Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicanized fishing in the southland
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 04:11 PM
Mexicanized fishing in the southland

The sierra just got here about 10 days ago and my buddy Mike from San Diego only has a couple more days here before he has to get on home so I watched the weather reports and planned to try our luck today.

At just after 5AM I put on the coffee, went to gather up my fishing stuff and could not lay my hands on my fishing license or boat permit. That sent me into an uneasy spin about our prospects. Mike showed up late, I got in my launch vehicle, 1979 Izusu Trooper, only to discover the battery was dead (several warning lights had showed up days ago and I was able to ignore them completely).

To Mike's amazement I dragged out an old handcart inverter, started the car, hooked up the boat, put the inverter in the back, pulled safely onto the wet sand at the beach, dropped the little 12 ft Gregor, parked the Trooper and shoved off to try our luck -- we would figure out how to get home later.

Luckily the day stayed fairly flat (except for the chop set up by 60 or more hotel cruisers dashing in and out of the bay to buy sardines from the bait boats). We got a few fish in the boat before Mike alerted me to the fact that we had sprung a small leak in the keel near the bow and were taking on some water. I threw him a rag and told him to put it over the leak, put his heal on it while I sponged up what we had taken on.

We stayed ahead of the leak, dodged the big wakes, stayed clear of 5 other competing boats near the shore and by 10 we were headed back in with our limit (5 each). The Trooper battery held the jump til we got the boat safely up and away from the wet stuff but the inverter died while we were putting the little boat on the trailer. Mike walked to my house (just a few hundred meters -- while I took a nice swim), got our neighbor to bring down his big Suburban to give us a jump and that got us safely back home, boat in the yard, fish still icy cold now on the cleaning table. I walked into the house, took off my watch, threw it in the little basket on the table and spotted my licenses in my handheld radio bag.

One of my gringa neighbors keeps her little house and yard spotless. Once she told me her Mexican neighbors had spruced up their places when they saw how nice a place could get. I told her she was nuts and a little too arrogant to suit me. We're still friends but I had to speak my mind. I think it's the other way around -- I'm becoming more Mexicanized every day and glad I can fight off little problems, work through them, have a little fun, some fresh fish to eat just like my Mexican neighbors do -- make what little they have work for them, not let small misfortunes ruin their day -- it's an attitude thing and I for one am glad to be changed by this place, by these people around me.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 04:27 PM

Isnt that called hacienda limonada de limones.
Great philosophy! I try to live that way too.

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:01 PM

I've got a ways to go still, it does help to see its possible to change:biggrin: So I know its all about the journey, but what did you catch?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:22 PM

Sorry, fiesty, tasty sierra.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:45 PM

Your journey is incomplete until you've switched to a chunk of wood, some 150lb. test, and a spark plug sinker.
Sounds like you're getting close though!

In related news, have always liked this bit by Kira:

http://www.mexfish.com/baja/baja/af020115/af020115.htm

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:46 PM

Hey George......
If you really want to be in charge of your reactions and be as calm and understanding as I am, try The Sedona Method. Google it. You'll like it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.