BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Laguna San Ignacio to Abreojos, back road?
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 08:09 PM
Laguna San Ignacio to Abreojos, back road?

Can anyone give me any details about catching the back, unpaved road from Laguna San Ignacio to Abreojos? I've heard that it's quicker, more interest to bypass San Ignacio and the 1, but also see from Google Earth that the roads may be tough to spot.

Also, if anyone has driven it recently, can you confirm it's 2-wheel drive suitable? We'd have a 4x4 and a 2x4.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 07:09 AM

Assuming you're talking about the cross over from El Alamo to Rancho San Juan and San Angel. It's been a while since I've been on it. But since you have a 4x4 with you try it and let us know. Most of the time little used roads like that don't require a 4x4 unless there is sand. It's possible it could be washed out at one of the arroyos if so then turn around and come back, it's still an adventure worth the time. Stop at El Alamo and ask before crossing over.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 10:18 AM

I was hoping for some good responses on this.
We are thinking of prowling around that area in March and some of our vehicles might not be too road worthy.
Hope the thread gets read and more responses are forthcoming.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:23 AM

Just take three new shovels and some picks and you'll be fine you will be

able to make it through. I was in San ignacios last week it was beautiful but

I took hwy 1.

READY SET.....................
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:33 AM
Two pieces of expanded metal...

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
Just take three new shovels and some picks and you'll be fine you will be

able to make it through. I was in San ignacios last week it was beautiful but

I took hwy 1.

and only one shovel would be a lot better dealing with sandy roads.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
Can anyone give me any details about catching the back, unpaved road from Laguna San Ignacio to Abreojos? I've heard that it's quicker,

You heard wrong. Quicker to take the highway and established roads to lagoon.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 10:04 AM

I just love those back roads.

Thats the real dog in it in baja!

READY SET.....................
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Can anyone give me any details about catching the back, unpaved road from Laguna San Ignacio to Abreojos? I've heard that it's quicker,

Have you taken the back road yourself? When I look at it on Google earth, it looks like an hour shorter. The road from the laguna to Iganacio is washboard-terrible and a slow goer, last I heard. The road around the back of the laguna looks to be salt flats and suitable for land-speed records, but I haven't driven it, so am looking for first hand knowledge from someone who has.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 10:39 AM

Please try it and report back! The road to the lagoon is being paved and is part done, last I heard... San Ignacio to Abreojos is all paved, too.

The road around the top end of the lagoon isn't even shown going through in the AAA map... and in fact, Rancho El Alamo (where the road starts) is closer to San Ignacio than the lagoon... So, you will have to drive most of the washboard road anyway to get to El Alamo... what ever isn't already paved...

How or why are you getting to the lagoon? Or, are you coming north from Scorpion Bay (San Juanico)?

Even if there is no new pavement south from San Ignacio, the faster route would still seem to go back through San Ignacio, just looking at the map?

Salt flats? Perhaps, you are not refering to the dirt road between El Alamo and San Angel/ Los Cerritos?? Sure, if you can cross country over the salt flats north of the lagoon and avoid any dirt road, then great.

BUT, the salt is there because during highest tides, sea water brings it it... so,that may be a reason no road over it is shown??

Anxious to hear back from you on what you discover!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Have you taken the back road yourself? When I look at it on Google earth, it looks like an hour shorter. The road from the laguna to Iganacio is washboard-terrible and a slow goer, last I heard. The road around the back of the laguna looks to be salt flats and suitable for land-speed records, but I haven't driven it, so am looking for first hand knowledge from someone who has.

driven much around that area, but never for purpose of taking a short cut, as it ain't too short or easy. the "salt flats" you speak of are OK as long as you don't have to cross a wet spot -- they are not like bonneville, but please report back with your new land speed records, as I would like to hear your tale :lol::lol: (btw, most of the area is salty, but better described as dry lake bed or dry tide flats, and you'll encounter more clay and silt than salt). The "roads" off the "flats" that you see on air photos are composed of the same rocky/cobbly soils you see along the normal route to the lagoon -- be my guest if you want to drive those little-used routes at high speed, and tell me how your vehicle does with those rocky roads at high speed :lol:
the dirt road to the lagoon is now partly paved (first 10 km or so), and the unpaved part is washboarded, but occasionally graded, and wash boards are quite doable/comfortable at high speed ("floating speed"), taking about an hour to travel from lagoon to village.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How or why are you getting to the lagoon? Or, are you coming north from Scorpion Bay (San Juanico)?

Anxious to hear back from you on what you discover!

We're headed north from San Juanico.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:50 PM

Well, if the vehicles you are using are doing all of that, then 16 more miles from El Alamo to San Ignacio (6 are paved per mtgoat666) should be faster than cross country exploring or the little used road no longer on the AAA map... However, I am into baja exploring... so part of me hopes you cross country on the salt flat or use the old road!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 06:36 AM

In true Baja spirit, my back roads adventure now hinges on whether or not I can have made/find a replacement for the linkage that just fell off my truck. If I can't find one, I'll drive the other way around and get one on Constitucion.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 06:51 AM

I would not recommend driving on any salt flats if you don't have to unless you don't care what it may do to your vehicle. Getting salt, especially any salt water, into areas of a vehicle will almost instantly start rusting and corroding the parts.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.