Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto Fishing Trip-Aug 17
JaraHurd
Nomad

Mood: probably annoyed

[*] posted on 8-29-2008 at 08:17 PM
Loreto Fishing Trip-Aug 17

Just wanted to give some feedback about a fishing service I used whilst vacationing with my wife in Loreto recently.

Based on reading posts for the past year or so on Nomad and Mexfish.com I decided to use Pam's The Baja Big Fish Company. As it turns out, it was a great choice for me.

We arrived late in Loreto the day prior. I had called Pam from Mulege at approximately 5 pm explaining to her that we were running late. She told me to relax and enjoy my drive to Mulege and that when I arrived in Loreto to call her. I told her that I would probably be arriving in Loreto at around 9 pm and told her not to wait up for me. I knew that the telephone number we were talking on was not a mobile but a land-line to her office. She told me not to worry about it and to call her.

I ended up calling her at around a little after 9. Sure enough, she answered the phone and patiently asked a few clarifying questions as to what my needs were. I told her that my wife had NEVER been fishing before and requested a patient captain.

The next day Pam hooked us up with Captain Eulogio. I was not really expecting a whole lot in the way of catching fish as the moon had been full the night prior. We headed out on Eulogio's panga. After making bait we drove to the fishing grounds. He explained to us what we were going to be doing.

After an hour or so, we caught our first fish, a smallish dolphinfish. I did not want to retain any fish and requested that the captain release it if he did not want it. No problem. He let it go. During the next two hours or so we continually hooking into, landed and released dolphinfish. We ended up keeping two that had been gut-hooked. After catching around (and releasing) another 3 fish I was pretty happy with the venture. My wife had caught and released a similar number. But Eulogio kept looking and did not seem at all to be in a hurry to get back into port. I had explained to him that I was more of a species fisher than one interested in size or prestige. He looked for billfish and other species but was unable to get any to bite. But he tried. Patiently.

Finally at around 1 pm I told him that I was happy and wanted to head back. He told me he did not mind staying out. When I assured him we had had our fill of fishing and were quiet happy, he drove to port. It was very obvious to me that this man loved his job, enjoyed helping clients and was out to give his clients a quality, fun-filled experience. I was impressed with his demeanor and willingness to honor what I wanted to do. I have had significant problems in the past with captains that practically refuse to release anything but he was not at all like that.

We met Pam in port. I bought a few of her high-quality T-shirts and headed back to the hotel. As a person who has fished all over the world, I was very impressed with Pam's operation. I plan to return to Loreto next year. I will be calling her again...hopefully not so late at night though! ....thanx Pam! .. Jon
dao45
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2008 at 09:17 PM

Sounds like a great time was had by all.
Could you possiblly recomend a place to stay in Loreto?
Also what does pam s business charge for a day of fishing?
JaraHurd
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2008 at 09:25 PM

Dao..I stayed at The Inn At Loreto Bay. It is pricey ($256 a day) and I am on the fence as to whether I would stay there again..definitely not if I had my personal vehicle with me as there is limited parking. It is a resort type place which is not my cup of tea..but my wife was with me and I wanted to pamper her a bit. I will leave the recommendations to others who know Loreto far better than I do.

I fished with two other outfits in Baja during my stay and Pam's rates escape me..but they are posted on her website. They were reasonable and consistent with the other services.... I posted this info because Pam impressed me and went the extra mile. That is worth more than money to me. I would trust her with my loved ones...

I am a fishing T-shirt nut and hers are VERY well done. And she uses Hanes Heavy WeightT's. See..quality all the way around!! j
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 01:23 PM

Nice report JaraHurd! Pam has an excellent reputation for taking care of her clients and her captains finding the fish. Where did you find the fish?I am thinking when you say Dolphinfish, you mean Dorado?Probably the same thing.Did you get time to beach on Isla Carmen or any other island?How was the weather and water temp? Waiting for more!!:spingrin:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
JaraHurd
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 01:35 PM

Sally. Dunno. I am not familiar with the Loreto area fishing scene. All I know is he put on us on fish. We trolled feathers then cast live scad and mackerel. All of it worked very well. The fishing was not as good as the day prior. The full-phased moon was cited as a possible reason..but the fishing seemed pretty good to me!
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 03:27 PM

I had a similar experience with Pam a few years back. My daughter was 12 and had never been Panga fishing before. Pam set us up with a patient captain who was more than willing to help make her experience memorable, not only her catching a 30# dorado and Dad a Stripped Marlin, but when he saw a whale blow he ran us over for an up close and personal as well as running us through the largest pod of dolphins I have ever seen. Pam runs a first class operation and is a friendly person as well. Even when I have gone down there towing our own boat I have stopped in and said hello and gotten the fishing report, as well as buying replacements for the t-shirt that reminds me of the 2 days that my daughter and I had on the water.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
I am thinking when you say Dolphinfish, you mean Dorado?Probably the same thing.

One in the same Sallysouth. "Dolphin" seems to be favored by East Coast anglers. While "dorado" is the popular name on the west coast and south of the border. A close second is the old standard "mahi-mahi" which i'm told is Hawaiian fr "strong-strong". An appropriate name!
JaraHurd
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 04:20 PM
Dolphin the Fish

Thanx for the assist Cardon Man. Actually, my buddies in Florida call them dolphin but I call them dolphin fish to avoid confusion. Dorado has always been a nickname for them but same fish. Maybe then need to be renamed. Dorado sounds cool too though! Mahi mahi sounds too exotic and commercial but it will work too..

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.