Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Santa Gertrudis to Rancho Santa Barbara on the Jesuit Camino
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2010 at 09:59 PM

Rode from san francisquito to barille and down the coast to trinadad then back to san ignacio... this is the Malcolm Smith trail. It was lost a few years ago from a giant storm. guys were spending the night on the trail! only 140 miles long. I did it again a year ago... and I really dont think anybody is coming in from san gertrudis. It all looks good on google earth and in the almanac, but I want to hear it from the guy that did it!

TW I did your chapala to the coast route last year and had a blast. This year were going to go from catavina to coast then south to villa jesus maria.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-31-2010 at 12:07 AM

That trail is NOT the Malcolm Smith trail!! Bill Nichols developed it and introduced Malcolm to it. Lizard Lady (Kacey) calls it the No Wimps Trail and it took 9 hours last year from San Ignacio to San Francisquito....

Bill set me straight on that!!

Scroll down this link to pics of Bill's gray truck and read my ride report about meeting Bill in BoLA( just over half way down page):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199166&page=6

Don't believe everything you think....
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 09:20 PM

Malcolm Smith Showed it to the lizard lady, who renamed it, put it in a book, and sold it. So I guess if it wasnt his ... it sure as hell wasn't hers. I had heard only of Malcolm on this trail before . I rode the trail in the late 90's and there were 4 wheel vehicles at each end.... but no way for 4 wheel passage between. Its awesome out there on the coast at trinidad where you know so few have been. It would be a great day trip from San francisquito to Los Corales, (about the end of 4 wheel traffic).
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 09:26 AM

I road this rout, with a buddy on a pair of XR600's, in the 80's before Malcolm and there were M/C tracks In front of us. There were people living in Rancho Trinidad at the time, with only mule acess , they said that a M/C rider cam thru ,by himself , 4 months before.This was before hand held GPS units it was quite a adventure. I asked Malcolm if the earlier tracks were his he said no he didn't know who it was.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 11:12 AM

Kacey makes no claims to the trail....I will let Bill and Malcolm duke this out....

I believe that Kacey rides with Bill more than with Malcolm.

As other threads point out, NO riders or surfers have ANY claim to roads or trails...:cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 12:07 PM

Kevin Ward (m/c racer, tour guide, Dust to Glory movie location producer) has covered all these trails for years, perhaps it is his tracks you saw? He was the rider who also made it to Mision Santa Maria from Gonzaga and back, on the El Camino Real years ago and that is something even our friend the Lizard Lady, Kacey Smith wasn't able to do.

Kevin had posted on the old Amigos de Baja forum using the handle 'slider'. We have not met, but exchange emails and seems like a really nice person. He sent me a map showing his various rides beyond auto roads.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 02:04 PM

Dave,

I did that route twice in November/December 2010 in that fine
German 4X4 truck.
Once from El Barrill going South and the other time up North - all the way along the cost (as far it let you). What a nice route it is!
I couldn't find the tracks using GE around the large salina, but it was very easy when on the ground. Great memories - visit St Gertrudis on Christmas Eve. The mission is named after a German lady (saint), no wonder I like that place so well.
Met also some wonderful people at Rancho San Carlos and San Alberto. I was hoping the road would go past San Carlos to Bahia Santa Ana, but it ended at the chicken coop - for right now;D
Karl

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.