a Gregor outfitted with center balance wheels which was designed and built by Ken Reeder of Hamilton, Montana.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 12:28 PM

Anyone have a lead to the 15' gregor for sale... somewhere between Boise and Los Barriles??? I am driving down a Toyota p/u to leave at my place and could tow down the outfit.. someone must be heading home for the summer and have a nice outfit for sale...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.