Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: TW plays BUMPER CARS in Mexicali
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 09:12 PM

TW
Why not get rid of the rice burner and get a real offroad rig, a JEEP :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 06:55 PM

TW how many jeeps have you and I pulled out?
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 09:08 PM

Mick and TW
Bring your rice burners up to nothern California and I will take you on a couple of little trails in my back yard. One is the rubicon trail and the other is the four dice trail.:yes::yes::yes:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
Mick and TW
Bring your rice burners up to nothern California and I will take you on a couple of little trails in my back yard. One is the rubicon trail and the other is the four dice trail.:yes::yes::yes:

Steve & Debbie, I can personally vouch for Mick and TW that they are great guys, and although Mick rolls in a built Ford Ranger and TW...well, on a dirt bike at the moment, these guys' hearts are in the right place. TW even *paid for* a Baja Grande t-shirt with a picture of two Jeeps (gasp) on the front!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 08:34 AM

My daughter has a Jeep she says I can have. I don't remember the model. It looks like a CJ, I'm not familiar with Jeep models and probably 1980s year. I just haven't had time to go look at it. Her ex-husband gave it to her in lieu of child support and she lets the boys drive it around in the back field. I liked my Toyota because it wasn't real big and I could haul my Honda XR250 with me in Baja.
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 09:05 AM

TW, dump the rice burner and take the Jeep.My Jeep is a 1986 CJ 7 with a few modifcations, tune port injection 350,th700r automatic overdrive, full width dana 60 front wiyh detroit locker,full width dana 60 rear end locked,slight lift,38x15.50x15 swampers,just to mantion a few.If you get your daughters Jeep I have a dana 44 front and rear end with detroit lockers if your interested.I would post some pictures if I could figure out how? YOU KNOW ITS A JEEP THING.:lol::lol::yes::tumble::spingrin::
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 09:37 AM

Jeep is the grandfather of SUVs (well Willys-Overland is, but that became Jeep)... and for that I have great respect.

My parents began their Baja travels in 1965 in a Jeep Wagoneer... and at 17, I got my first new four wheeler, a '75.5 Jeep Cherokee Chief (401 V-8, Quadra Trac, nice).

In 2 years, the new Jeep had failure after failure due to poor quality parts and labor... (handles breaking, water pump failing, rear window motor breaking, auto tranny failing (GM unit), carburator failing, low range lever breaking... ENOUGH!!!

I will say that when it wasn't in the shop being repaired, it would go anywhere and the 4WD system was awesome... It would outclimb any other 4X4 and handled the sand south of San Felipe with ease.

Since the Jeep, I have owned 3 Subaru 4WD wagons (all were awesome... 130,000 miles in 3 years each), a Mitsubishi pickup, Mazda MPV van, Plymouth Grand Voyager van, and now on my second 4WD Tacoma.

Of all those vehicles (1975-today) only the American brand vehicles (Jeep & Plymouth) gave me unreasonable difficulties and failures costing thousands! The Japanese models gave me very little problems and no breakdowns.

The Toyota Tacomas have been the most trouble free of them all... and they have been driven the hardest, too...

So, even though I love Jeeps and do hope they have improved in quality since the AMC days, there is no arguing that the Toyota Tacoma is by far the most well built, capable Baja truck/ SUV I have ever experienced.

My 2005 Tacoma now has 72,000 miles on it and I have had it for 2 1/2 years now. I have had no breakdowns or paid for any repairs... I recently modified the rear suspension by upgrading the Bilstein shocks and adding adjustable air bags to stiffin the back end which did bottom out with a load. I also had a front break noise at 8,000 miles which did go away with the first break pad replacement.

Here is a photo of my Jeep in Nov., 1975 on the road between Diablo Dry Lake and San Felipe as I was going from the checkpoint at Valle Trinidad to Nuevo Mazatlan for camping and the Sulfur Mine to watch the Baja 1000.

mailedD7.jpg - 28kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
My daughter has a Jeep she says I can have. I don't remember the model. It looks like a CJ, I'm not familiar with Jeep models and probably 1980s year. I just haven't had time to go look at it. Her ex-husband gave it to her in lieu of child support and she lets the boys drive it around in the back field. I liked my Toyota because it wasn't real big and I could haul my Honda XR250 with me in Baja.

And I have a Tilt-a-Rack motorcycle carrier that's been used ONCE that I'll sell you for half the cost of new just to get it out of my garage.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 06:44 PM

For TWs purposes, a new Tacoma will do him fine. He's not going on the Rubicon, he's driving long, desolate stretches in the desert..**alone**. A CJ w/o air conditioning, leaf sprung syspension, and possibly w/o a hardtop would be hard on him.

Remember, he needs a pickup truck to carry his gear and motorcycle. A SWB Jeep won't fill the bill - not even an AEV Brute.

Back in the days when I drove a pickup, I knew the utility of owning one, and with TW needing space to carry a motorcycle, but still hit the trails, a Tacoma w/a locking rear differential will get him everywhere he needs to go...in Baja.

"DeserteXplorer" pictured here (w/yours truly) did fine on the Pole Line Road a few years ago. His BFGs didn't blow out, and he had no issues on the trail.

This stock 4Runner struggled due to his lack of clearance - getting completely stuck .25 mi. past Mission Santa Maria due to his small tires & no articulation, but made it out of Mission Impossible under his own power due to good spotting & driving.

That front valance got in the way every chance it go. Here, we are in Green Valley on the Score 1000 race route during Baja Grande II in Nov. '07

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 08:25 AM

DeserteXplorer has some really nice side nurf bars that were custom made on his Toyota. There's two made three bars there, I forget exactly.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 08:31 AM

Those are some nice high-clearance rocker guards. All-Pro in Hemet probably mass-produces ones like his. I'd check into it since these will save you some $$ from damage out there in the backcountry.

Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 09:40 AM

Well I hate to say it but I agree the Toyota is hard to beat for dependability and comfort for the baja runs,as you can tell there is not much left of my Jeep that is JEEP.I bought this "Jeep" 20 years ago as a total and since then have been modifiying it ever since.I have finally got it built up to where it will hold together.Our travel to Baja has been limited to winter travel when it is not too hot,AC would be nice for summer travel.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 12:16 PM

You mean BajaXplorer (BX), right?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:08 PM

Correct Roberto
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:13 PM

Didn't this whole thing begin with TW rear ending a school bus?:o
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:16 PM

I believe he has these:

http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/index.php?cPath=27_2...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Didn't this whole thing begin with TW rear ending a school bus?:o

The guy was haulin' gonzo through Mexicali, trying to make it to work in Bakersfield the next morning, and :o WHAM! :O it was all over. Kinda messed up his fender and front end.

I heard somewhere that your worst day in Baja is better than your best day at work. Is this true???

:?: :?: :?:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.