Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Fishing Primer 2--Let's Talk Tuna
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 02:20 PM

Baja Bruno...

This was my reply from a past topic about dolphin behavior.

Regarding Dolphins and Tunas…

I’ve seen the schools of Dolphins and Yellowfin Tuna swimming and working together on several occasions, and it’s an amazing site to see them working together and leaping out of the water.

The most amazing sighting of this was on our first trip out of the East Cape. My son and I were fishing on a Panga and had already had a great day of fishing - smaller Yellowfins, Dorados, Wahoo and Sailfish - when the skipper got a radio call that the BIG school of Yellowfin (and Dolphins) had been found a few miles away. We raced out there at full throttle and as we reached the area, saw an amazing site…

Every direction you looked for hundreds of yards, there were hundreds and hundreds of Dolphins and giant Yellowfin Tuna speeding along and leaping out of the water. And of course, our boat was immediately surrounded by lots of Dolphins racing along with us and crisscrossing our bow.

Our skipper positioned us in the front of the school and we tossed out live baits, which were instantly inhaled by large Yellowfins. Unfortunately, we were some what out gunned, as we only had brought our medium weight rods and reels with us that day. My son (age 12) fought and lost a couple of big ones, and I lost 1 and successfully landed an 88 pounder.

On subsequent trips, we've never been able to experience a day - or trip, where we had as much fun, or as good of a day of fishing, as that one. It’s never been equaled for seeing the beauty and power of nature, or for the quantity and mixture of fish caught.

Amo Pescar :spingrin: :O :biggrin:
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 02:40 PM

KEEPING YOUR CATCH COLD AND FRESH???

Does anyone remember whether there was a thread about this posted on this board? OR...was it posted on the old Amigo's board??

It was a very informative posting about keeping your catch cold in your cooler using a mixture of seawater and ice. The saltwater's salinity level really helps to lower the water temperature in the cooler, thus keeping your catch much fresher.

I tried to search for it, but no luck. If anyone knows about it or participated in it, maybe you could repost it here. If not, it would be a great subject to start a thread on.

Amo Pescar :) :?: :D
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 03:02 PM

Hook........ I use the natural cedar plug with the regular lead head. My experience using painted plugs is that after 4 or 5 tuna the paint is all chipped off anyway. Even when brand new I have not found that painted plugs get hit more than old chewed up ones. The biggest problem I have with cedar plugs is in the balance. If not balanced properly or if the hook is slightly bent they will rotate passing through the water and it does not take long to badly twist your line even using the best of swivels.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 08:10 PM

If you have active Short Beaked Common Dolphin, Delphinus Delphis, in the area and they are actively feeding, there may be tuna ahead of them. The real mark of fish is Spinner Dolphin but these are not seen very often in the baja waters.
When trolling for tuna, I like to use four lines in my spread. On the outside I drop further back from the boat and put a Marauder or Yo-zuri Magnum on one line while the other line gets a Sumo Budda 4". The two inside lines are clipped to downrigger clips mounted to my gunnel cleats and are fished shorter. The first one here usually gets a cedar plug while the other gets a Zuker Tuna Feather while the other one normally gets a Sumo Trolling Jet 4" - 6".
If there is any cloud cover or it is early morning with less light, I lean toward the darker colors like black, red, or purple. As the light increases I go to brighter colors like dorado, blue and white, etc.
If the water is flat and clear, I usually go a little faster to cover the water area, but if there is chop then I slow down a little, make sure that I still have good smoke trail on the appropriate lures, and generally put down something like a 111MR Mirrolure which makes some noise on the deeper line.
Last year we got into a tuna feed that was nothing short of amazing and they were feeding on small candlefish so our usual spread was a total bust and when we put out lighter lines with small castmasters, we had a limit with only two passes. So stay flexible.
If you are mad at the fish and want to get even, go ahead and clean them like Minnow but I prefer to lay them peacefully in the brine solution after a short whap on the head so that they don't bruise themselves.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 08:44 PM

Jimbo, let us in on your secret for running lipped plugs with feathers. I like to troll at 8-12 knots and I just cant do both.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Jimbo, let us in on your secret for running lipped plugs with feathers. I like to troll at 8-12 knots and I just cant do both.

Since Fred Archer's name has come up in this thread (BTW, I think he actually RAN Shimano Product Development for a while), have you read any of his "high-speed trolling" stuff? Makes for interesting reading.

The man is one of a kind, that's for sure, and very creative when it comes to fishing techniques. He also has more water time that I will ever have.

[Edited on 5-18-2007 by Roberto]
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 09:06 PM

...anyone tried to skin and filet the tuna as you catch them..??? I have done this many times, and the quality is great. I skin, and then cut the 'good' part away from the red meat...4 pieces. Those I put into gallon size Zip Lock bags, and, then onto ice that I have brought along for that purpose. The meat cools down quickly, and it's excellent for sashimi or a tekamaki roll. If it's allowed to stay warm, the meat takes on a pepper taste, and then it's no bueno to eat...can't remember the name of the poisoning you can get, but getting it cool as soon as you can is the key...
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 09:08 PM

...ooops...I just remembered...the poisoning you can get is called "scombroid poisoning"...
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 09:17 PM

Filleting as you catch - good idea, but what do you do in the middle of a wide open bite? After working to get the fish to come to the boat and feed, it's pretty hard (for me) to let them go away.

A technique that works really well is to kill and bleed the fish quickly (no, you can't get it all). There is a way to cut the fish and pull the intestines out through the mouth, and then fill the cavity with ice. Keeping the temp of the meat down is the key. Not doing it not only ruins the taste, but can cause scombroid poisoning, and that will only happen if the temperature of the meat is allowed to rise. Making a saltwater brine in the fishbox is a must. Albacore actually turns to inedible mush when that happens.

Once of the pleasures of fishing is eating the catch, and that means quality, not quantity. Those who have not eaten fresh-caught, properly treated and prepared fish so not know the difference between dogfood and fish. And tuna pretty quickly turns to dogfood.

Just my two cents.

My personal point of view:

1. take only what you can eat.
2. preserve it to the highest standards.
3. never fish overlimit.

When I have what I can eat, I stop fishing. Period. No catch-and-release for me. I release undersize fish before I have waht I came to get, but that's it.

Just my two cents.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

1. take only what you can eat.
2. preserve it to the highest standards.
3. never fish overlimit.

I couldn't agree more. I guess it has come to light that many fishermen don't eat fish. or at least have a love for the taste of fish. To each his own I guess, but for me that is the greatest part about it. Knowing where you food is coming from, and harvesting it yourself. To not eat what you catch, and we all know not all caught fish can be released healthy enough to survive, means you are little better than the guys out there with the nets. Either fishing for your own macho reasons, or for somebody elses dinner table. Why would you care that the fish was preserved to the highest quality. Hell, you wouldn't even know what the difference was. One only needs to take a walk through the Ensenada fish market and see all of those rotting fish to realize that.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 06:24 AM

Gosh I just love this board. Every post takes on a life of it's own. You never know where the simplist question is going to go. It's addictive. I guess I now understand the popularity of soap operas. You have to keep tuning in to see where the characters will take you so I'll just go with the flow.

I bleed my tuna as well. As quick as I can I cut through the gills. (Yes, even during a hot bite. It doesn't take long). Then as soon as time allows I quarter my fish as described by aquaholic and get them into a brine solution.

Is this sashimi grade? Don't know, don't care. I'm not a fan of bait on a plate but it sure makes a difference on the Bar-B-Q

[Edited on 5-18-2007 by Alan]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I use the Yo-Zuri Hydro Mag which is designed to go up to 25 knots, I believe, and have never had a problem with it pulling crooked. Occasionaly, I will have to true up the plug if I have a problem with it. I usually use a 6 ft stick with a 15KG Penn lever drag two speed and 50 lb line. It runs pretty deep and sometimes that is what goes off first. I have hit marilin and sails on this thing too but I prefer to watch the strike on the top.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 12:30 PM

thanks, jim. I figured it was either that or some kind of Braid plug.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 05:39 PM

Pompano...
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/images/lures/Yozuri/yozurihydrom...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.