Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: LOOKING FOR A FISH FINDER
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 06:05 PM

Udo...more info

When considering batteries to power your kayak you may wish to look beyond motorcyle batteries for other options. Down here in San Diego there are "battery warehouses" that sell rechargable small 6-12 ampHr "gell" type batteries. These can be mounted sideways to accomodate tight locations inside your kayak. Don't have to worry about acid spills. Maybe there is a battery specialty shop in your area. These places provide specialty batteries for golf carts, wheel chairs, emergency light power units, etc. One guy I knew used a bunch of old 9V Makita drill batteries to power his bait pump and fish finder!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 06:47 PM

Well, we want to see pictures of the fish you are gonna catch. Cabela's sells a great gel battery that I use on my icefishing sonar and it works great, if it tips over it keeps on working. Keeps the acid from leaking out of the motorcycle battery and eating your swim trunks, or whatever.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 07:13 PM

Faro & pescador...
I am really thankful for your input!
Do you mind if I come down your way, Faro, and look at your rig? I would also like to take some photos of it so I may remember what I looked at.
I'll be in SD again (on business) on the 25th of this month. The battery I was considering was an Odissey AGM battery. I had really great luck with it in my Goldwing (so far it's been in there for 8 years).
My kayak is a Hobie Adventure Island. My wife's is the same, but only mine will be set up for fishing.
I already have a GPS. it's a Lowrance Expedition c. I'll be using it in Alaska starting this weekend. (We are going to share some salmon with some bears). The Nauticpath chart chip I bought for it has all of the west coast as well as Baja. Really cool!
But as far as the fishfinders go, it seems that the ones with the brightest screens are in the $400-600 range, and so far there are more votes for the Garmin, than for Lowrance or Humminbird. No one has recommended which Garmin yet, but I compared screens at the Bass Pro store in Rancho Cucamonga and the Garmin 340c has my vote because of the screen. Comparing units within a price range, say $500.00, all the brands seem almost identical in features.
Your input on placement of the transponder is invaluable because I was undecided regarding on what kind to get and where to mount it. I am concerned, however, about the bottom of the kayak dragging on shallow water and dragging on rocks when in Baja and losing the transponder.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 07:55 AM

I would love to watch TV, but where would I put the fish?

DSCN2363.JPG - 39kB
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 09:16 AM

Before I get ripped for the sailfish.............It was an accident. I don't even fish for billfish anymore, and certainly not from a kayak with 14lb line and no leader. I tried for ten minutes to revive it. Didn't taste bad though.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
Udo...

Here is my current setup...I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler "Big Game" olive green. It is setup to accomodate an assortment of fishing accessories. Directly in front of my feet is a molded flat surface to accomodate a fish finder and a compass and whatever else one wishes to "bolt on" to the surface. For the fish finder specifically the right side of the flat surface in front of my right foot is the ideal area to mount the fish finder. There is a battery shelf under the surface to secure the battery. Power is then run up through a hole to the fish finder. The transponder is mounted on the underside of the kayak on a small circular flat surface specifically molded around the front right drain hole to accomodate the transponder mount. The cable is then fed up through the drain hole and into the fish finder.

I prefer to use the GARMIN FORETREX 101 wrist mounted GPS for a host of reasons...It is separate from the fish finder, waterproof, portable, and battery powered to 15 hrs. It is a basic GPS that stores 500 waypoints and 10,000 trackpoints w/ traceback feature. Waypoints can be uploaded/downloaded to a PC. It DOES NOT store maps...which are useless in Baja anyway for near shore/estuary fishing in remote areas. I also prefer a wrist compass. Both my navigation tools are separate from the fish finder in case I'm separated from the kayak.

Besides coming down to take a look at your kayak-fish rig, I would also like to look at your tackle box because I have no idea on what to take as bait/lures when I'm in Baja fishing off my kayak.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.