Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OLD BAJA BUDDY - OPENS STEAKHOUSE
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 11:15 AM
OLD BAJA BUDDY - OPENS STEAKHOUSE

STEAKHOUSE AND OLD BAJA FRIENDS

There's a new steakhouse down south...and we sure wish it was a lot closer to Coyote Bay.

This is a restaurant report and a posting about old Baja friends...both good things to write about!

About 25 years ago, while walking on the beach, we met an adventuresome young couple who were rough-camping on Coyote Bay...their names are Pier and Norma Azcona. We became solid friends over the next few years, sharing lots of Baja pleasures together. But Pier and Norma were always lured further south, eventually making their way down the peninsula to settle on the coast just north of La Playita.
-
We were a lot younger then (1982-JungleJims, Mulege):
-

-
and now in 2008:

-

Over the years, we've hosted some great reunions at mi casa during Pier and Norma's travels back and forth from their Salinas Valley business & King City mountain home to their Baja East Cape beach home. I always start salivating when told of their coming visits, because Pier is one of the true masters at the grill...
-
as shown here at one of his famous free beach barbeques at the Cape..

-

...someone who gets your steak done perfectly every time, no matter how much wine flows...can marinate, roast and carve a baron of beef to get the cut just the way each guest likes it...or pepper-season a yellowfin steak and grill it to a crusty-juicy perfection..Pier-style. Melt-in-your-mouth-times. (This last Friday we had some yellowtail - jurel - that Pier made his way and it tops my list of best fish dinners ever in Baja...and I’ve had a few of those.)
-

Pier’s heritage is Swiss/Mexican and the foods he brings with him show that influence. My personal favorites, that I eagerly await, are: great homemade venison sausages that his grandfather taught him how to make...
-

-

sharp cheeses and hot Basque bread...served with superb red table wine from his own small vineyard/resort...and of course, the always delicious rib-eyes that go on my grill. Forget the diets...break out the corkscrew and the bibs.

Also in the business of farming up north, he brings some wonderfully tasty additions for Felipa's herb garden, which she excells at...Mother Earth style.
-

With his partner, Pier recently opened the El Vaquero steakhouse in downtown San Jose del Cabo. That Pier would branch into this business in Baja is no surprise to me, given his US experience in restaurant/food industry. Easy to find, El Vaquero is a nice, spacious, corner building on the town square across from City Hall.
-

Appetizers are important and I try to sample as many as possible before dinner. Here you will find many soups, shrimp c-cktail and calamari preparations. I am a fiend for soup and calamari.

Now for the main fare: If you love fine steak dinners like me, you are in for a rare treat in Baja. Pier’s menu specializes in prime rib, new york steaks, rib eyes, & filet mignon. The steaks, ribs, etc. are Iowa imports...so you know they’re absolute best quality. (I had the ‘Cowboy Cut’..a huge prime rib...so I could make my leftovers into a boat sammy for the next day.) I saw a neighboring table's meat dish I want to try next time.. Churrasco steak, charred/grilled with salsa and steak fries, cilantro chimichrurri. For the seafood lover, try the Chilean Salmon, sauteed Baja sea bass, lobster, prawns..plus the obligatory Surf & Turfs. Hint: I had the salmon the second day....I doubt the kitchen crew had to wash that plate.
-

-
El Vaquero also has the Herradura Bar, plus a varied selection of over 90 fine wines to impress your wife or date. .Me: ”Okay, Pancho, we’ll have 2 flagons of Chateau Last Tuesday..”
-

-
Also enjoy the excellent cognac with....dessert...

I never forget dessert. You have a choice of bread pudding, orange crepes, creme brulee, ice creams flambe...ahhhh...sooo good....so good we needed a pry bar to loosen me from my chair..

Mucho positivos about this new eatery...only dos negativos: I’m no rabbit and seldom waste space on salads, but I’m informed by Felipa that great ones do exist at El Vaquero...I wouldn’t know. Also there is something called ‘Poached Baby Peas’ on the dessert menu. That was somewhat alarming...I hate peas.... they should be eradicated from the face of the earth.

Pier...Just funning with you, amigo. Felipa can eat those baby peas.

If you love great steak dinners - barbequed ribs - mouth-watering prime rib...all-top quality beef...then try El Vaquero. You won’t be disappointed. Pier's a fine old-time Baja host, with a professional & friendly staff, and a cozy, relaxing setting in downtown San Jose del Cabo. Tell him Pompano sent you.....

...and tell him to bring me some more venison sausages!-

(edited to add more current information)

[Edited on 11-2-2008 by Pompano]

- aaelvaquerocafe (12).jpg - 42kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 01:05 PM

Thanks Roger, for the great pics and food revue. Will not miss that place for sure if we ever get down that way
Ford
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 08:31 AM

I went by to check out this place and it looks fantastic! What a beautiful setting and with the new square expanding to that block as well it is a great location! My parents ate there and said it was great!!! They said it reminded them of one of my favorite resturants of all time, House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. They said you will leave stuffed and with left overs! I was getting so fired up when pompano talked about left over prime-rib sando for the fishing boat next day! Can I roll with you Pompano? I like your style!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 10:02 AM
Ford

Although Pier has some of the finer chefs in Baja working for him, he's no slouch on the grill himself. Here he is doing his magic on my patio grill in Coyote a couple weeks ago.

We had chicken that tasted just like chicken!

I highly recommend Pier's El Vaquero restaurant in San Jose del Cabo to all Nomads and readers.

You will not be dissapointed.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 10:09 AM

Pompano
When were you here?
I have heard nothing but good things about the food at Pier's new place.
Those KM 85 beach parties were wonderful. There would be 100's of side dishes and wonderful grilled meats.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 10:23 AM

Hi bajajudy,
I agree on the fun beach parties! Great times..they must have been!..I can barely remember them...Hey, I never kissed you on New Years Eve.. or did I?

Those cafe pics were taken last February when I was there. I have been there a couple times since to see Pier and Norma, but was flying with Dusty and we didn't stay but a day or two each time. Just long enough to get some great prime rib! Dusty is a wild-blue yonder pilot and one never wants to wander far from the plane.

The other pics are at my Coyote place this mid-October. Next time down there, I will stop by your place and visit. Please do the same when in my neck of the peninsula.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 05:16 PM

Wow, that place looks fancy. Sounds great Pompano. Thanks for the tip.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 06:47 PM

Pompano, great review and presentation! Looks simply divine, a draw for us Nortenos... Your pictures do it a great justice, and put it on the map for us, thankyou!
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 01:22 AM

Haven't been down to Cabo for about 10 years but this is definately something I will try on my run next year. I plan to do a road trip down there, as soon as I recovery from a reconstructive knee operation. Hopefully, I get it operated on by the first of 2009. This will be a good reason to rehab better and jump onto my motorcycle and ride. I love having something that encourages me to focus on visiting, so this eatery is definately got my focus.
Thanks for sharing, great pictures and I always like seeing friends keeping in touch with each other. Later, bajafun777

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 07:48 AM

Pompano... what a great report and your photos and story-line make it the best review I've ever seen! I really like your style.

Audrey and I will be in Mulege in January - just have to meet up with you while we are there... we will most likely be with our close friends, Bob and T, at Jungla Jim's every afternoon at 4PM for happy hour!

And, if we are ever in San Jose we will have a nice steak dinner at El Vaquero!
Bob H
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 10:51 AM

Wow,

What a great review, I am salivating as I pen this.

Looks like we are going to have to make the trek to San Jose del Cabo.

Thanks,

CaboRon

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 01:11 PM

We pass by Pier and Norma's beautiful new home on the east cape road every time we go to town. Haven't been in the restaurant yet, waiting for a special occasion. But isn't every day a special occasion? What are we waiting for? And I guess we should stop in and introduce ourselves to our new neighbors too!
Everything we have heard about their restaurant is very positive. A great addition to town.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.