Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto fishing tourny
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 03:29 PM
Loreto fishing tourny

I just left the marina after watching most of the weigh in for todays tourny. The leading dorado was 43.4 pounds with many in the low 30s after that. There were also tuna, marlin and skipjack caught. Lotsa beer and free fish tacos made for a fun weigh in. I wasn't able to fish this one, but most of the skippers I talked to had been out 35 to 40 miles. Not close yet, but there on the way. Now if only the long liners don't get them....

[Edited on 5-20-2007 by backninedan]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 03:47 PM

Dan; Seems to me I remmber some one saying that "That OverFishing had Ruined the Sea of Cortez?

Wonder what Happened? Was that right after the famous "Sacrament Bee Newspaper printed that often Quoted Article ?
My memory is fading somewhat, but I think that I posted that the First Dorado would be caught on April 20th and that it would be a great Season.
Nine--are the Squid Boats in this year???

Skee/Loreto
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 03:50 PM

Anybody ever heard of the term "site pest"?:tumble:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 06:01 PM

Skeet, I havent said fishing is ruined in the sea of cortez, but this new long liner bill may do just that. Dorado have been caught for the last few weeks and the season looks like it may be a good one, that is if the long liners dont wipe it out.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 06:30 PM

I participated in the tourney. I fished with "Team Arce," Jose Luis Arce, on Capt. Rigoberto Davis' panga Arantxa. We went out past Punta Lobos, a total of 40 miles from Loreto. I caught one skipjack, and Jose Luis caught his first marlin ever, and one dorado that weighed in at 29.8 lbs. That was good for 3rd place and 15,000 pesos!

55 boats participated in the offshore category; one dorado broke 40 lbs, and only one other was over 30.

At the awards ceremony, in front of the Mayor and a representative of the Governor, the tournamnet organizer mentioned the new Shark Norma rules, calling them, I quote, "Bullsh!t." This is a serious issue, and it cannot, by any rational person, be explained as foreigners mouthing off. The people of Baja Sur are very unhappy, tens of thousands of letters and emails sent, demonstrations in Los Cabos. Loreto's mayor has put it on the agenda for a response from the city, and the local hotel association is planning a response as well.

There will be another Governor's Cup tourney in Loreto in June, date to be announced. First prize in the open categoy will be 50,000 pesos, and first place prize for a Mexican citizen will be a 22' panga and outboard motor!

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 06:33 PM

I fished the Loreto tournament today. It was my second Governor's Cup torneo and it was as much fun as the first. Admission is free and there are different classes and targeted species for those who fish from the shore and those who fish from boats. The shore class is dived into 3 different age groups. I think there were 25 prizes awarded to winners in the various classes. There is also a drawing at which participants win prizes donated by various sponsors. Just about everybody, in particular all of the kids, leaves the torneo with some prize , large or small. One of the rules of the tournament (the rules are very flexible and in flux until the starting gun) is that all fish submitted to be weighed in are donated to the event. Volunteers are on hand to clean the fish and cook them. The fillets, tacos, soup, etc. are then provided free to all comers until it runs out. At Puerto Lopes Mateos last year, which is a smaller town than Loreto, the feast lasted for days. These are truly feel good events at which everybody wins. In you have a chance to participate in one you should do it.
My only dorado today, by the way, a modest 17 pounder was way out of the prize money. I did pick up three small 8 - 10 lb. yellowfin, my first of the year.

torneo 005 (Small).jpg - 41kB
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 07:41 PM

I'm gald you enjoyed the tourney...next one is in Turtle bay the first weekend in June and Juan (The Arce Team) and his compaņeros will be trying hard to win that panga and motor...it will be a blast with great food, a dance and festive weekend. Any of you coming???

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Dan; Seems to me I remmber some one saying that "That OverFishing had Ruined the Sea of Cortez?

Wonder what Happened? Was that right after the famous "Sacrament Bee Newspaper printed that often Quoted Article ?

Skee/Loreto

I'll tell you what happened. I started up my new Religion, took a few fish down there and made them multiply. Feel free as new believers to U2U me your financial information so I can disseminate my holy powers globally.
I will be necessary to spend most of the initial donations on a really b-tchin' boat, er, pardon me, chapel to guide you all forward.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:17 AM
Gotta love it

This was a feel good story from the gitgo. Beginning from the rumors, to the sign up, to the last pacifico, this fishing community was excited. The organizers made everyone feel welcome, and did a spectacular job. It truely was a hoot.
Marilyn and I hung back to enjoy the start, hope the photo posts. Alas, are best fish was just under 20#, but we had no expectations, but one never knows where that big bull is lurking. There was plenty of action out there, marlin, sailfish, dorado. This is our favorite month, mucho divertivo.

reducedtorneostart.JPG - 48kB
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 07:58 AM

Great News and Great Photos.!!

Good Luck to all and thanks for all the good Reports.
The Sea is Alive and Well>
Skeet/Loreto
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 08:00 AM

Bob y Jane,

That is a cool photo.

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 08:33 AM

I took a few pics...

Jose Luis fights his first marlin

Here it is, before the release

And he gets an award for his third place dorado

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.