Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Quintin Recommendations
Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2008 at 10:18 PM
San Quintin Recommendations

In case I can't make it to BOLA in the next couple weeks does anybody have any recommendations for places to stay and boats for rent in San Quintin? I normally blow by there headed south but time is short so looking for a place to fish a bit closer to San Diego. I would be driving so need a safe place I can park the truck and a place to stay for a couple days. I am also unfamiliar with what they are charging for boats and rooms so any info is much appreciated. Many thanks!!!

:?:
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 06:55 AM

Places to stay, Old Mill, Don Eddies, and Jardines. The first two are right next to the ramp, Jardine's down the road a bit. Don Eddies has a resturant, and as does Jardines. My choice would be Jardines. Just remodeled last year, single room $35. They have a website. http://hotel-jardinesbaja.com/.

Who to fish with. Kelly Catlin charges a little bit more then the rest, but is my first choice. He fishes off a Parker $600. up to six fishing....would not go with more than four. He also has pangas mas o menos $300. Kelly's a California boy that been in business down there for 20 years. His son Oscar, and George (Bird) are capts. Oscar also works at Jardines after he's done fishing for the day...very hard working young man. I like going with them because they bust ass to get fish, and my spanish is still weak, communication is no problem. Pedro's is my second choice, Gordo Pez would be my choice of capt., prize a little less than Kelly.

I'm heading down the 24th of this month...hoping the bite holds till I get down there. Let me know if you want to share a panga, or if we can get Kelly's Parker for the day...would like at least three for the Parker.

Have not fished Bay of L.A., what do they charge?

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 10-8-2008 by TonyC]
Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 02:13 PM
Thanks!

TonyC,
Thanks much for the good info. I had plans for BOLA this weekend but hurricane Norbert put the brakes on that idea. Nice to know there is a good spot or two in San Quintin. I am going to shoot for BOLA again in 2 weeks (same weekend you mention) but San Quintin will be my backup plan if the weather does not look so good. I normally prefer the calmer waters of the gulf as a decent swell on the Pacific side might have me chumming the fishies if the bonine fails! BOLA has a lot of wind issues so you have to get in there on the calm days or the boats don't go out. I may be up for splitting a boat if it looks like BOLA is out. Down in BOLA they charge around $150/day for a no frills panga. Prices go up from there for the nicer boats. I guess I will keep watching the weather and fish reports and make up my mind early in the week of the 20th. I hope the bite is still on!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Places to stay, Old Mill, Don Eddies, and Jardines. The first two are right next to the ramp, Jardine's down the road a bit. Don Eddies has a resturant, and as does Jardines. My choice would be Jardines. Just remodeled last year, single room $35. They have a website. http://hotel-jardinesbaja.com/.

Who to fish with. Kelly Catlin charges a little bit more then the rest, but is my first choice. He fishes off a Parker $600. up to six fishing....would not go with more than four. He also has pangas mas o menos $300. Kelly's a California boy that been in business down there for 20 years. His son Oscar, and George (Bird) are capts. Oscar also works at Jardines after he's done fishing for the day...very hard working young man. I like going with them because they bust burro to get fish, and my spanish is still weak, communication is no problem. Pedro's is my second choice, Gordo Pez would be my choice of capt., prize a little less than Kelly.

I'm heading down the 24th of this month...hoping the bite holds till I get down there. Let me know if you want to share a panga, or if we can get Kelly's Parker for the day...would like at least three for the Parker.

Have not fished Bay of L.A., what do they charge?

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 10-8-2008 by TonyC]

And not only is Jardines a beautiful place to stay---great rooms, friendly owners, and wonderful gardens, but also a wonderful restaurant.

Can't wait to stay there again.

TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 07:42 AM

Also, have a amigo at El Socorro. He charges $150. for a old school panga fishing. Fernando launches off the beach at Socorro for inshore fishing, Calcos, Sandies, WSB, YT, and rojos. Bite right now is on, but I want to get in on the paddies offshore for Tuna, Dodos, and YT. Didn't get any Tuna last month with Oscar, but it's fishing.

Would be down for Bay of L.A. for a day, if bite at San Quintin slows. I want to fish there at least once this year.

Fernando also has a house at Socorro for rent $50-$60 dollars per night. If you want to stay at El Socorro. I posted pics of the house in the accomodation fourm, check it out.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 09:37 AM

Just came back from San Quintin and spent some time with Guillermo and Carmen at Los Jardines. The place is really very nice right now and the grounds are in manicured condition. The rooms are spacious and nice and the restaraunt is very nice as well. If you have kids, I saw a very nice, large enclosed play area right next door to the north.

For fishing I would suggest you hook up with El Tiburon. Great guy and you are guaranteed a fun day.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 10:55 AM

BajaGringo,

Couldn't agree more about Jardines. Guillermo is a great host, sorry I didn't get to meet Carmen though. One of the must stops either coming or going on our trips to Baja Sur!

Ken
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 10-21-2008 at 10:09 AM

Just to let everybody know the Old Mill restaurant and bar is back open. Was told that they were remodeling the kitchen and now will be open daily / closed on Wednesdays.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.