Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: To the Pub!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 01:13 AM

To the beer!

I bounce my way to the highway and head to town. Be very careful in San Quintin area. Traffic is crazy.
I see another sign I was looking for. Motocross San Quintin. It's been there for a few years so I head back into the dirt and find Rancho Avin'a, where the track is. I can see it from the road but can't get to it. It's deep in the ranch. I just wanted a quick look but now I had to go to the house and ask.
Will I ever get a cold beer today?
I park the truck and start up the driveway and I see a rancher walking two big horses my way. I walk up and say hi and point to the track. He speaks no english and his spanish is rapid fire. I'm lost.
I resort to signing like a cowboy talking to an indian in the movies. He gets it and I think he says it's 2 bucks to ride there. He's very friendly and patient for a guy holding onto horses. I say gracias and head for beer.
I head toward the road to my camp and stop at a little tienda on the way. There must be 1000 little stores around there. I get a cold sixer of tecate and head for a taco stand.
My first bad taco stand too. It's near the military base and next to a little motel. The motel has a bar upstairs.
The vibe wasn't right and the tacos were skimpy. I still wolfed two down while simultaniously drinking a beer. Good enough so I turn on my road and keep er right at 25 until I'm clear of town and speed up to about 50.
11 miles goes by quick and I'm back at the camp.
What a day!
I patrol my camp and dream big dreams looking out at the bay and my new friends houses. I wonder if they are looking at me?
I drink more beer and start putting on more clothes. It's colder than last night. A camp fire would be nice.
I walk all around and find an old tractor. It hasn't run for years. What's its story. Maybe an old pioneer's tractor.
I'm looking at the volcano nearest and a marine layer is coming in fast. It engulfs the volcano. Now I'm a little wet and cold.
But I cant leave, not yet.
I stand in the patio alcove of Rafael's house and it shelters me from the wind. I'll camp in there next trip. It's empty so I have it to myself. I should buy that darn house!
Finally I can't take much more cold. It's dark but still beautiful. I climb my high ground once more and burn the image into my mind.
Back to the nice warm truck and the even warmer hotel. A great diner in the restuarant and in for the evening.
Ensenada at 7am...

[Edited on 4-24-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 04:56 PM

I'm up early and anxious to get ahead of the morning farm traffic. It takes lots of busloads of workers to farm all that area. They are slow and stop alot.
An uneventful drive gets me to Ensenada at around 9 and I get to Aida's to drop my FM-3 for renewal. My 1st year. She remembers me and I give her the FM and $215. 115 in fees and I guess her cut is 100. I'm not sure and don't really care.
It's all part of my grand plan to become a Mexican citizen.
I need to mail her back my passport and financials and I'll be legal again.
She helps me locate my lawyer, Enrique, by calling his office. He's by Doriens and has a parking lot near there. He's out so I decide to go down to the Malicon and get some coffee. There is a little drivethru on Costero that I use when I blast through Ensenada early. The is a very cute young women who works in there I'm guessing with her mom.
I decide to do the walk up and try and flirt with her a little. She's young and cute and has braces. The mom looks a little scary but doesn't seem to object to my intentions. I'm in love.
I figure even though she is probably 16 that it's okay in Mexico.
Hey my new friend in SQ is 84 and married a local girl 45. By that math I should be able to marry a 10 year old. But my donut shop girl is just right. Maybe she's 17.
I finish the coffee and have no reason to stay so I head for Enriques.
I park in his lot and find him. I need to make copies for him so I search out a copy shop. The I find an ATM to to get his $100 to review all my documents. They are notorized but I want the review just in case.
Turns out that the translator didn't include the CC&R'S so I have some wiggle room to negotiate with the developer, Rafael.
So time to head home and deal with an 1.5 hour buzz killing border wait. Traffic is good in Socal and about 3-4hours later I'm home in Costa Mesa again.
What a trip!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-24-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 05:45 PM

Thanks for a great report !!
Sounds like the kind of trip that makes you want to go back - now !!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 05:51 PM

Great report, Fish. Great writing and a Great thank you. It was fun.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Thanks for a great report !!
Sounds like the kind of trip that makes you want to go back - now !!

Ya, I've been heart sick all week. I am truly in love with baja.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Great report, Fish. Great writing and a Great thank you. It was fun.

The fun was all mine. Can't wait to get back to Sharkys. In Cantu!

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 08:26 PM

Fishbuck - get a SENTRI pass!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
The fun was all mine. Can't wait to get back to Sharkys. In Cantu!

Ditto on the great report. I'll see you at Sharky's next time you come down.:o:o:o

Bob Durrell
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I went to Bajadock's Pub after I dropped some bikes at Bajamigo and Bajabound 2005's house.
It's a very cool drive and all uphill.
I wasn't sure where his house was but I had seen the pictures and drove through his neighborhood until I found the pub.
Th "Pub open" sign was up so I climbed his stairs and gave a yell.
He was expecting me because news travels fast at Punta Banda.He got an email from down the hill.
Doc invited me in and showed me his cool house and I was blown away by the veiw. We went onto his deck and the veiw was awesome. Like flying a plane we were so high up.
What a great guy with a great story. And he is into this (bikes) charity also. I found out about the golf tourney. It sounded great and I don't golf but if they do it again I'm going.
We chatted in the sunshine on the deck and I just did not want to leave.
I like Doc and will definitly have a drink with him in Ensenada next time I'm there.
Great fun so far on Punta Banda. But wait there's more... There was one person who I just could not miss while I was out there on the point. I just had to meet... DENNIS!!!

bacquito
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.