BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going fishing tomorrow: La Paz Report?
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 09:56 AM
Going fishing tomorrow: La Paz Report?

Anyone have a report on where the fish are this week in the La Paz locale?

There's an extra seat on the boat if any nomad would like to come along.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 10:58 AM

How long are you going to be in town? Air fares are pretty good right now on Alaska so I've been thinking about shooting down for a 4 day or so but that's not enough time to hassle getting my boat out of storage and finding someone to tow me to a launch ramp. I know what it costs to run a boat so I'm more than happy to kick in generously for beer bait and FUEL.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 11:00 AM

This was last Monday and doesn't get updated until tomorrow http://www.mexfish.com/mfn/mfn2007/mfn070820/mfn070820.htm
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 11:30 AM
Fishing La Paz

Thanks Alan, I read MexFish every Monday, but the big boys have been concentrating on fishing out of the Punta Arena area and I just can't launch and retrieve there by myself, so I look for the best I can do out of La Paz.

I should be here until January, with the occasional side trip to Mex City. I'd be happy to have you along. Here's a photo of my little boat. 20' Bayrunner. It is very economical to run.

BoatAlixReduced.jpg - 43kB

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:56 AM

Bruno,

What is the problem with the launch ramp at Punta Arena? With fisihing in Loreto deep in the summer doldrums I have been thinking about a trip south, either on the water or towing my boat down. What is the anchorage like near the ramp at the Bay of the Dead, or, if I towed my boat down what would be the problem with launching a 21' glass CC alone?

Bill Erhardt

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by bill erhardt]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 05:17 PM

Bill
There ramp looked great when I checked it out last January. I believe his only concern there was launching single-handed. Because there's not dock, he'd have to launch then swim in and out to park and retrieve his truck.

I think the anchorage would have pretty good holding as it looks like a good sand bottom. It was well protected (in January) when the windsurfers and kite boarders were ripping it up around the corner in La Ventana.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 06:36 PM

Bill: Alan is correct, it is a very nice ramp. Your boat would have no trouble. There are mooring bouys in the cove, but I don't know how you arrange for them. As Alan says, the bottom looks good for holding, although the winds tend to vary a great deal during the day and there is a slight surge.

My complaint, as Alan wrote, is that there is no dock and because of the wave action, I can't land on the beach. I tried anchoring in just a few feet of water so I could wade in, but the wind shifted before I could get the trailer int he water and put the boat on the beach. It took me and three very kind beach campers to float it again. I'm not looking forward to that again.

The SST here are not terrible--I went straight east 40 miles today and peaked out at 84 degrees, but the chlorophyll studies (http://www.tempbreak.com/) are the pits. I found bright green water (this is out of La Paz) well past Espiritu Santos and then dark green all the way to Cerallvo. I got good, clear blue water east of Cerallvo, but no activity at all.

I talked with some guys who chartered two small cruisers while we were waiting for bait (they were having a very hard time making bait and waited an hour) and they said that yesterday the captain found some football tuna, but no dorado. They heard of a marlin and a sailfish caught, but couldn't confirm that.

I was out all day trolling and couldn't muster anything bigger than a needlefish. No bird, no hits, no sightings, no other boats, no radio traffic, no weed beds. I did find a very good looking current line with debris that stretched for almost a mile. I worked the whole thing with live bait, chumming more live bait, and never saw a fish.

Of course, that's just me. Others may have done better.

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:42 PM

Bruno/Alan,

It sounds like maybe the better action is south of Cerralvo or east to the 88 spot. The ramp/anchorage at Punta Arena is intriguing. It makes essentially the whole East Cape accessible. I did the swimming in and out drill for a while at El Cardonal and it does get old real quick. Fishing has been deadly slow in Loreto most of the summer. I was planning an overnighter to Isla San Jose and Las Animas tomorrow and Wednesday, but have decided to try Thetis instead. It is early for over there, but there is a good weather forecast and there have been some third and fourth hand reports of fish. Sometime I do want to make the run down to Punta Arena, though. It is about 150 NM from Loreto. A four day trip would allow a couple of hours of fishing at El Bajo, etc. down and back and two full days on the East Cape. Those blue marlin, wahoo and big yellowfin sure sound good.
Are you in La Paz full time now, Alan?
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:40 PM

Bill, I'd love to try Thetis. Where do you launch and where do you stay? It looks like a long, lumpy ride from anywhere.

I was planning on an Isla San Jose overnighter this week as well, but when I went through the stuff I packed, I realized that although I brought my air mattress, I forgot the bellows foot pump. I'm not sleeping on the deck without something soft under me. I'll look around town for some foam or something.

Let us know how things went at Thetis.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:16 PM

By Punta Arena are you meaning Los Muertos ?
If not, Los Muertos has a good ramp for your boat and is closest to the south end of Ceralvo.
It is about 1 hour drive south from La Paz.
Maybe take Comitan with you; he knows the area.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:36 PM

Bill,
Not down there full time yet, still working and though I'll probably get flamed for saying so, right now I'm enjoying myself so much I may stay a couple more years. Of course it is nice to be in the position that all it takes two bad days in a row.:lol:

I am ready to jump on a plane for a few days at the drop of a hat so be sure you give me a heads up if you decide to come down. I know you do a lot of single handing but that is a long run if your by yourself. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer to trailer? I've got an extra bedroom at my place if you want.

It seems like it has been a strange year. I was last down there at the end of June when typically one would expect everything to start coming together. Not! We had to struggle every day just for a couple of dink dorados so we could have dinner. When we first got there we were releasing the little 15#ers until we realized that was all we were going to get.

Lately it seems to be a matter of just being in the right place at the right time. The south end and the 88 had been going off then a couple of days later it was a strong wahoo bite on the north end of Cerralvo and outside Espiritu Santo for marlin and dodos while it was the dead sea at the 88.

I'm probably responsible for the weird season. I'm storing my boat down there this year. Sometimes it seems if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. When I finally bought a diesel, the price of diesel suddenly exceeded premium gas. Sorry everyone, my bad.

Chris,
Have you checked City Club? They may have one of those battery jump packs. They usually come with a little air compressor and the jump pack is always a good thing to carry on the boat.

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by Alan]
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:38 PM

Alan,
It is a long way, but there are a lot of good fishing spots along the way. I crossed from Loreto to San Carlos, Sonora this spring in good weather, got in 4 hours fishing along the way and was into the marina around 4:00. For a number of years I trailered into El Cardonal, set a mooring and fished a couple of months a year. From my room at El Cardonal I could see my boat bobbing on its mooring and also to the north after nightfall the lights of the Giggling Marlin as they were building it. I've been by the GM beach countless times by water but never by land. I've been as far south as El Bajo a couple of times from Loreto and the Bay of the Dead is just a skip on down. Thanks for the offer of a room. I will let you know when I am coming down and maybe we can hook up down there whether I go into La paz or not.
Bruno...... I launch through the mangroves at Puerto Lopez Mateos and enter the Pacific through Boca de Soledad. Thetis is 31 NM from the Boca. I stay at a motel on the edge of town nearest the whale dock / cannery. I don't know the name of it, but often as not I am the only one there.
There are a number of good anchorages at the NE end of Isla San Jose and I understand to the south as well. Coming from Loreto the NE end is good for early morning access to Las Animas or a run on down to El Bajo.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.