Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pompano Fish Report 4
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 03:25 AM
Pompano Fish Report 4

Pompano Fish Report 4

My two visiting friends from the US were anxious to get in some fishing and after reading Don Alley's recent dorado catch on Nomads, we were set to find out if any do-dos had made it up towards Mulege yet.

The Plan:

We met with some other fishermen and discussed this over a few...er, many..well a whole bunch..of Pacificos and decided to take two boats with 4 guys each and go .. in search of. (Even though the night before the moon did not hold water....;))

We would fish yellowtail and cabrilla at some locations on the way south to Pta. Teresa, then head straight out into the Cortez towards the mainland looking for dorado and marlin arrivals. We all know about the warm water current that flows NNE from Ille Delfonso towards San Carlos, then bends back towards Tortuga way to the north, having caught many early bulls there in the past.

If there are any dorado around they should be in this stretch of water.

The Action:

Our plan going well, we make bait early off Mulege estuary and head south towards Pta. Teresa..checking out a couple of yellowtail hotspots along the way, using both deep and shallow live-bait. The water was flat, barely a swell and no wind to speak of. Water temp was a steady 73. Now dorado like it around 78 plus, but we were still way too far inshore and knew the warm current was many miles yet offshore, so we were not too concerned about the cold water.

Our boat did not produce any yellowtail action at our first stop, but our buddy-boat, Mi Mujere, boated one about 18 lbs. We moved on down towards Pta. Teresa to some deep rock piles we had found a few years back and marked as waypoints..good bottomfish producers. These were 240-250ft piles around a 280ft basin.

We sent down 2 weighted live-bait rigs, plus a couple yo-yos. The iron produced a few nice pintos while the live bait was totally ignored. We put 4-5 nice fish in the cooler, but nothing big, just good eaters...gold spotted bass (pintos).

I had just unhooked one nice pinto into the fishbox and sent my blue-white iron back to the bottom ...and right away got a powerful hookup...and just as quickly it was off...damn. Then our skipper’s rod bent over and Gary Bendix was into something bigger than your everyday pinto...maybe a big cabrilla? The fish took a couple runs towards the rocks below but Gary stopped him before he got too near. A few minutes later he brought a nice broomtail grouper to the boat...we guess-timated it at about 30lbs. A nice fish.

-0 April 22nd - May 7th with Randy-Rog (11) (Custom).jpg - 42kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 03:26 AM
the iron...

..a good producer.

-0 April 22nd - May 7th with Randy-Rog (13) (Small).jpg - 34kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 03:30 AM
The end...

Now it was time to head out east and find that warmer water with some dorado...and maybe a marlin or two. We ran out about 15 miles but could find no warmer water, so we angled NNE for another 15 miles or so...but the temps never got above 73.5 degrees...too cold.

Well, it was worth a try, but we knew when to call it a day for the dorado...they just don’t live in cold water.

We headed back to Mulege, stopping to check out a couple nice bird boils in Mulege Bay. We tossed some iron to the boil and it produced a nice bonus catch of plate-sized snappers. We took 3 for lunch, having kept the broomtail grouper for our planned dinner Friday night and headed for the ramp.

No dorado...no marlin. Yet....and there is always tomorrow.

[Edited on 4-28-2007 by Pompano]

-0-.jpg - 38kB

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 05:30 AM

Thanks for the pictures and the report.:D
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 06:44 AM

Nice grouper!

Thanks for the report!

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:20 AM

Pompano, that is a really nice fish. I think it is a Sawtail Grouper, Garropa Aserrata and not a Broomtail. Check out the pictures on Mike's website to see several examples of the same fish http://www.islasanmarcos.com
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Now it was time to head out east and find that warmer water with some dorado...and maybe a marlin or two. We ran out about 15 miles but could find no warmer water, so we angled NNE for another 15 miles or so...but the temps never got above 73.5 degrees...too cold.

Well, it was worth a try, but we knew when to call it a day for the dorado...they just don’t live in cold water.

We headed back to Mulege, stopping to check out a couple nice bird boils in Mulege Bay. We tossed some iron to the boil and it produced a nice bonus catch of plate-sized snappers. We took 3 for lunch, having kept the broomtail grouper for our planned dinner Friday night and headed for the ramp.

No dorado...no marlin. Yet....and there is always tomorrow.

Pompano , I'm trying to remeber what the Mexicans call those snappers. Not moharra , not huachinango , ???

Do you or anyone else know?

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 09:18 AM

You are killing me with these reports!!!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
You are killing me with these reports!!!!

DITTO !!!

I'm glad someone is having fun !
Boy, I can't wait to grow up and retire !! :lol:

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

I know this is true in the Cortez. However, in the San Diego area, Dorado are often found and caught in water colder than that. I have caught them in 70 degree water - water above 72 is pretty rare up here.

I have a theory that ties water conditions to temperature that MAY explain some of this. Dorado are sight hunters. They need clear water to be able to see well enough to hunt, and they need to eat a lot due to their growth rate and level of activity.

Water in the Cortez rarely gets as blue (if ever) as offshore in the Pacific, and when it does get close, water temps are pretty high. This may be due to algal growth, plankton, etc. In other words, blue, clear water is typically low in nutrients and THIS is what I believe the real key to the Dorado is - water temp is related but a secondary phenomenon.

Opinions?
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 10:06 AM
Fish...

Quote:
Quote:

Pompano , I'm trying to remeber what the Mexicans call those snappers. Not moharra , not huachinango , ???

Do you or anyone else know?

Snapper in Baja??? In BCS they call the (Dog-Tooth) Snappers "Pargo" unless I'm wrong... Cameron
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 10:17 AM

RE: water temp and clarity

I think you are right, Roberto. Terrafin SST has Chlorophyll pics too. The corelation between temp and clarity and chlorophyll (algae) is close. And it does explain the cooler water temps in the Pacific that still hold dorado.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 10:25 AM

No Dorado yet in Mulege area, but two friends did catch a big Marlin four days ago. Since their policy is catch and release, they fought the fish until it finally got within about 30 feet of the boat and it released itself by sawing through the line.

I told them, ¨No camera, no picture....must be BS.¨ That´s just me trying to pee them off, good naturedly of course. :P I do believe them. Dorado can´t be too far behind.

I went out yesterday trolling for Yellowtail and got skunked.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.