Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Steve Fossett Found
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 11:30 AM

No problem, Barry......during WWII the military carted them off if they were easy to get to, burried them or blew them up in place.

This past Thursday they recovered a Piper PA-28 from Lytle Creek in SoCal that went missing on June 3, 2001

[Edited on 10-4-2008 by bajaguy]

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
There is more to the "casual hiker" story........

He found the documents one day, discussed them with friends, his boss and his wife (who is a Mammoth Lakes Fire Captain).

The casual hiker said that he did not recognize the name "Steve Fossett" when he found the documents.

His boss hired a local film crew and the next day, the "casual hiker", the film crew and several friends went back to the crash site to look around.

After they did not find anything more of interest, and two days after discovering the documents, the "casual hiker" notified the authorities.........his wife, the Fire Captain also did not notify the authorities when she learned of the find..........

His boss has said that he contacted National Geographic and sold the film of the second attempt to locate Fossett..........

A true upstanding citizen without any ulterior motives, and his wife has an outstanding sense of duty....:fire:

Hey Bajaguy, where did you get this info? This sounds pretty underhanded, and as you said smacks of an ulterior motive. I was just wondering where you heard about this part of the story.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 06:04 PM

LA Times, Sacramento Bee, Fox News, MSN.....google the major news sources and put the peices together

CORRECTION on my earlier post......it was the Discovery Channel, not National Geographic

[Edited on 10-5-2008 by bajaguy]

Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 07:01 PM

What? Ol Tom Cage tryin to make a buck?:yes:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2008 at 07:47 AM

If I may be permitted:

I Was pulling Gliders into the Sierra Wave during the Late 60's. Flew the Mountains on many occasions.
I would suggest that this Pilot was unconsious/or Dead when he hit the Ground.
From the Mid 60's I was an Aircraft Accident Investigator for Associated Aviation Underwriters . As Claims Manager of the San Francisco Office I had responsibility for the Pacific Northwest.

As other Posters have noted, there are still many Accident sites with Debris still at the location> A good book to see is Aircraft Wrecks in the Mountains and Deserts of California 1909-2002 by G. Pat Macha and Don Jordon.

Flying into the Sierra Wave is a Task, but for a good and experienced Pilot it is Fun>
Also read "Exploring the Monster" which is about Bob Symons experiences out of Bishop.

This accident could have been the result of "A Deadmans Spiral".
I investigated sevearl Accidents of this type and we never ever were able to give a definite Cause. Because"Who knows the CAuse when all the Evidence is Destroyed /Unknown.?

Insurance Companies usually pay for Salvage removal if it is Mandated.

One of my first claims for Associated was to remove a DC8 from the Waters of San Francisco Bay_ japan Airlines 1968_

Skeet
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 11:22 AM

Thanks for the Photos!

After looking at some of the Photos of the Accident Scene I am still at wonder as to "Why did he change his original destinationafter Takeoff.
Why when changing it did he go to a place where he had had some great times of his Life??

It does appear that the Aircraft was not being controlled at the time it hit either intentional or otherwise.
The Debris line is very much like the Pa 400 Accident I worked out of Asusalito. Same Pattern.

Sure wih I was there to ask questions of all People whom had contact with him 2 weeks prior to takeoff.

Thanks again for the Photos.

Skeet
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 01:35 PM

Maybe he stroked, heart attacked, and hit the mountain? Or? Did he have a thermos bottle of coffee, maybe some snacks to enjoy the trip? :o
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 08:34 PM

Steve was a daredevil and he was just having a blast flying around in the canyons and mountain peaks enjoying the awesome scenery of devils postpile, waterfalls, lakes and spectacular geography.

He screwed up - he was a bold pilot and will not be an old pilot. :barf:

That's my two bits.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 11:12 PM

If our 'all seeing' California legislators become involved in the investigation, they will no doubt blame it on his talking on his cell phone while at the wheel!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.