Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ch.1 VHF does not transmit
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 05:00 PM
Ch.1 VHF does not transmit

The La Paz fishing dudes use VHF Chan. 1 to communicate. My radio doesn´t transmit on Chan. 1. If I switch to International, then it will transmit, but I can´t hear anyone.

What´s going on here?:?:

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 06:10 PM

In US marine channels 1 thru 5 are simplex (receive and transmit o same frequency) International channels 1 thru 5 are duplex (receive on one frequency and transmit on another)

If they are transmitting on US mode, you won't hear half the conversation if your set is set on International.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 11:17 AM

According to my radio´s guide, transmitting is not allowed on US Channels 1 through 5, though it is in International mode. It is not simplex--it is barred from happening. Has that changed in the years since mine was made?

My question, I suppose has expanded. Can the new radios (mine is about 5 years old) transmit on US Channel 1?

If not, what are the pangeros doing to be able to transmit on US Chan. 1?

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 03:37 PM

Are you hearing both sides of their conversations?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
According to my radio´s guide, transmitting is not allowed on US Channels 1 through 5, though it is in International mode. It is not simplex--it is barred from happening. Has that changed in the years since mine was made?

There are rules and restrictions to the use of those channels: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm . That SHOULDN'T mean that the radio is not able to transmit - just that you will be fined for inappropriate use.

As bajalou said the international channels are allocated differently, the US channel being designated 1Alpha. http://www.durhamradio.com/vhf-marine-frequencies.htm, Sounds like the pangueros as using simplex and you are transmitting duplex - can't get there from here, though it's the receiving freq that's different. In other words, they should be able to hear you, but you can't hear them.

[Edited on 6-14-2007 by Roberto]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.