BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Grande II to include La Turquesa???
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

puzzled.gif posted on 9-29-2007 at 07:32 PM
Baja Grande II to include La Turquesa???

Today, I spoke with Brad Green, and after the misfortune he encountered on Baja Grande I with the damage done to his long arm suspension bushings and the cost of installing new bushings, he believes he will "opt out" of Baja Grande II. This means, we will not have a trip to Animas Bay like we did last year with our good friend.

Baja Grande dilemma: Do we spend 2 days in L.A. Bay with nothing to do? Or, do we do what comes natural? Building roads and beating on our Jeeps???

The answer should not be a surprise to the folks with Birfield joints!!

I am going to hold an "emergency" meeting with my other assistant trail boss and I will get back to everyone on the Baja Nomad board as soon as we come to a consensus. You guys have helped me pull a pickup out of Sierra San Pedro Martir, and you gave me some good advice when my buddy passed away & when I got a divorce 6 months ago. So, the least I can do is help you throw a few rocks so Roys English "shopping cart" can get from Hwy 1 to Coco's for a cold beer.

Check back to this thread (or better yet, subscribe to it), and I will fill you in on what our plan for Baja Grande II will include (or not include)...

-Ken

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 10:24 AM

If your group decides to clear some rocks that will be great. Please keep in mind that after clearing the rocks from the wash there is still the road up and over the mountain. To my knowledge no one has done that in a 4 wheeler yet only a MC. David K walked down a bit but not all the way on his trip report. But with your group it will be a lot safer than being a lone.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 11:01 AM

Squarecircle came after we were there and did walk all the way to the bottom... It is from the bottom to the turquoise mine that is the problem... Flash floods have washed away the road and moved boulders... Squarecircle and two other rigs went back from the mine (east) end and tried to get through to the bottom of the grade (1-2 miles)... It is reported here on Nomad... They didn't get far and need to find a new route... It was too hot and they went back to Gonzaga Bay...

[Edited on 12-22-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 09:39 PM

Today, I spoke with Roy and we talked :30min. about the whole ordeal that lies before us. It appears that the route includes some boulders which have "closed" the passageway. In order to continue through to Hwy 1 from the La Turquesa mine, a new route needs to be scouted, tracked, and then driven. My group as of today is either 13 or 15 - with a cap resting at 20 vehicles total.

The offer:

My offer to the 4WD Nomads: If you guys can provide a "team" of people (2 to 3 only) who have traveled the La Turquesa Mine and who know the route (backwards and forwards), we will dedicate 1 full day towards the rebuilding of this 4WD route. That's roughly 10 men (and maybe some women) who will work hard in the sun all day long.

What I do not want is to scout the trail, find the difficult stretch of trail, and watch the sun fall down behind the rocks in Catavina. I want us to get up early, haul out, get up the hill, work with our shovels and work gloves, and get back down the mountain by 18:00 hrs.

Roy?? David K?? TW?? Are we game??? :?:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 09:47 PM

Let me get this straight..............your hard core 4wd club is passing on the road to Animas and you want to tackle La Turquesa instead because of potential vehicle damage? :?::?::?::?::?:

I must be missing something here...........

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by Hook]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Let me get this straight..............your hard core 4wd club is passing on the road to Animas and you want to tackle La Turquesa instead because of potential vehicle damage? :?::?::?::?::?:

I must be missing something here...........

We will be rebuilding a route that was damaged by rainfall and the elements. A hardcore route that will cause some serious damage to the softcore SUVs. Jeep clubs do work on weekends year-round. There is nothing strange about this. Plus, we will be working to keep a route open - something the Jeep Clubs strive for on a continual basis. As for Animas, it was done already, and we were looking for a real challenge. Dirt roads are fun, but rocks are on whole different level.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:48 AM

Ken, I think Roy is THE MAN since he was there, in the rocks west of the mine.

I may have inspired this with my posting photos of the grade down ( http://vivabaja.com/207 ) when Baja Angel and I went to look at the famous XR Ride in Kacey Smith's Baja GPS Book... (she gets credit for inspiring me to see it), but it is The squarecircle who went all the way down the grade then returned later with a crew to find a route from the turquoise mine side.

I haven't been to the mine since 1975 ( http://vivabaja.com/wayno/page2.html ) and to the green pools near the mine since 2002 ( http://vivabaja.com/1102/page2.html )

Have fun and be careful...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
The answer should not be a surprise to the folks with Birfield joints!!

You got sumptin' against us Birfield Boys? :spingrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken CookeSo, the least I can do is help you throw a few rocks so Roys English "shopping cart" can get from Hwy 1 to Coco's for a cold beer.

English shopping cart. Too funny.

Keep us informed. I'd love to drive my Birfields down there, but ain't happening until March.

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 03:25 PM

I'm ready and I'm game. What day is this to take place. Where do we meet at Cocos? Is the Squarecircle coming. Shall I bring the Olde English 800 for fueling the workers, personally I prefer a Hurricane. Is David K gonna be there?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 05:20 PM

Tom, let's talk about it at the Off Road Expo... THIS weekend... Sunday?

[Edited on 10-3-2007 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 06:54 PM

On Saturday 11/17, the group is traveling from San Diego to San Felipe. On Sunday 11/18, the group is traveling from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay.

Monday, 11/19 will be our scheduled La Turquesa Mine Road Work Day!! Mark your calendars, because we'll plan to be there from sun up til sundown. Hopefully, we will be able to punch through to Hwy 1. So, we can drive Hwy 1 back to Laguna Chapala and then back up to Gonzaga Bay.

WHAT AN ADVENTURE!!! :o)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 07:17 PM
Baja Grande II television/radio commercial

Gas prices got you down, amigo? Tired of 'wheeling at the same place with the same old crew? Thanksgiving Week and you're all alone with nothing to do???

Baja Grande II is going to provide the "Kid in you" with the kind of adventure you've never dreamed was there! !

Gasoline Prices for October 2007:

Magna.............$ 6.71 pesos per liter
Premium..........$ 8.27 pesos per liter
Diesel..............$ 5.67 pesos per liter

These prices are in liters, since 1 gallon = 3.7854 liters.

Today (October 1st) 1 dollar = $ 10.80 pesos (+/-)

Using the previous information, this is what we have....

Magna.............$ 2.351 dollars per gallon
Premium..........$ 2.898 dollars per gallon
Diesel..............$ 1.987 dollars per gallon

Remember that in the Gas Stations within 20km along the border with the US, fuel prices are gradually matched with those of the States.

Additional Baja Madness:

Unfortunately, Brad & Rhoda Green of Moab Utah's Red Rock 4 Wheeler's will not be in attendance this year. The road from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay literally obliterated their polyurethane long arm bushings on their Cherokee, and the cost to repair his built XJ didn't exactly win Brad over. The icy, high elevation dirt roads in the Copper Canyon 1 month later probably left a bitter taste in his mouth, so Brad & Rhoda are not attending, nor are they leading the day trip to Animas Bay on November 20th.

Just beyond Coco's Corner lies a little-known road which ascends high into the hills, leading to an ancient Turquoise mine. "La Turquesa" as it is known to the locals is not a very challenging route, but once you get beyond the mine, things get ugly...real fast. Built rigs on 35s will have to think twice since the boulders get rather large due to rainfall and absoluetly no road building since the 1930s. The guys from www.bajanomad.com are in need of a crew that can handle some pry bars and don't mind taking their Jeeps up some difficult sections of trail. David K, The Square Circle, and TW are contemplating this year's Baja Grande II, and they will most likely bring out their Toyota's to play with our Jeeps.

**Will you want to run/play with the big dogs, or will you be at home on the leash??**

Adding the "La Turquesa" option to this year's Baja Grande event will allow participants to push the envelope of what they though Baja was all about. It's not just dirt roads and overland tours, but rocks, rocks, serious rocks...and camping too. After a day dodging rattlesnakes, cholla cactii, and pesky boulders, that mesquite-grilled burger never tasted so good. And with the unobstructed view of the Milky Way overhead, with bright stars piercing through your tent, you too will be glad that you chose this year's Baja Grande 4WD run. Because, if there was one 4WD trip to Baja that a person could take all year, they would choose Baja Grande...hand's down!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 07:24 AM

DK the Off-Road Expo is this coming weekend Oct 6 and 7th. We'll be there on Sunday. Want to meet at the checkers booth?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 10:25 AM

Sounds great TW... we'll be there!!

Ken, check your u2u...

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 11:31 AM

Sorry I'll miss you guys at the Expo this year. Looks like lots of great stuff being shown. I'm in NM till early Nov.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 12:48 PM
EXPO

David & TW - Neal (old as he is) and I are also meeting there on Sunday - I've got stuff I have to do early but we hope to be there before 11:00 - what time you guys think you'll get there?

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
David & TW - Neal (old as he is) and I are also meeting there on Sunday - I've got stuff I have to do early but we hope to be there before 11:00 - what time you guys think you'll get there?

John M

That will be great to see you and the aridologist there!!!

Before, we met TW and bajalou at noon at the Checkers' booth... Maybe 11:00 am this year???

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 09:36 PM

I know this sounds crazy, but I will be camping this weekend and Jeeping in the San Bernardino Natl. Forest. John Bull - Gold Mountain - Heartbreak Ridge, etc. So, I won't be at this year's Off Road Expo. Ay, que lastima...:no:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 02:01 PM

The Baja Grande event is likely to include upwards of 25 Jeeps this year. We will have a tricked out Ford Explorer, and a couple of built Toyota pickups as well. One might make the trek out from Boulder, Colorado if he can get the time off from work...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.