BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Winter fishing off the coast (fly fishing?)
marchesi

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 02:11 PM
Winter fishing off the coast (fly fishing?)

Going on a surfing trip to Baja from El Rosario to Cabos end of december to Mid january. Will I be able to find any decent fishing off the pacific coast (fishing from shore). Any fly fishing? Any fishing using lures?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 02:34 PM

El Rosario to Cabo is about 750 miles, so I would try to narrow down a little bit about where your really want information.
In general there can be some good fishing from shore with either bait or lures. You will want something that can cast out a good distance to get into the feeding zone. Fly fishing, which became popular after "A River Runs Through It" may not be the most productive method of catching dinner but can be a good time, but you have to pick your area pretty carefully. At San Pedrito which was a major surfing spot, I used to do very well with a flyrod when the sierra were in and we kept everyone in Ceviche for the whole time that we were there.

marchesi

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info "Pescador"! Unfortunately I don't have more specifics on where exactly I'll be. It's going to be a road trip dictated by the surf. I was just wondering what I should expect fishing in the winter from shore in that stretch of water and if it's worth giving it a shot (most people tell that there is not much going on in Baja in the winter). Do you know of any species that I might be able to catch?
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 06:46 PM

south el rosario to gurrero you ct (maybe) corbina, many types of croaker, halibut, calico, sand bass, puffer, barrios, black sea bass, white sea bass, lizard fish, perch, some types of bottom fish. south of there pelegic fish, snapper, grouper, varios bottem fish, sierra, barrios, jacks, reef fish, and many more. good luck and bring krocs and scapis for the pacific and poppers,rangers, rebels, rapalas, krocs, cast masters, live bait rigs for the beaches of cabo and the gulf.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 06:58 AM

Being a surf guy,40 miles or so Below El Rosario is a spot for you,Punta San Carlos,sandy sections for halibut and the croakers,chance for wsb,off the rocks all kind of critters.
Rob
Kastmasters in the sand,squid for the critters
marchesi

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 07:33 AM

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the good info! Any idea if the species you mentioned will be catchable in the winter off the surf/shore? I fished in the past S.Cal in the winter and it was pretty dead... 4baja mentioned Corbina, one of my favorite critters to catch off the surf. In S. Cal corbina are only around in the summer. Is it different there? On an other note. What is the surf like on Punta San Carlos? Is it a good place to camp surf? Have you ever gone down to Punta Canoas?
Paolo
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 07:50 AM

san carlos is a big wind surf area wich means winddddd. there is a good point wich is useually mushy but have had good surf there. fishing is ok with croaker and halibut but the water is usually dirty off brown. fishing is best off the island(walk to at low tide) and off the sand beach. with only two weeks i wouldnt mess with canoas, it is a long way in and if it rains you wont get out, i would consentrait on the altamira north sisters for surf and fishing. if the water stays fairly warm the halibut will still be there. be prepared for east wind in this area because it can blow for weeks and get down right miserable. i allways camper shell camp for this reason and not tent as i have seen many tents blow into the ocean. good luck.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 09:08 AM

Been to San Carlos 3 times and had wind once but this was in the summer.
In this pic show the isla 4baja mention,the sand starts after the last point,google the the place,all the info,s there.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 09:17 AM

There are much nicer wsb out there!
Rob
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 09:32 AM

Also lots of these guys,again i don,t much about the winter.
Rob
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 10:45 AM

Here's a surf fishing site in So. Cal. that has a lot of info. http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/ Not on fly fishing but you can cheat and free line some of the baits they talk about. Shari has posted some really good croaker fishing recently from the shore. Most of the fun I think is just tossing stuff out to see what's there. Getting a strike is a prize.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 12:52 PM

Here's a link to a thread on flyfishing info for the surf. Tells you the how, but not the where (in baja).

http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10305
marchesi

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 08:22 AM

Great site! Thanks you guys...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.