BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Windy in the Desierto Viscaino
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 12:37 PM
Windy in the Desierto Viscaino

We just drove back from La Paz to SoCal for the holidays with our chicas on Monday/Tuesday. Yesterday, Tuesday, was a bit wild and wooly! Very, very windy from Guerrero Negro to el Rosario. At times blowing 30mph and more from the north. First, a semi had rolled in the vicinity of Punta Prieta and taken out a family sedan with him. Both lanes were blocked so we drove around the mess down through the arroyo and must have cut a tire. About 20 km down the road we had a blowout on the right front, but fortunately it happened about 2 clicks from Nuevo Rosario. The tire was shredded but we never did lose control (we weren't driving very fast because of the wind). As luck would have it, the spare was low on air (my bad!). I said a little prayer for help, and sure enough, Jesus from Ejido Viscaino came along in about 2 minutes in his Ford minivan and gave me a ride to air up the spare and then a ride back to my car! Jesus refused any compensation, but when I insisted he purchase some gifts for his kids for Dia de los Reyes, he relented.

Then in the area of Catavina, blowing 30 in the flatland, we could see two SUV's coming at us way down a long straight away, each pulling 25 to 30 foot travel trailers. The wind was blowing broadside and the trailers were being blown off the pavement and off the drop off shoulder too. The SUV's were fishtailing but they just kept coming at about 40 to 50 mph. We pulled off the road and stopped way out of the way until they passed. They both had Oregon plates.

Wow, I hope they got to where they were going in such a hurry! I know I would have been parking those things until things calmed down. After El Rosario and a fuel stop, things improved immediately. Be careful out there on Hwy 1!

Regular, $1.59, in SoCal?! Unbelievable!

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by oxxo]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 01:06 PM

one of the benefits of all that wind!!!!!:o:P:light::bounce::wow:

100_1303 (Small).jpg - 48kB

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
The SUV's were fishtailing but they just kept coming at about 40 to 50 mph. We pulled off the road and stopped way out of the way until they passed.

Gees, we would have been parked right along side of you--way out of their way. Can't imagine anyone being in that kind of a hurry.

Always awful to see the bad accidents---glad your blow-out didn't cause you more problems. Good thinking about presents for the kids. :yes:

Diane

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 01:40 PM

Was blowing 30 knots last night here too and this morning as well...lots of blowing sand...nasty stuff....but starting to calm down now. Good day to wrap xmas presents and drink tea. Juan tried to fish...silly man...got one tuna and came back in.
It will be a nightmare in Vizcaino and GN today...highway travellers beware.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
hisworker

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 07:01 PM

Pray the wind settles down heading to San Ignacio on Friday for a week towing a 19 ft trailer.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 07:10 PM

santa ana's in so cal mean wind in baja. it's gonna rain this weekend....

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hisworker
Pray the wind settles down heading to San Ignacio on Friday for a week towing a 19 ft trailer.

Be VERY, VERY careful. Please just park it, if there is any wind. The road is relatively narrow and you don't want to pass a semi and trailer, head on, if you are both fishtailing!

There so many places in Baja to explore you might find your new "very favorite place" by accident, even if it wasn't the destination you had planned.

Check the US weather map. If there is a high pressure area over the four corners area, the winds will be blowing in the Vizcaino desert.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 12-10-2008 at 08:56 PM

Good to know Jesus was in the area! ;) Even he would tell you,"take it easy!"

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 09:14 PM

Hit 40+ knots at time over here in San Carlos, along the foothills.

I think the summertime fishing is finally fin.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 08:28 AM

Whew...the wind yesterday tired everyone out and Juan and Surfdoc got real wet...bounced around and when they finally spotted the tuna, they got a huge one...biggest yet this year...about 35-40 lbs...but by the time they landed it....they were blown off the school and it was kicking up real bad so they came in.
But it calmed down in the afternoon and was perfect for shore fishing....Timo and Mr.Redmesa caught some really big croakers and corvina too which I'm hopin Barbareno will post her photos....although we have a busy day of lobster feastin ahead in one of the fish camps.
Tomorrow will be tuna day we hope so we can smoke up some more for the holidays as we already polished off last weeks booty.
So....rain on the weekend eh?????

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 09:24 AM
WINDY, YOU SAY?

It's so windy here in Conception Bay, my dog has to back up to bark.

a very windy day.jpg - 35kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.