Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Grande 2008: El Rosario/Baja Cactus/Tecate
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:20 PM
Baja Grande 2008: El Rosario/Baja Cactus/Tecate

El Rosario/Baja Cactus:

Baja Grande could not believe that for the same amount of money paid at Cabaņas Lindas in Cataviņa, we were treated to full luxury at Baja Cactus. Carmen thankfully held our 6 rooms, and we were able to wash the smelly swamp water from ourselves get an excellent nights sleep. Proprietor Antonio Muņoz was asleep in one of the rooms, and could not greet us this year. Carmen explained that business was way off. She thought it all hinged on the economy, but I explained the fear American travelers feel when visiting her country now. She felt bad about this, but she understood our position with regard to the security situation along the Mexican border. I promised to bring more Americans with me next year, and early the next day Baja Grande headed 3 hours north to Santo Tomas for brunch at the famous El Palomar restaurant. There, we dined one last time on the good stuff. Their Fish Tacos were out of this world.

Heading Home:

It took exactly 12 hours for me to drive from the El Rosario Pemex station to my driveway in Riverside, California. The border crossing in Tecate was a breeze. 30 minutes until we reached the border, and the customs guards there were cordial and professional. In Tecate, California our group took our last photographs. We all made new friendships, and will hopefully stay in touch and go four wheeling again as soon as time permits. VIVA BAJA GRANDE!!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:23 PM
Fine dining: The Desert Inn (Cataviņa)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:27 PM

CG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:29 PM

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the write up! Sorry the rains dampened your spirits some...

Glad you could meet up with Ralph near Santa Maria, he's always helpful.

How are those new BFG MT's? I saw the 4 door was running them, I like that tire & am thinking about getting some when my MT/R's wear down... But Baja can cut pretty much any tire, most of the guys in my club run biased ply swamper's so they don't have to worry about the side walls.

I remember that guy in the red hoodie from one of the runs down here, but I can't recall his name...

Any pics of the Toyota with the pop up?

[Edited on 11-30-2008 by CG]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CG
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the write up! Sorry the rains dampened your spirits some...

Glad you could meet up with Ralph near Santa Maria, he's always helpful.

How are those new BFG MT's? I saw the 4 door was running them, I like that tire & am thinking about getting some when my MT/R's wear down... But Baja can cut pretty much any tire, most of the guys in my club run biased ply swamper's so they don't have to worry about the side walls.

I remember that guy in the red hoodie from one of the runs down here, but I can't recall his name...

Any pics of the Toyota with the pop up?

Russ Chung is the guy wearing the hoodie. He was at every Baja Grande thus far - all 3 years.

Ron told me that the tires run quietly like an All-Terrain at HWY speeds, but "stick like glue on the rocks." I want a run a 35" set when my TrXus MTs wear down.

No pictures of the Toyota, but here was a picture taken near San Felipe...

[Edited on 11-30-2008 by Ken Cooke]

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
El Rosario/Baja Cactus:

Baja Grande could not believe that for the same amount of money paid at Cabaņas Lindas in Cataviņa, we were treated to full luxury at Baja Cactus. Carmen thankfully held our 6 rooms, and we were able to wash the smelly swamp water from ourselves get an excellent nights sleep. Proprietor Antonio Muņoz was asleep in one of the rooms, and could not greet us this year. Carmen explained that business was way off. She thought it all hinged on the economy, but I explained the fear American travelers feel when visiting her country now. She felt bad about this, but she understood our position with regard to the security situation along the Mexican border. I promised to bring more Americans with me next year, and early the next day Baja Grande headed 3 hours north to Santo Tomas for brunch at the famous El Palomar restaurant. There, we dined one last time on the good stuff. Their Fish Tacos were out of this world.

Heading Home:

It took exactly 12 hours for me to drive from the El Rosario Pemex station to my driveway in Riverside, California. The border crossing in Tecate was a breeze. 30 minutes until we reached the border, and the customs guards there were cordial and professional. In Tecate, California our group took our last photographs. We all made new friendships, and will hopefully stay in touch and go four wheeling again as soon as time permits. VIVA BAJA GRANDE!!
I sure hope times permits you to attend the next Matomi nomad trail ride 09
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35477&pag...

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

I want to go on this trip, but I will be "somewhere" in Latin America visiting w/someone special that weekend...:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 04:17 PM

Thank you for the trip report Ken...

About South America, did you forget what you told me before you went to Baja??!!!:?::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
About South America, did you forget what you told me before you went to Baja??!!!:?::biggrin:

Um, I think I have reoccurring amnesia. :?::bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 11:03 PM

Ken, the hard time I am giving you about your South American chicas AND your Baja Grande trip is ONLY because you are my friend!!! :light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

I want to go on this trip, but I will be "somewhere" in Latin America visiting w/someone special that weekend...:bounce:

Hey I don't blame you, If i was you, I would go to LA instated of Matomi,you are a smart guy you will make the right choise.let me see "BUNCH OF STINKY GUYS,DRINKING PACIFICOS OR DANCING BALLENATOS WITH MUJER BONITA, LET ME THINK UMUMUM, I WILL SAY MUJER BONITA OVER STINKY GUYS".

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, the hard time I am giving you about your South American chicas AND your Baja Grande trip is ONLY because you are my friend!!! :light::biggrin:

No worries, David. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I will be working on my Salsa dance moves that weekend though.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 09:34 PM

David posing in front of his full-size Bronco.

David's two little daughters enjoyed their trip to Baja with their father.

San Quintin

El Palomar -- Santo Tomas

Ron filling his Rubicon's gas tanks. We really didn't need to Gerry cans, but they were good insurance against getting stuck in the backcountry.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.