Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Norcal to Gonzaga/Punta Final
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 05:19 PM
Norcal to Gonzaga/Punta Final

Just got back from 8 days in Baja. We crossed in TJ last monday morning and worked our way through Ensendada, across through Valle T to San Felipe for lunch. Made it down to Gonzaga that night.

The road is rougher than I've ever seen it. Our truck has pretty fancy suspension and we're normally able to make pretty good time. This time however, the section from Puertocitos to Huerfanito was downright brutal.

Below Huerfanito, it mellow outs, but the washboard has evolved into foot deep whoops for the remaining 30+/- miles to Gonzaga. I have to admit that the section below Huerfanito, in the right vehicle, is a hoot. We run a super beefy Toyo tire that is almost impossible to flat and Fox 2.5 inch diameter racing shocks with remote reservoirs. That set up allows for an amazingly controlled ride through pretty crazy stuff.

Gonzaga was great, but we had lots of wind. We spent a day down at Punta Final just checking the area out. Beautiful, but if it's windy in Gonzaga, it's nuking in Punta Final. I'm pretty envious of desertcpl's photos. When were were at that same point, the waves were about 6 feet high.........seriously. I almost broke out my longboard.

We still ended up having several very nice days of swimming, snorkeling, beach walks with the kids, etc.

The food at Alfonsinas was great as usual, and we also found a nice new (to us) restarant called Anecitos at KM 35 heading south from San Felipe. Great food, great service and reasonable prices.

I'd highly encourage anyone passing through there to skip many of the joints in SF and make Anecitos your new lunch/dinner stop.

As far as the paving goes, they are advancing, BUT, I honestly can't imagine them moving very quickly. They've only gone a short ways past Puertocitos, and they haven't even gotten to the really rough section yet. I also can't imagine that road lasting. There's barely 3-4 inches of asphalt and the drainage is really bad from what we could see.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 08:44 AM

Great report!

We ate at Anecito's in Colonia Delicias, named after the founder of Bahia Santa Maria, Anecito Madueña) last May... was very good! It is along the highway, just past the doctor's office. We are leaving in a little while for that region, so we may eat there again soon!

[Edited on 11-15-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 08:49 AM
gonzaga

when we went down last october,, we was staying with friends and pt final,, was planning on staying a few days,,but a hugh storm came up,, it was terrible,, we made a run for it,, my Toyota, Tacoma,, got sand blasted,, had to replace the windshield,, and yes the road is really terrible,, my friend in pt final,, refers to the road ,, ( the road from hell) on our way down we stopped for breakfast at campo Percebu its a really nice clean resturant right on the beach,, food was great,, we have stopped there several times now

[Edited on 11-15-2008 by desertcpl]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 08:51 AM

the worse winds in baja i have ever experienced were at Punta Bufeo.
sounds like you have a pretty sweet vehicle set up, Marek.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 08:52 AM

Glad you had a good time---that is one of my favorite places.

Hope that next time you will make it back down on the cold pacific side for another visit----don't make it so long between trips.

Diane

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 04:48 PM
hi marek

sent you a u2u

[Edited on 11-15-2008 by desertcpl]
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 08:24 PM

Sorry, busy weekend. Desertcpl, check your u2u.

I've always enjoyed the road to Gonzaga, but then again, you have to know what you are getting into, and what your rig is capable of.

There are plenty of vehicles out there that can run it A LOT faster, but they are caged, full harnesses, etc. We run with kids, coloring books and coolers :yes:. Here's a link to some pictures of my truck and a few others as well. I'll try and post some recent photos when time permits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30288913@N08/

Unfortunately, Baja seems further and further away next year. I've already got some great trips planned (rafting the grand canyon, surfing in the Maldives) and there's only so much time and money. However, I always seem to find a way to squeeze in a trip.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that trips with kids to Baja that are less than two weeks in length are not as much fun as longer trips. It's simply too much time in the car.

I'm also having to realize (and I'm sure many will agree/disagree), that Baja HAS changed. Many of the places that we used to camp are now private property. Many of the things that we used to do are not safe. It's a tough reality to accept, but a reality nonetheless.

There's still plenty of fun to be had and amazing experiences to enjoy, it just seems a little tougher to get to those places.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2008 at 09:52 AM
hi

cant open up your web page,,
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2008 at 11:46 AM

yeah ya can - the link truncates don't use it, copy the entire code and paste in your browser picture site opens fine.
and sweet truck!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2008 at 01:46 PM
got it

got it capt. mike
thanks,, that is a baja rig for sure, very nice
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 10:37 AM

Thanks Capt. Mike. I'm actually dreaming of a rig a little more like yours. Now I just need to learn how to drive it (and fund it).
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 06:13 PM

ha!! well i could use a partner....and i can be your pilot whenever you want to share some avgas and eng time.
call me. e mail too.

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 09:42 PM

yES , Marek sweet truck, it had to be a DODGE:bounce:.
nICE TRIP REPORT.
Here is my 04 DODGE 1500 4X4

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 03:02 PM

We're heading out in 13 days. Goal is to make Gonzaga the first day. Still trying to decide where to cross. Why did you choose TJ instead of Tecate or Calexico (construction issue maybe?)? We have to get cards and to add to the pleasure, we're crossing on x-mas day. Well, if we're posting rig photos here will be our home for 2+ weeks:

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 03:41 PM

Cross at Tijuana for the fastest and easiest drive to Gonzaga (from San Diego area)... run down Hwy. 1 to Laguna Chapala and turn up to Gonzaga Bay for 36 miles of fair graded road (passing Coco's Corner).

Tijuana will have 24/7 INM service (for the FM-T) and payment for FM-T bank teller.

IF you go through San Felipe instead, you have 10 more dirt miles, but the nearly 50 total dirt miles are a lot worse than those via Coco's Corner.

Yah, it looks shorter on the map, via San Felipe... but it will take 2 more hours (or more) driving time, IMO.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 02:32 PM

Probably a good plan David.

Thanks for the trip report!!

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 07:10 PM

El gusto es mio!

marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 10:33 PM

When heading to Gonzaga, we typically cross at TJ and then head to Ensenada and cross over through Valle T. Down through San Felipe. You can make Gonzaga that day. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I've got places to stay around San Diego. If I could knew a good place to stay in Calexico, I'd probaby do that instead.

If you head down the highway through El Rosario, you can do it, but it will be a long day. I personally chose to drive the dirt road at night instead of the highway from El Rosario/Catavina to Laguna Chapala at night. The other thing is that I've found that the highway through San Quitin has a lot more traffic on it and there seems to be a lot of slow going.........at least a lot more so than years past.

The shortest route through Mexico to Gonzaga is through Calexico. You can be in Gonzaga in 5-6 hours from the border. You can have lunch at Alfonsinas.

When we came back, we came back that way and there was some construction, but it wasn't that bad. If you really want to get to Gonzaga the first day in the daylight, that is your best best. Besides, it's a great drive down the coast in the daylight.

Sweet rig deminimis. That's the next one on my list.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 10:45 PM

Thanks!

You gonna eat that?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.