Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mono-to-spectra
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 08:46 AM
mono-to-spectra

I have a Torium 30 with 50# braided line and want to change my top shot to about 100# flourocarbon. I'm a bit confused with the knots in my knot book: can I use an albright with the leader being the looped line and the spectra the wrap around line or will the spectra cut through the leader? Any suggestions or feel free to comment on the whole set up (yo-yo'ing is the normal use for this rig).
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 09:22 AM

The Albright is the one that is recommend by Strean super braid...Mono is looped and braid is warped around 7-8 times...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 09:44 AM
Knots

Al G has it correct...braid is wrapped. I recently experimented with a bimini twist in the braid attached to the mono with what the fly anglers call a "slim beauty". I've used this to connect leaders to my braid on lighter spinning gear with fine results. However, when I did it with 80lb mono to braid it failed on a marlin. I'll stick to the Albright. I believe the "uni to uni" knot is also an option but have yet to fish it.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 11:23 AM

Thanks - albright it will be.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 04:20 PM

According to Sportfishing magazine which did extensive coverage on this very topic, the strongest connection is a 12 turn Bimini on the braid and a 7 turn Bristol on the monofilament. More twists on the Bimini actually weakens the connection and more that 7 on the Bristol also weakens the knot. In the old days we thought if we could get 40 percent breaking strength on braid knots we were doing pretty well, but now we expect close to 100% with these knots.
I am a little confused why you would want to put 100 lb flouro on your tippet. I use 80 lb spectra and early in the season I put on 60 and then go down to 50 later when the fish are not right on the bottom. 100 lb. is so stiff it is very difficult to get it to cinch down and tie properly wheras 60 does a great job and has enough flexibility that it allows good lure and live bait action.
We have been playing for years with terminal knots and have come to find out that the double San Diego knot is the very strongest and holds up the abuse that these big reefdwellers can put on tackle.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

I am a little confused why you would want to put 100 lb flouro on your tippet. I use 80 lb spectra and early in the season I put on 60 and then go down to 50 later when the fish are not right on the bottom. 100 lb. is so stiff it is very difficult to get it to cinch down and tie properly wheras 60 does a great job and has enough flexibility that it allows good lure and live bait action.

Perhaps Santiago was following Whistler's suggestion from another thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
The older "black" 4/0's had a slower retrieve and smaller drags.
Your red 4/0 will work ok if you are fishing shallow water like Hook said.I don't like using braided line the rocks ,though.Just run a heavy leader,like 175lb mono.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 09:47 PM

Bingo to Skipjack but I kinda figured that out myself as I had some 100# mono laying around and it's pretty tough to get a knot that looks like it will work.
Pescador: you didn't mean that you change your spectra form 80 to 60 to 50 during the year? You must have meant your top-shot?? Thanks for the San Diego reminder - I completely forgot about that one.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
We have been playing for years with terminal knots and have come to find out that the double San Diego knot is the very strongest and holds up the abuse that these big reefdwellers can put on tackle.

I second that....the San Diego is the way to go!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 08:20 AM

I use braid with a 60lb topshot, and an 80-90 lb leader, when bottom fishing for yellowtail.

I make my own topshots, aka wind-on leaders, although they can be purchased ready made: http://www.bhptackle.com/index.php

I insert about 5 feet of mono inside a length of hollow spectra, "serve" the end with spectra, and make a spliced loop at the other end of the hollow spectra. I can make a easily changed loop to loop connection with a bimini at the end of the spectra backing on the reel. It runs easily through the guides.

I haven't had a failed connection yet and I can't pull any harder.

For reels with spectra backing and light line, 30lb or less, I connect the mono to spectra with a uni to uni splice.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Don,do you use a splicing needle to make the end loop?I do something similiar when attaching a braided mono running line to my backing(dacron) when fly fishing.

Yes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.