Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nomads in Baja '08
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 07:38 PM
Nomads in Baja '08

We had sooo many fun experiences in Baja that when I start to write a trip report it's just too much to compile. I thought I'd start with a list of Nomads we met along our way.

Tim01 and Barbarena joined us at the Chula Vista Marina RV Park a day before crossing the border so Tim and I could hit Squidco for some last-minute fishing supplies. They followed us across the border at Tecate. They later met us in Asuncion for a few weeks over Christmas and New Years. Tim is a very nice man and a pretty good fisherman. Barb is another story alltogether. We have an unspoken list of things to have at a party; music, refrescos, pupu's etc. Now we have added "Barb" to our listed of most needed things to have at a party - she is more fun than anything I have come across in years !! Love you, girl !!

Oh my gosh, we spent about a month in Asuncion on our way south and I think there were 27 Nomads at the New Years party !! Many were just lurkers; the potters, the family with three teenagers and so many others.

Bajaboy Zac and Tracy were very nice to finally meet but I'm still peeed that I didn't get to go fishing with the lucky sob. He was up on his roof for most of his trip !!

Tiomiguel and Juanita were the hosts with the most. Great people, generous, smart, funny and they always had cold beer !!
We hope to see them again many times to come !

Shari and Juan were so busy with keeping all their renters and friends happy that we didn't see them enough.
BTW, Shari can really shake-a-leg when the tunes come on !!

Sirena was busy warming her bed and the couch as I hear is a common syndrome of 18 year olds. She did make appearances at all the important parties, dinners and surf contests. She is soo loved by that whole town and rightly so.

Trotters were really sweet folks - offering use of their shower and generally feeling the same as we do about our new little town. Although it's true that Diane doesn't know how to telll a short story, she is full of fun info.

And the Gypsies; ahem.. we were expecting some thing more - like major, monster party animals with beer horns coming from their heads. Actually, they are very nice folks who were enjoying a quick trip away from 4 kids - bless them. Todd was the great hunter; spearing a huge halibut at San Roque to feed 25 hungry folks.

Packoderm came through in his classic VW van with his son. They stayed at San Roque but joined some of our fun in Asuncion. A very nice young man, his son.

Oh, I know I'm missing some but I'll come back to Asuncion...

We had fun times again in Mulege with Pompano. He should be another addition to our most needed party supplies list. Pompano is just, well he's just.. Pompano; nothing else like him. He is among the nicest, most generous folks I have met.
He has a story for every occassion and knows something about a million things. We hope to remain friends for years to come.

If I remember correctly, we also met Mulegena while in town.
Now was that the lady we met at Pompano's or the wife of the owner of the Mulege dive shop who works with stray animals that we met in Asuncion and then again in Mulege ? I'll have to ask my wife.

Just another mention of the 10 or so nameless Nomads (or I just can't remember their names) that we met along the way. Mostly lurkers that we met at various campsites, beaches, restaurants and shops all throughout our travels - some in the strangest places.

After dropping my wife and kids at the Cabo airport for their return flight and the start of my trip north, I paused in La Ribera and spent a short time with Osprey. He and his wife have made a very nice home there.

When I made it back to Asuncion, Russ had stopped in for a few hours to check out the place for a longer trip with friends in the near future. I hope he can get into some fish - we did !!

Santiago and a friend brought his boat to Asuncion for a few days on their way south. Poor man has no better luck fishing than I do !! We all got skunked the same day !

Leaving Asuncion I was hailed at a Pemex and informed that I had now met Jack Swords. He and his wife were heading north. We had a brief but nice conversation before hitting the road.

I know I've forgotten some and will add to this post if and when my memory comes back.
Thanks to all you Nomads and others who contributed to another great winter in Baja !!

[Edited on 3-2-2008 by Diver]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 07:59 PM

Before we crossed the border, we had the pleasure of meeting Bajawarrier at his home in Chula Vista. His generousity in donating huge bags of wetsuits, rash guards and booties along with 3 surfboards from Warrier and his friends was TRULY appreicated by the local surf team.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 08:07 PM

And here's my "sorry" list;

Sorry we didn't get to meet Hose A again this year. I just haven't been able to work out the timing going through Ensenada. I still look forward to shaking your hand some day.

And Judy, I noticed the post on your gathering was just after I had left the area. Our trails don't normally get us into San Jose but someday.

Nena and I haven't met but we know that we will and we know that we will enjoy each other when we do. Next year in Baja !

Zoe, Birddog and Michele; get your butts to Baja !!

And Dennis, when are you bringing down your drums ?

And to all you others; at this rate, maybe soon, in Baja ......

[Edited on 3-2-2008 by Diver]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 08:14 PM

Oh my gosh, how could I forget Bob and Susan and their lighthouse and gorgeous swimming pool ? Stopped in to see their place and Bob graciously gave me the full tour. They have done a ton of work.
Very nice folks, also living their dream in Baja.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 08:51 AM

Diver glad you made it back safe and sound. But I don't get this:

Tim is a very nice man and a pretty good fisherman. Barb is another story alltogether. We have an unspoken list of things to have at a party; music, refrescos, pupu's etc. Now we have added "Barb" to our listed of most needed things to have at a party - she is more fun than anything I have come across in years !! Love you, girl !!

Trying to think of what I did that was unusual....drawing a blank. I know I like to shake my booty but I at least kept my clothes on.

Thank you again for showing us the way through the border crossing. Are you going to try and make it down for the August fishing derby? We are. Think Tim is still the record holder.

Barb
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 09:08 AM

Barb,

Part of the charm of you is that you DON'T know what you did.
Great dancing, great jokes and stories, just good company - both of you !

Maybe it was something about you running up the beach to get more beer after you pulled in a "double"; two fish on one rod !
Or maybe the fact that you guys actually had canadian firewood to add to our beach fire ?
Maybe it was the way that Tim tried hard not to smile so huge after he caught all those fish !!
Maybe it was just me and Pam - "eye of the beholder" thing ?
You guys make sure and come visit anytime you're near !

And yes, at this point, we're just fantasizing about making it down in August but I'm working on it.
Can't let Tim catch all the fish, eh ?! :biggrin:
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 09:31 AM

Thanks for the great post Diver! You descriptions of everyone makes me look forward to meeting more Nomads...
( I think Barb and I might get on very well together:lol::lol:)

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Before we crossed the border, we had the pleasure of meeting Bajawarrier at his home in Chula Vista. His generousity in donating huge bags of wetsuits, rash guards and booties along with 3 surfboards from Warrier and his friends was TRULY appreicated by the local surf team.

Welcome back Diver!

Thank you for the honorable mention regarding the surfboards and wetsuits, it was OUR pleasure, as a board and 4 wetsuits and rashguards were donated by BAJAGEOFF also.

BTW, we're in Mission Bay, not Chula Vista, just a clarification...

Glad your home unscathed, now for the culture shock of America!

BW

Haven't had a bad trip yet....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.