BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Exploring near San Felipe (and Killer Bees)!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 9-25-2008 at 04:16 PM
Exploring near San Felipe (and Killer Bees)!!!

On occaision, I get emailed request for Baja travel or other information... Here is a letter I recieved from 'Dario de Baja' about 3 weeks ago (Sept. 8, 2008). Darryl has given me permission to share his story with you all...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning David. We're going out tomorrow morning to try and locate the turquoise mine near San Felipe. My information is that it is North and West of San Felipe. My understanding is that going North from San Felipe on 5, when you get to the small hill on the East side of the road look for a road going West. This is approx. 10-12 miles or so north of San Felipe.
Do you have any information on the location?
Thanks,
Darryl

Dario De Baja

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Darryl,

I have not been there, but I just reviewed my copy of Bruce Barber's excellent 2003 (geology/ rockhound) guide of the San Felipe area '... of Sea and Sand', for you.

Starting on page 188: " a place improperly called a 'turquoise mine' (the ore is actually sulfide of copper),..."

It is in an area Bruce calls 'Clamshell Canyon 1', the road is 200 meters south of Km. 166 marker. A lone house is on the opposite side of Hwy. 5 from the road.

In reading that chapter, it sounds interesting with many beautiful elephant trees, volcanic strutures and he even saw a full grown mountain lian jump out from behind a bush!

I would get a copy of Bruce Barber's book... perhaps at that bookstore in San Felipe that is upsatairs on the malecon? Otherwise, call the publisher at 888-808-5440 ($14.95 + 3.95 shipping).

Because you may not find his book before tomorrow morning, here on some notes as I scan that chapter:

An 'S' turn is not far from Hwy. 5 crossing a waterway. The far side are elephant trees.

The first 'Y' intersection is 3 miles from Hwy. 5. To the right is the volcanic caldera... very difficult to find but very interesting, he says.

The second 'Y' intersection is 7 miles from Hwy. 5 and the right fork there goes directly to 'Clam 1' (a clamshell covered area).

The left fork goes southwesterly to a parking area by the 'turquoise mine'... more on the area...

Sounds interesting, but a cooler month may be a better one to explore this area?

Hope I helped you on your trip! Take photos and share!!

David

(note to Nomads, Bruce Barber's book is full of off highway sight-seeing trip details and maps of the region north and south of San Felipe... a must have if you ever wonder what is in those hills and canyons. The book title '... of Sea and Sand' does not describe the contents at all... You can't judge a book by its title, they say!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi David. (9-19-08)

Well we went back to the area roughly described in your note to me. Thank you by the way for the information.

Due to the tropical depression that came through not too long before we went many of the roads were washed out. It made it even more fun and challenging. We found many, many interesting, unexplainable treasures. Some man made, others direct from mother nature herself.

We were within approx. 1/8 mile of the mine area when we were attacked by what I'm sure were African Killer Bees. They were very large and extremely aggressive. we were in a convoy of three 4 wheel drive vehicles, mine being the lead. The 3rd in the group, a jeep, the only one without a closed in top was attacked by these flying dive bombers.

They came out of nowhere and chased us for about a mile or so. Actively stinging one of the ladies in our group. No provocation. We were not even close to any trees when this all happened. My wife is allergic to bees, so I quickly rolled up all the windows to keep them out. They were dive bombing the windshield and glass looking for a way in. It reminded me of some sort of Hitchc-ck movie. The lady in the vehicle that was stung was fine, just very sore.

I talked to a guy that lives way out in the desert area away from town. He told me that his trailer was surrounded by thousands of these bees. They were trying to enter through the screens over the windows. He finally called the authorities out to help him as he couldn't even leave his trailer. Before they could arrive, the bees disappeared as fast as they had appeared.

Anyway, we're going to go out again when it is a little cooler and the jeep has it's top back on. I never even thought of that as a concern. But from now on I certainly will.
2 days after all this happened the rear window in the Bronco was smashed in a million pieces. Any other time i would have taken my time replacing it. But after that experience I found one 3 days later and put it in. The last thing we need is a bunch of wild bees stinging us 100 miles from nowhere!!

By the way. I just learned a couple of days ago that the author of that book you sent me the excerpt from is a member of our local AARP. I know his wife, but don't know him personally. However, it sounds like I'm the only guy in San Felipe that doesn't. Sounds like a good guy to know!!

Thanks again for your help. We'll be going to Gonzaga Bay soon. Think we're staying at Alfonsinas.
Darryl

Dario De Baja

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi David. (9-25-08)

I talked to someone yesterday that went out to the same general area near the turquoise mine. He said they also were attacked and chased by what we are calling African Wild Bees. They are extremely aggressive and will attack without provocation.

I was just wondering if you might want to let your readers know by posting a warning on your website etc.

Thanks,

Darryl

Dario De Baja

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONE! Thanks Dario de Baja!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2008 at 04:24 PM

I had a recent experience with these bees. I was running a 50k trail run in the Santa Cruz Mtns. Every so many miles, a group of runners would stir up the bees and next thing you know they would be swarming and stinging. I only got five stings for the day but others were in the double digits. Those suckers are aggressive!

Zac

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-25-2008 at 09:30 PM

Sounds like a great book David K, thanks for the info! I'm going to have to order that next time I have some extra cash.

Speaking of bees...

I actually stepped on a beehive once while plunge stepping down a step mountainside in back country of Oregon on the way down to a lake to get some water. The bees didn't get me - they got my friend a few yards behind me. We both ran downhill to the lake, swarm in tow...

I couldn't help but think how much like a cartoon the whole scenario was.. fortunately for us, the swarm stopped chasing us before we got to the lake..

Otherwise.. it would have been something like a bad mythbusters episode. :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 09:13 AM

Here's the book...

mailedD2.jpg - 21kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.