ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 03:33 PM

Thank you David for the picture. Yep That's Rolly alright. :lol:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 03:46 PM

Jeez! Take your pic! There are umpteen dozen places to get a good meal anywhere and everywhere you go in Baja. :D What's the big deal about this Mamma What's Her Names Place?:lol:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 04:02 PM

There are reasons to go to Mama's restaurant.

Nostalgia for the old days, and ambiance from the racing pictures and decals. For this atmosphere you will overpay for mediocre food and poor service. :(

Sad, but that has been my experience. If you must, poke your head in the door, maybe buy a tee-shirt, get back in your car and stop at the bus for a $2.50 torta! :yes:

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 04:25 PM

You know Ken, after what (a local business owner, who will remain unnamed) said he saw at the 'bus', Elizabeth and I never went there!:wow:

I highly recommend you try Hugo's Tacos La Mision for tortas, burritos, stuffed baked patatoes, etc. :D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 12:17 PM

Yah, I've heard plenty of rumors about our own local eateries. Do I believe them? No. I've also read completely untrue statments posted on review sites indicating terrible food, terrible service, terrible atmosphere.
Those type of comments(not rare) can and are generated by miserable folks looking to damage your reputation, nothing more.
Hey some people think Applebees is a great place to eat.:lol:

Tis a shame subjective criticsm runs rampant on the internet. Who is one to believe? You, me, or the other some guy you never met?

YOU GO MAMA!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 01:26 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

I will be at Mamas tomorrow, getting lobster and eggs,
I am getting a loan today to pay for it, but, for me, its my ole baja.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 03:16 PM

we had breakfast at mamas yesterday morning...
omlets

everything was GREAT!!!

food was HOT came out fast!!!

price was right

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 03:51 PM

For the past 5 years I've stopped at Mama's on both the way down and back on our annual fishing/camping trip to BOLA or Concepcion Bay. My buddy who i travel with has been stopping there from the 70s thus introduced me to the place still raves about the food quality. I plan our departures so we can eat there for either breakfast or lunch. The lobster burritos are to die for. I lobster hoopnet weekly here in San Diego and have a freezer of limits. The lobster burritos I've been served have always been cook to perfection where the meat is sweet, tender & succulent with a wonderful garlic butter sauce. In fact even before reading this thread, I'm cooking up some lobster for dinner tonite that I caught wednesday nite again trying to copy Mama's recipe on how i remember her lobster burritos taste. Other members of our party have had most items on the menu from the soups to the breakfast items but never dinner. I've only had a few other items since I have only eaten there 10 times but those breakfast eggs items have been very good. Either I've been very lucky, you guy's tastebuds are far more critical than mine or a little of both. Also have bought a couple of blankets there that I wrap around me to this day as I watch tv from my recliner on a cold nite.

Nice story about Mama and her generosity to the poor. If we go down this year, will bring a case or two of Ensure for Mama. However, we are planning on La Salinas this year where I can drive my boat down via water from SD and moor it at the marina. Want the border lawlessness to subside a bit before I take my expensive toys south by road.

Halibut Howie

[Edited on 12-21-2007 by howat]

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 08:37 AM
Bajabird - Baja Express

On Thursday, December 20, 2007, I put out a request in this thread asking if anyone was going past Mama Espinoza’s place in the near future so I could give them four cases of Ensure to take to Mama Espinoza. On Friday December 21, 2007, Bajabird (Tom) e-mailed me the following:

“I will be at Mama Espinoza’s tomorrow…Anything that you want there will be there. I am the Baja Express! Tom.”

Tom then e-mailed me his cell phone number and we briefly spoke on the phone. He told me he was heading down to Loreto and would be happy to take the cargo to Mama. Tom said he was leaving Los Angeles at 4:00 AM on the 22nd and suggested we meet off the 405 Freeway in Costa Mesa at the Corner Bakery on the South Coast Plaza Parking lot. I got up this morning December 22, 2007 at 3:30 AM and drove the hour drive to the meeting place. Tom and his Lady, Debby, arrived about 5 AM and we loaded the cargo for the trip to Mama Espinoza.

Tom also took a sleeping bag to Mama’s place for cousin Salvador, who lives at Rancho El Metate (Rancho San Juan De Dios). Salvador’s bedroll flew out of the pickup truck the day I left on the 18th and could not find it once he realized it was gone. I gave him my blanket at Mama’s and told him I would try to get him a sleeping bag as fast as possible so he would not freeze out there.

After Tom and I loaded the cargo I hugged him and thanked him for his generosity. Tom and Debby were off in a flash. I could tell they had the Baja fever and were chomping at the bit to get there.

Tom and Debby THANK YOU so very much for helping me get the cargo to Mama and Salvador. You have my name, my telephone numbers and address. If there is anything I can do for you guys and if within my power to do whatever you ask I will do it. Just know you guys now have a new friend in me.

I also wish to thank Doug Means for making this site possible and for all the generous people it contains. For all of you nice people who had nice comments about my posting above and others I have posted in this forum I thank you very much. Please, if you can, remember when you pass by Mama Espinoza’s place please take her some uncooked rice and beans so she can replenish her meager supplies which will help her in giving to the poor people of El Rosario and the surrounding area. The money she makes from her knitted slippers only goes so far. Again, THANK YOU!
Also a thank you to howat for his generous offer to take some Ensure to Mama when he can do so and to the rest who said nice things about Mama Espinoza.

David *******

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.