BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loncharia La Mision - Best Chorizo in Baja
lspeer

[*] posted on 4-24-2007 at 06:21 PM
Loncharia La Mision - Best Chorizo in Baja

Loncharia La Mision has the best Chorizo in Baja. Its on the free road north of the bridge. You won't be disappointed.
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 12:13 PM

What bridge, what city?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 03:19 PM

it's in the town of La Mision where the free road leaves the coast to head inland, headed south between TJ and Ensenada.

The bridge is about a mile inland and is over the Rio Guadalupe, I believe.

Their huevos rancheros was pretty good too, but not as good as at the restaurant across from Magana's.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
it's in the town of La Mision where the free road leaves the coast to head inland, headed south between TJ and Ensenada.

The bridge is about a mile inland and is over the Rio Guadalupe, I believe.

Their huevos rancheros was pretty good too, but not as good as at the restaurant across from Magana's.

Hook,

OK fill us in on the restaurant across from Magana's. Always looking for a good review from a Nomad. :yes:

Thanks in advance.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 05:18 PM

Well, it's pretty rustic, but not as rustic as a rancho loncheria, as their selection is a little better than the average rancho loncheria. I think the place is called Paola's. You get a decent "relish tray/salsa tray" (yeah, I know, that's a gringo term) and the tortillas are excellent and the food is less expensive than Maganas; bout the same as Loncheria La Mision. Cant remember if they serve beer there, though. I like beer with a mexican breakfast. I can drink beer AND coffee at breakfast.

Best table at the place in question is the one in the back where the corner windows come together.

I am partial to huevos rancheros with the crispy tortilla as a base. That is not the typical method there, so just request it. It IS the typical way at Loncheria La Mision.

After trying all three places in La Mision, you really cant go wrong with any of them.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 08:01 PM

Hook -----

Beer and coffee for breakfast? You must have aquired that taste at the Swallows.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 07:58 AM

Here in Asuncion we make chorizo out of abalone! Darn yummy. Also Juan's sister makes abalone tamales and empanadas...abalone season is real tastey.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 08:03 AM

When is abalone season? I prefer abalone to lobster!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Hook -----

Beer and coffee for breakfast? You must have aquired that taste at the Swallows.

A good guess, but, no, I acquired it in Mexico, after eating so many hot breakfasts. Only a nice mexican lager slakes that. My stomach is averse to sweet breakfasts, so you will usually find me ordering the chorizos and the huevos a la some-picante-style.

We did Swallows Day this year, for the first time in a couple, and spent some serious time in the Swallows. The bar is the same; good drinks, friendly people, fair prices, good bands. A consistent bar is one of life's joys.

Still wish Freddy was making Mexican food there, though.........

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 08:54 AM

Beer for breakfast is common particularly with those men who do not drink coffee....abalone season differs in each region...it opened here at the beginning of April and there is a quota so the length of season depends on when they fullfill the quota...for example if there is a big swell and they can't dive for awhile, the season lasts longer...at the moment it is closed for 2 weeks as the abalone weren't fat enough in the area they started to work. Every few days, they switch to a new area after one areas quota is reached. Each boat gets 150 kilos a day...which they get in a couple hours max. We have been enjoying fresh abalone the last few weeks...divine..and we make sausage, burgers, empanadas, crema (dip) out of the edges we cut off for the abalone cutlets we fry in garlic butter...enough about food already...todays menu is pulpo frito...fried octopus....also heavenly. buen provecho

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 09:04 AM

Man, I am REALLY impressed with the sense of conservation of the resources that exists in the co-ops from Tortuga on down to Abreojos. Why doesnt that seem to be the case in other parts of Baja, especially the S o C?

Someone has done a great job of selling them on the idea that taking less can actually mean more in the long run.

We've taken this post pretty far afield, but it is a good topic.

[Edited on 5-1-2007 by Hook]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 09:24 AM

Yes, they have won many awards for their conservation efforts and sustainability. I'm proud of them. Lots of $$$ goes into the vigilancia program as it is 24/7 but pays off in the long run. Also the coop here is developing an abalone aquaculture to raise seed in case of any natural disasters (more el niņo, oil spill etc.) so they will have the seed in reserve..plus sthey can seed the reefs with the type of abalone that is higher quality. cool eh.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 09:33 AM

Shari ---

I agree with beer for breakfast. Just dont want to mix it with coffee.

Hook ---- Wow. Freddy in the kitchen. Forgot all about that. Early seventies if memory serves. Is Kenny still there or is he unable to fit through the door?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 09:44 AM

Beer with (Mexican) breakfast... of course! What IS beer, afterall??? Liquid granola!

Shari... can you keep abalone frozen or canned for use after the season (for special occaisions)? I realize it won't be as good as fresh from the sea!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.