Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 01:43 PM

OH YES very tasty they are.
Skip_Mac
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:01 PM
Asuncion Aquaculture

Sheri...
That;s wonderful news about the aquaculture, shellfish are much better products with a minimal environmental footprint compared to some other industrial aquaculture...Still I am concerned about the infections which seem to be spreading along the west coast, affecting some shellfish.
My fingers are crossed and I hope your local efforts are successful for both the environment and your community.

Your's is a special place (in time and space) here's to no one spoiling it's charm before I can visit.

Live Happy,
Skip
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:11 PM

The smaller the foot print the better in my opion. I hope to be able to slide into the culture and not be to noticable. Asuncion is heaven as far as I am concerned.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:12 PM

Cheers Skip and welcome aboard! No worries mate...this place will dazzle you as it does nearly everyone who has braved the bumpy road. One of the neat things these guys are doing is storing huge amounts of abalone seed in the event that some natural cause kills off the local abs here...so they can re seed the area..they will also seed known abalone areas so they produce more too. I think it's a wonderful idea because our village really depends on the abalone resource and if that goes down, the town will really suffer so it's good to have a back up plan ready. The big lobster kill off last year in Abreojos really scared alot of folks and luckily didn't get to here but it sure was close! Good thing we have that cold current...you should see our kelp beds this year...they are huge!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:22 PM

Northern waters off the Oregon and Washington coast are becoming increasingly more acid, this acidity is causing porblems with the shells of clams, oysters and other mollusks. You are fortunate to live in an area that still has somewhat pristine waters and a community will to protect its acquacultural resources.

Now, Lion Paw Scallops are terrible, awful, unpalatable and distateful. Do not eat them.....save them till we get down there and can adequately assess their current culinary status before doing in any more of these creatures.

Iflyfish
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Northern waters off the Oregon and Washington coast are becoming increasingly more acid, this acidity is causing porblems with the shells of clams, oysters and other mollusks.

Iflyfish

Rick. are you talking about the demoic acid events related to an algal bloom or are you addressing the "acidification" of the oceans due to carbon dioxide?
They are equally harmful to bivalves and mollusks.
Both of these play into the entirety and multitude of problems are oceans are experiencing. Ontop of that, we have a mysterious "dead zone" occuring due possibly to a culprit related to vibrio sp.. A relative of this sp. is poisoning oyster larvae in PNW breeding farms.

We've got some serious doodoo happening out there amigo.
I fear that evidence may conclude mans' heavy hand has added undue weight onto an already precarious scale thus tipping the balance of life.:no:

On the bright side....... it was SUNNY today!:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.