Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:47 AM
Pompano Fish Report 1 - April 2007

Pompano Fish Report
Sea of Cortez - Mulege
Pta. Chivato-San Marcos waters

Well, after sitting ashore for too many days because of high winds (but no rogue waves ;D), we were determined to get on the water ASAP. After a well-planned ‘late start’ having coffee and examining our options, we trailered the boat 15 miles to the Serinadad ramp in Mulege.

(Side note: we are still managing to avoid the cattle who still frequent the same old place near the highway shoulder just past the microndas tower hill. I often wonder just how much livestock has been tenderized on that same stretch over the years? Personally, I have not clobbered one yet.....but I am overdue and am ready with a sturdy cowcatcher.)

We launched our Striper CC without mishap at the restored ramp. No waiting for us...because everyone else had already made their baits and were off to the fishing grounds. Note to self: get up an hour earlier. The Mulege estuary has changed somewhat since Hurricane Juan flooded it and rearranged the sand/mud bars. Now you just leave the cement pier and take a heading just right of the lighthouse..taking you safely through the shallows and rocks to the Cortez. Plenty of water now with the right tides...no problema...which at least is one good thing from Bad Juan. We only had to go a few hundred yards to stop at Punta Prieta to make some very quick baits...all bigeyes...all eager to eat our Zubeki feathers. Right off the bottom at 25ft...I jigged them up 3-4 at a time and kept mi amigo busy unhooking them into the livewell. There being just the three of us fishing (non-fishers, the two boat dogs just retrieve bait) we only tanked a couple dozen and said good enough..plus you don’t want to overload your livewell and end up with all dead baits. Now we are ready and head out..a’fishing we go!

The ride north to our hotspot was about 12 miles and was glass smooth..time for more coffee with some breakfast burritos made the night before at the Equipales café in Mulege, thanks to host Francisco. (I don’t know about you, but I have a very good appetite going while at sea..so don’t set your lunch down near me...ever.) Cold Pacificos would come later with another burrito for lunch. Getting to a slight hump of rocks at 205ft over a general 250 ft bottom, we decided to fly-line 2 baits and send one other down with a 3oz. sliding egg weight...bumping the bait’s nose. We were using Circle hooks and Mustads and hooking through the nose of the bigeyes..tied directly to 40lb mono on light action rods with good Newell level winders. Drags set for our targets...jurel. The surface water temp was 71. We got a hit right off on the deep bait... and missed it due to ‘some burrito grease on the drag lever’..?..or so my partner said...sheesh. Then we got into some fast action and all started getting hits. Unfortunately, they were all small sharks and were biting us off. We brought 3 to the boat to release before we decided to let them have this area for a bit. See photo.

We went a few more miles to north end San Marcos to meet another boat, Strange Lady, already there, but had no good luck with our baits or trolling Mirrolures over the hump up there next to the seal rocks. We managed a couple of pintos with some deep darts and that was about it for that area. Our buddies in the other boat said this spot was red hot just the day before, but we figured it for a late afternoon bite if any. Lots of pangas around catching small red snapper on long lines for the Easter crowds...but we had our mouths set on yellowtails..jurel.

We went back to our old spot..coming in behind Strange Lady, who took a nice yellow as we pulled in beside. We were planning to get our baits down through the sharks quickly to the waiting yellows far below in the rocks. I sent a weighted bigeye over the side and it was hit about 20ft below the boat...and went for the bottom in a rush...not like a shark...but a sure sign of a yellowtail. I let him have about a 5-7 second count before setting the hook. This fish was strong and I had to feather the drag with my thumb a little to help slow that first powerful run without breaking the line. This was more like it! My buddy asked "How big?'...I gleefully said, ‘Oh, somewhere under 75lbs...!’

Rather sarcastically I thought, he says, ”Yeah, about 50lbs under 75lbs..maybe 60.” Well, he never could judge fish worth a darn.

After a fierce struggle with this monster I brought him to the gaff and we had our first yellow in the boat. Obviously, I had fought a lot of weight off of him in our battle, because he totaled out around 20lbs..okay, maybe 18, then..a little short of 75, but understandable given the circumstances. This is a phenomenon that happens all too often, but a good fisherman can adapt at the c-cktail bar in the recounting of the day’s events. We caught another shark and the winds kicked up from the east..(wind from the east, fish bite the least) ..both bad omens...so it was time to head for the barn.

The solo yellowtail is now cleaned in the round, frozen, and enroute via Alaska airlines today to Oregon with our other buddy, who will serve it for lunch to his pals up there. A treat from Baja.

As all our days on the water, it was a great day to be out on it.

[Edited on 4-5-2007 by Pompano]

-1 a a a fishing Monday 004 (Medium).jpg - 39kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:49 AM
boat dogs get our bait ready...

-1 a a a fishing Monday 007 (Custom).jpg - 34kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:50 AM
oops...pesky little sharks.

-1 a a a fishing Monday 020 (Medium).jpg - 34kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:51 AM
release gently...

-1 a a a fishing Monday 025 (Medium).jpg - 43kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:53 AM
and finally...a yellowtail for our friend's dinner in Oregon.

As I said before, and will again...a good day on the water. Hope you all have one soon.

-1 a a a fishing Monday 048 (Medium).jpg - 43kB

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 11:02 AM

arghhh here at Lake I-Wanna-B-Gone in Florida...

I shall return......in May.

thanks for stirring the old testos juice!!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 11:24 AM

Pompano...You know how to make me sad and gleeful at the same time...I love you man....

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 09:58 PM
Not so many fishing fans left on Nomads anymore...but maybe it is not too late..

So....who can tell me what species of shark is in this photo?

-1 a a a fish photo.jpg - 39kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:09 PM

Enjoyed your report Pompano and hope it's the first of many. The fishing forum has been a bit dry recently.

Don't know what shark that is. Dogfish?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:38 PM

Skipjack! Right on...dogfish they were. We caught and safely released about 5-6 fo these yesterday. They were having a feast with our baits. :D

Guess I should post some guacamole recipes or Loreto critiques to keep abreast of things, eh? Oh well, I am a Baja dinosaur and can only post accordingly.

We go out to sea again on Thursday, so bear with me for another fishing report. Remember, I will always tell the fishing truth..up to a point.:saint:

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:56 PM

God job on the YT. I also noticed the lack of fish reports lately. Oh well I always hug my fish before I fillet and release.

Hey only 2 more months until I can post a Baja sur fish report.
This year we are bringing Kayaks down. I hope to go on a Baja sleigh ride!

[Edited on 4-5-2007 by Frank]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 06:45 AM

Thanks Pomp! Keep them coming as there are a lot of us who read them - just not too many posters.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 07:38 AM

Really enjoyed the fishing report as well as the pictures.:tumble: Looking forward to the next report.:biggrin:Thanks Pompano.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 08:49 AM

Thanks for the report, Pomp.

Hope to begin writing more reports in June; the paradigm shift in life lies just ahead.:o

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 09:33 AM

Man, I can't wait to get back to warm salt water, sunshine, and FISHING! Thanks, Pompano, you reminded me why I look at the calendar every day. We'll be down there in July, hopefully for a month or two and then I'll be U2U'ing you for a secret fishing spot if my traditional poor fishing prowess holds true for another year! :lol:

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.