BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: changing travelers checks/banks (Loreto?)
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:42 PM
changing travelers checks/banks (Loreto?)

in my long standing quest to find a cost efficient way of obtaining pesos in Mexico other than using my debit cards...with charges up to 2% now plus of ATM fee (that was another thread, no need to try to deal with it here) or carrying large sums of cash to change...my AZ bank has suggested taking travelers checks.

years ago on the mainland I encountered some trouble getting travelers checks accepted. also they have fallen out of favor recently due to the wide spread presence of ATMs.

has anyone recent experience using tc's, not for purchases, but for bank change into pesos? more specifically if possible at our one and only bank in Loreto? thanks. Roberta

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:44 PM

addendum...my bank issues free travelers checks which is why I ask the question.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:53 PM

I stopped using them about 10 years ago. They became difficult to cash at banks (long lines, only at certain hours, still a fee) and businesses would not take them because then THEY would have to deal with all of the above.

ATMs for me.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 06:10 PM

thanks, a small sample for replies but confirm what I suspected. ATMs, now that the foreign funds fees are being imposed, are no longer inexpensive but sound like the best option, short of large amounts of cash.

anyone else with travelers checks experience?

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 06:13 PM

The reason I didnt answer is that I have no experience with this type of transaction in Loreto.
Just keep bumping it back up to the top until someone from there chimes in. I am sure you will get more answers.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:12 PM

thanks bajajudy

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:43 PM
American Express Travelers Cheques....

Roberta,

We take American Express Travelers Checks at BajaCactus.... in case you ever need to use this type of Checks while in Baja.

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:17 PM

Roberta - if there is an American Express Travel Office in Loreto they may do your transaction for nothing or for the lowest fee. Hope this helps. Lori
Julie
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 06:03 AM

Roberta,
We have used traveler's checks to avoid the atm fees and of course the atm's being down from time to time. Bancomer here in Loreto does have designated hours but that has never been a problem. We are at the hotel, if you are in town give me a call and I'll give you more info
Julie
Iguana Inn
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 07:15 AM

Hi there,

Yes you can exchange travelerīs chedks at Bancomer, Loreto. If you do not hold an account with Bancomer you will need your Passport and the limit is $1,000 in checks per transaction. Keep in mind the times that they can do dollars to peso transactions are limited and I THINK they are from 8am to 2pm mexico city time but this changes all the time. To avoid the long lines go between qunicenas and go on tues through thurs. As a known resident at least by the bank, i am required to deposit them into my dollar account and they take two weeks to clear. My business does accept them as well, we accept any reasonable form of payment actually :lol:

Pamayla

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.