Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick Bahia de los Angeles report
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 12:59 PM
Quick Bahia de los Angeles report

Fished 3 days last week at the local islands (had to stay close as work was being done on my cabin).
First day caught 1 firecracker yellowtail on blue/white iron at the 90' reef south of Hoursehead. Fished some huge sardine balls on the rock wall just west of Punta Malo. Trolled that for an hour on light rigs for a gagillion bonita.
Second day fished the 185' reef between Horsehead and Punta Malo and caught 1 nicer yellowtail in the 12 to 15 pound range and so many bonita I just left. No bait on the wall.
Third day went north to the north tip of Smith and came upon a pod of finbacks feeding on a huge ball - maybe a half mile round. Cut the engine and just drifted for 30 minutes and enjoyed the show. Tied on a white Yozuri with a red head (ala Juan @ Asuncion) and in 5 minutes the rod went crazy. Thinking I had yet another bonita I casually lifted the rod and almost lost it when the fish made a powerful dive. Had a great fight and brought in a yellowtail in the low 20s. First time catching a yellowtail on the troll in 2 years. Had my first beer early that day.

The bonitas were pesty all 3 days - couldn't even catch many baracuda.

I was stopped by a boat with 3 men and 2 women who were taking a survey of what was caught. I offered to show my license and boat permit but they weren't interested. The driver was very stern and serious but everyone else seemed friendly - anyone know what that was all about?

Also spun a prop on my 115hp Merc for the first time but I have no idea why. My RPMs just started increasing from 5000 to 6500 and I pulled into a cove on Isla Ventanna and pulled the prop off. Couldn't get it back on or my spare so I fired the kicker and trolled back to camp. Wiser men than I immediatly diagnosed the problem and we had the spare on in 2 minutes. Know I can appear wise to some rookie when he spins his prop for the first time.;D
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 01:30 PM

Santiago-----

Being a small outboard kinda guy (15 hp), what does it mean when you say you "spun a prop"?

Do the bigger engines have a "key" between the prop and the shaft? and is that what you "spun" off?

------and if so, why would that prevent you from putting the spare prop on?

barry
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 01:53 PM

The prop is pressed onto the prop hub with "mucho" force and when you, either hit an obstruction or gun the prop too many times, it looses it grip between the hub and the prop housing and the prop starts to kind of freewheeling. At first, if you keep the RPM's down you can still travel at slow speed. However, each time you try to advance the throttle a little, the prop looses more grip on the hub and and the going will get slower until it will loose its grip completely and you're dead in the water. However, once you're familiar with the procedure, you can travel a long ways if you take care and avoid any kind of excessive pressure on the prop. Like keeping the RPM's at below 1500 and are very careful while advancing the throttle.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 01:58 PM

how was the water temp?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:00 PM

Ahhh haaaa-------thank you Vandenberg

So is the prop ruined when this happens (unlike a small outboard where you just replace the "key") ?

----and why is it difficult to replace the old prop with a new one?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:13 PM

And if its too bad and you have a couple of screws, screw them into the rubber for an emergency get home.

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:15 PM

Water temps about 72 degrees - whale sharks had been gone for a week.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:17 PM

Santiago,
If you are still online, tell us about the town in regards to prepping for the race to come through manana.
P.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Ahhh haaaa-------thank you Vandenberg

So is the prop ruined when this happens (unlike a small outboard where you just replace the "key") ?

----and why is it difficult to replace the old prop with a new one?

Can't answer your second question. But the prop repairshop will just force another hub into the prop and it'll be like new.
And Comitan's solution works great in an emergency and if done with care won't even ruin the prop.:P

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 05:12 PM

Paulina: I really didn't see any prep for the race unless the road grading is part of it. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at though, not ever seeinga race. I do know that everyone was disapointed in the timing of the race as most of the action would be after dark. I left Saturday about 11:00am and I will tell you, southbound traffic was nuts. Lots of dually Dodges pulling empty flatbeds.
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 06:39 AM

Thanks for the report. We are pulling the boat down Friday morning. :biggrin::biggrin: Hopefully the wind will cooporate with us. We might make one run to Burn a lot of gas. :spingrin: It usually produces this time of the year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.