Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Ironman"-edition Tundra vs. "Raptor" Ford "Trophy Truck"
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 09:16 PM
"Ironman"-edition Tundra vs. "Raptor" Ford "Trophy Truck"

Ford and Toyota are supposedly fighting it out for dominance in the Off Road world. Two vehicles are causing a stir, and haven't even been released to the public yet!

http://**********.blogspot.com/2008/04/ford-and-toyota-fight-for-flag-of-off.html

Anyone have an opinion to offer on this? :?:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 10:49 AM

People who buy "Off Road" trucks seldom do any real off roading. They get a 4x4 and use it where they don't need 4 wheel drive. Most people think of an Off Road truck as a 4x4 but Toyota changed a lot of that thinking with their Pre-Runner version of two wheel drive. People that follow Off Road Racing know that Ford is a dominate force. And for all of Ivan's Baja racing, he has only won the Baja 1000 two times over all in a truck which doesn't say much for Toyota endurance in a long run. And much of that time he spent in class one starting in the front. Personally I think Toyota builds a better truck with attention to detail. The others build good trucks but a close look indicates they really are not designed by an Off Road advocate or user, but someone with a construction site, ranch or farm in mind. In the end as far as the maunufacture is concerned it's about sales and Ford was still number 1 in truck sales. The F150 is the most sold vehicle in the U.S. and the world.

Ivan gave Toyota their name in Off Roading and will help their sales with his name on the truck.

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by TW]
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 11:03 AM

I think Toyota makes a really good product off the shelf. Durability and function for mild off road use are its claim to fame. I think Ford is a close second mainly due to the size of their vehicles, the weight is the killer eliment.

For both of the manufacturers they still have to aim their marketing at the "general" public with the main goodies, fat tires, horsepower, a rumbly exhaust note, some decals and a big name badging package.

We who beat the tar out of our off road vehicles will continue to ask the same question....tell us about the suspension please????

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 02:07 AM

Toyota get the first three letters FORD TOUGH

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 11:19 AM

I've been told that the TV Tundra ads are real, but I find it hard to accept. Especially stopping an accelerating truck at the edge of a canyon or going into two swinging irons. If someone got hurt I'd think a big lawsuit would follow. I may have missed the disclaimer too. I also think the Ford add dropping out the back of an airplane and stopping is dumb. Now a stock truck running over a rough Baja 1000 section would convince me to go to the dealer.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 05:01 PM

What I have put my 2003 F350 4X4 Diesel (7.3) through over these past years is nothing less then mind boggling....

Again, Ford Tough.........

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I've been told that the TV Tundra ads are real, but I find it hard to accept. Especially stopping an accelerating truck at the edge of a canyon or going into two swinging irons. If someone got hurt I'd think a big lawsuit would follow. I may have missed the disclaimer too. I also think the Ford add dropping out the back of an airplane and stopping is dumb. Now a stock truck running over a rough Baja 1000 section would convince me to go to the dealer.

Hey, those Toyota ads where a girlfriend has her boyfriend's Tacoma pushed off a cliff and it doesn't get a dent (here), or when the Taco gets hit by a meteor (here) or the Loch Ness monster tries to eat one (here) are real too..... ;)

Even this Hi-Lux ad from New Zealand is real Here

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 10:01 AM

The Hi-Lux ad is funny! Thanks for the laughs!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

just1man

Mood: Courageous

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 11:27 AM

My favorite is the kayak-er on the beach when the tide comes in. I'd like to both of them go to Baja with a stock truck and run it class 1100 style! No suspension or motor upgrades, not t mention 2 wheel drive got to love em'

2 Guys
2 Seats
4 tires
and a cooler of beer:lol:

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 06:20 PM

Back when SCORE had the Safari class, they were stock. I had a friend who had a cage put in his Toyota and he ran several of the races and usually finished within the time limit. He never had any problems other than a couple of flats and he got lost once that cost him from finishing on time.
bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 11:40 PM

2001 f250 diesel... cabo and back 3 times did one of kc's gps event's pick up a couple ktm's along the way over 110,000 miles nothing more than two batteries

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.