BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ford f-150 off road truck.....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 09:58 PM
Ford f-150 off road truck.....

I've been looking at a few videos of their soon to be off-road truck.....good suspension travel...real shocks....rear lockers in 2 wheel drive.....looks like it would be a very good vehicle for BAJA ....:yes:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 10:48 PM

Based on their current stock values, their NASCAR pullbacks, etc., I would not hold out a lot of hope for innovative developments from FoMoCo.

(did you read today that the market cap value of "Hot Wheels" is greater than the market cap for GM?)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 08:34 AM

I wish one of the truck builders would offer a real off-road truck. The under body clearance, suspension setups and brakes on whats available are crap. If nothing else at least offer a shock setup that really works off-road and I can live with pulling a fuse on the anti-lock brake systems.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

eureka.gif posted on 11-5-2008 at 01:22 PM

Better find a good after market parts manufacturer. Build a large warehouse/garage. Put in lots of shelves. As for parts, buy one of each. :lol:

sweetsunshine

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 02:05 PM
need to get to Loreto

Hi.... I am not sure how to use this forum, If you could help me. I am looking for someone on the west coast who could possibly pull my 5th wheel to Loreto, on the Sea of Cortez. I have the hitch if they are willing to install it. It is a small (24') trailer, a 1988 Omega, relatively light-weight (5,000 - 6,000#) I would follow in my Honda. I am interested in leaving asap. I am a single woman, trying to meet up with my best friend of 20 years. She moved to Loreto 4 years ago with her aged Mother. She is in need of my help, as Margie has to be watched every minute. She is now recouperating from hip surgery in San Diego, and will be back in Loreto in 3 weeks. If you could tell me how to get the word out, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sorry to bother you, but didn't know how to proceed on this web-site. I have heard of great results by posting here. Can you help me? Sincerely, Sweetsunshine ( in rainy Oregon:(
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 02:13 PM

I've been driving Ford Trucks in Baja since 1967. Ford trucks never let me down in the wilds of Baja. I have two Fords now, 95 Bronco and a V10 Excursion.

I may look into the new 150 to replace my Bronco. Looks like a nice off road vehicle!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 02:26 PM
Sweetsunshine.

I love your name. Great for Baja! Welcome!

Go to top of page. Hit the purple Bajanomad banner. You will then see all the different forum catagories. Choose the one that seems the most appropriate and then start a New Topic.:D

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 03:04 PM

I'm sure it will go plenty of places in Baja and bring you back - safe & sound. 2WD is definitely the limiting factor, though...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetsunshine
Hi.... I am not sure how to use this forum, If you could help me. I am looking for someone on the west coast who could possibly pull my 5th wheel to Loreto, on the Sea of Cortez. I have the hitch if they are willing to install it. It is a small (24') trailer, a 1988 Omega, relatively light-weight (5,000 - 6,000#) I would follow in my Honda. I am interested in leaving asap. I am a single woman, trying to meet up with my best friend of 20 years. She moved to Loreto 4 years ago with her aged Mother. She is in need of my help, as Margie has to be watched every minute. She is now recouperating from hip surgery in San Diego, and will be back in Loreto in 3 weeks. If you could tell me how to get the word out, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sorry to bother you, but didn't know how to proceed on this web-site. I have heard of great results by posting here. Can you help me? Sincerely, Sweetsunshine ( in rainy Oregon:(

Sweetsunshine,
I reposted your question in the Nomad 'Questions and Answers' forum, check there for possible answers. Click here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35182

[Edited on 11-9-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 08:53 AM

f-150 raptor...fox racing shocks with reservoir and 12" of travel
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamikey
f-150 raptor...fox racing shocks with reservoir and 12" of travel

How will this vehicle not hold up to casual camping trips on the peninsula? I think this would make a great family camping machine for the backcountry.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 08:11 AM

From Car and Driver:

Ford F-150 Raptor - Spied
Think SVT Lightning with off-road capability.

BY ALISA PRIDDLE, PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS DOANE AND BRIAN WILLIAMS FOR BRENDA PRIDDY & CO. AND THE MANUFACTURER
April 2008

Ford’s extreme pickup, the F-150 Raptor, is becoming more real by the minute, presumably with the long-awaited Boss V-8 engine under the hood.

Here are the latest spy shots of the monster truck that is expected to go on sale as a 2010 or 2011 model, restoring our faith in Ford for recognizing the need for specialty performance vehicles and for resurrecting plans for a Hemi-fighting V-8.

The camo’d mule in an F-150 body was caught by photographers about the same time that Ford officials in Vegas—there for the automaker’s 2008 Dealer Show—were teasing their audience with video footage of a Raptor mule bombing across the desert at high speeds. Ford’s new marketing chief Jim Farley reportedly was downright giddy as a picture of the production grille was shown, with the Ford name stamped into its black mesh, according to the guys at FourWheeler.com.

Here Comes the Boss

The anticipated Boss engine was quoted as being rated at 380-horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. However, everything Car and Driver has learned to date has us expecting a 400-plus hp 6.2-liter V-8 from the new modular Boss family. This would one-up the 6.1-liter Hemi, the 5.7-liter V-8 in the Toyota Tundra; and GM’s 6.0-liter V-8. And since the future of Ford powertrain evolves around EcoBoost—direct-injection and often turbocharged gasoline engine technology—we expect this to be a hallmark of the Boss engines, as well, although the 6.2 in the Raptor would be naturally aspirated.

Workers at Ford’s idled Essex Engine Plant in Windsor, Ontario, have been awaiting approval to build a new fuel-efficient V-8. While Ford officials have not confirmed the product tentatively slated to be built at the Canadian plant, the low-volume Boss appears to be a good fit. Windsor workers built the Triton modular V-8 that was in the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning pickup until it was discontinued in 2004.

Timing of the Raptor dovetails with recent confirmation from Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s product development chief, that we can expect a new modular V-8 for trucks by the end of the decade. This would be fruition of a project that dates back to 2005 when the engine was codenamed Hurricane.

Dealers in Vegas were also treated to a look at one of the Raptor's long-travel shocks, sourced from Fox Racing and specially built for the Raptor program. We are told it looks similar to Fox's 2.0 Piggy Back reservoir shocks with 12 inches of travel—four more than the eight-inch shocks currently on Ford's FX-4 off-road trim package. In other words, this baby is ready to rock both on and off the road.

Ford execs are fired up about the new truck as well, telling dealers the Raptor is “the first and only Baja 1000 Trophy Truck you'll be able to buy from a dealer," and promising to "drive this (and other vehicles shown to Ford dealers) right up Toyota's a**." Now them’s fighting words!

SVT a Still Virile Team

Ford created its Special Vehicle Team in 1992. The performance team crafted the Mustang Cobra and F-150 Lightning pickup, followed later by SVT versions of the Ford Contour and Focus. When the Lightning was phased out in 2004, it left the Dodge Ram SRT-10 as the undisputed performance-pickup king.

But the super-Ram has also since been discontinued, and Ford continues to insist SVT is not dead, just diminished. The most recent use of the badge was to produce 1000 of them to slap on the limited-run 2008 Shelby GT500KR Mustang. Prior to that, the last SVT vehicle was the 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. Ford has insisted the division was on hiatus, but continues to exist and that is has been working on an SVT truck—presumably the Raptor—since the fall of 2006

As for the Raptor itself, the front clip of the mule running around appears to be modified version of the new and pending 2009 F-150. The air intake in the front bumper is larger and sports a wide grin, although we don’t think it is to feed more air to an intercooler for a turbocharger—at least not initially. Cooling vents atop the hood would function to lower engine compartment temperatures when this beast is in full steam.

“Premium fuel only” labels have also been spotted on prototype instrument panels, further fueling our optimism the Boss is on track.

And the photographers got close enough to read the tires: Toyo Open Country All Terrain Light Truck LT 325/70R-17s, which convert to 35 X 12.50-inch tires on 17-inch wheels—perfect for gnarly terrain.

All we can say is: bring it on.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 10:18 AM
If I needed a serious 4WD for Baja...

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 05:37 PM

I've got one of those:yes:......figured it would take me anyplace I would be likely to go in BAJA.....(now to chase those narcos out so I can feel better about going down more).......:biggrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.